What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ghostbusters -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Jeff: look on the right side of the payment page, usually about midway down. I had a hard time finding it too! And I used the "ghostblu" code; it wouldn't take the other code when I tried it, but that's probably because I entered it secondly and amazon will only accept one code at present. Well it's pretty cheap w/ $5 off! Good deal!

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just watched the Blu, and it's very nice indeed. The contrast still runs a little too hot for my own personal taste, but there's nothing here that should outrage anyone. I was expecting heavy grain yet it's pleasingly fine, at least to my eye.

While the Blu shares many of the traits of the 2005 DVD, it looks so much more natural. It got the seal of approval from the men in the know, so this should be the final word as to how Ghostbusters is presented.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

My stacked $10 discount is still there. And I think that if a retailer f's up the price or discounts like this it's their tough luck.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I'm a little apprehensive based on some comparison shots I've seen. But then other shots look quite good. It doesn't really matter, I'm ghostbusters' bitch.

I made my own cover for the Blu-ray, it's slightly retro in that I based it off of the original Laserdisc release. I thought I'd share it with you guys, that blue slime (blue coca-cola IMO) is just awful;

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/5/52/htf_imgcache_43073.jpeg] [/url]

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Flame shields up!!

I just watched this last night. The heavy grain may be intentional but I felt PQ looked like a slight notch above SDVD quality for around the first 40-43 mins then it seemed to improve and by the time it was finishing the PQ was better. Interiors were the big problem for me most exteriors looked acceptable but some interior shots looked totally dire I was really shocked for the first 10-15 mins.

Cannot remember how it looked at the cinema but guess this is how its meant to be in 1080P...........

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Robert, I am glad someone besides me remembers CED, as a high school kid, it was the only way I could afford home video in 1983. I even had a primitive matrix/delay surround system so I could get the rear channel on Dolby movies.

Ghostbusters was one of my most played CED's.

Robert, do you have any insight to the soundtrack mixing then, as compared to now for home video?

The reason why I ask is that I am quite familiar with the Ghostbusters soundtrack and which things were heard on the left and right and they are quite different from what I remember on the stereo track on the CED.

For instance, I remember a lot more directionality in places. For example, I remember the scene where Dana tosses Peter out and the door slams in the hall as Louis opens his door and it locks behind him as he comes out. On CED, the Dana's door slam was solidly on the right and Louis's door sounds were solidly on the left.

On blu ray, I can notice some slight directionality in 5.1 (mixed down from the true HD track) but nothing like it was on the CED disc.

Did they push or tweak directionality on older stereo enabled video formats where it was originally more subtle or is this true HD remix just plain different in some aspects compared to the original Dolby Stereo in terms of where sounds are heard.

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten

On the other hand, I think there are also lots of effects which do hold up quite well.

I just love this, it tells me: this is a film made in 1984, it is NO modern CGI fest.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm resurrecting this thread from the dead because I had the opportunity to view a vintage 35mm print of Ghostbusters over the weekend. It was nowhere near as grainy as the blu-ray and the contrast is nowhere near as blown out. After watching it, I popped in both the blu-ray and the original DVD, and the original disc is a much closer match to the film than the blu-ray is.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
worth, that's an interesting note. btw, i re-edited (reconstruction) the original trailer in hd and in oar... check it out :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks