What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ghost Story -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The first time that I saw John Irvin's Ghost Story, was during a dubbing session at Universal for which I was permitted to sit in.

I was there putting the finishing touches on Gance's Napoleon, for a 70mm 6-track release.

Ghost story wasn't quite complete, and in many cases, where effects were needed, they were not yet cut in, and a title "effect missing" would hit the screen in its place.

I love this film.  Not only as an adjunct to the Peter Struab novel, but as a chance to see some of the actors that I had so cherished for decades, at least one last time.

There's a wonderful interview with Alice Krige, who plays, well you'll find out, and she talks about walking into a read, and finding herself sitting with Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. and John Houseman.  Best to watch  the interview, which, along with other extras on the disc, makes this release well worth whatever the final street price happens to be.

Great mystical horror, and a wonderful way to visit with some of the Hollywood greats, along with new faces.

Color, densities, are fine.  Grain structure is very comfortable, along with black levels and shadow detail.

I'll offer a paragraph from the great Roger Ebert (you can read his entire review on rogerebert.com):

"Ghost stories should always begin as this one does, in shadows so deep that the flickering light of the dying fire barely illuminates the apprehensive faces of the listeners. They should be told in an old man's voice, dry as dust. They should be listened to by other men who are so old and so rich that we can only guess at the horrors they have seen. And, of course, ghost stories should be about things that happened long ago to young, passionate lovers who committed unspeakable crimes and have had to live forever after with the knowledge of them. If at all possible, some of the characters should be living in this life, filled with guilt, while others should be living the half-lives of the Undead, filled with hatred and revenge."

This is a film that needs to be in every serious cinephiles library.

Image - 4.75

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4.75

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It really had some scary moments for me when I first saw it in the theater, and I was very impressed with Alice holding her own with these old pros.

Haven't watched it in many years. I should seriously think about buying this.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've often wondered if it's good. Worth the price of admission for Melyvn Douglas for me. Also Patricia Neal. The others are icing on the cake.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I had read the book, and really liked it, before they made it into a movie, which I saw on opening night. It is exceptional. Casting Fred Astaire et al in those roles added a layer of meaning that took the film far beyond the usual book-to-movie adaptation. Watching those Hollywood legends having scary action fun in a classy production is a real, rare treat.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robert Harris said:
An odd, and inappropriate remark. If you have facts, I suggest you lay them on the table. If not...
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I think what really happened is lost in the mysterious fog of 1930s Hollywood, although in the context of this particular film, the remark seemed kind of appropriate. Anyway Mr. Harris, I appreciate all of your restoration efforts and the fact that you take the time to write on HTF. I read you religiously. Won't mention it again.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I had two little cousins, Missy and Mandy, who used to love it when I would tell them scary stories. They thought I was the very best storyteller in THE WORLD. Of course, all I was doing was repeating the plots to movies I had seen that I knew there was NO chance they would have been familiar with. THIS one scared the ever living shit out of them (awful of me, really, they were only about 9 and 5 when I first told it to them but I had just seen it on HBO so I figured what hell, maybe they'd stop bugging me for stories if I flattened them with a really juicy one) but it became their absolute favorite. They would be terrified (especially of the lake!) but demand it over and over and over again. I finally came clean years later when we were all grown up!

I can't wait for this, I haven't seen it in forever! I've become quite a fan of Alice Krige over the years so it'll be nice to revisit her performance with the hindsight of her career in focus.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Somebody PM me about the Healy and Douglas connection as I don't see it despite the mystery of Mr. Healy's death.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I never heard the Healy/Douglas connection, either. Even the Healy/Beery connection is completely far-fetched, with absolutely no evidence to support it. None.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I think he was comparing the fictional guilty situation Melvyn Douglas' character and the other old guys in the movie are in with the Wallace Beery cover-up rumours. I've never been convinced about the Beery/Healy story myself.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
davidmatychuk said:
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but I think he was comparing the fictional guilty situation Melvyn Douglas' character and the other old guys in the movie are in with the Wallace Beery cover-up rumours. I've never been convinced about the Beery/Healy story myself.
Seems at bit TMZish for HTF. Waiting to find out how Lindsay and Kendall were involved.

Just seems inappropriate, especially as people are not around to fend for themselves.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree. This is the Home Theater Form, not the Celebrity Gossip-mongering Forum. Then there's the whole "speaking ill of the dead" issue that sadly seems to be largely ignored on the internet. But I digress; Let's get back to discussing the film at hand instead. :popcorn:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Looking forward to revisiting this one. I saw this for the first time when released in 1981 during my holiday break from college. To me it was thrilling to see a new movie, and a very good one at that, starring Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., John Houseman and Patricia Neal.

And On Golden Pond with Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda was released two weeks earlier. Teenagers and young adults actually paid to see adult fare like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks