What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Ghost -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount's new Blu-ray of Ghost (due 12/30) is not only a gorgeous Blu-ray disc, but also a veritable gift from Paramount Home Entertainment.

The deal being offered continues their earlier $10 rebates found with other titles. In this case, ten new BD releases have been added inclusive of Truman Show, Ghost, Last Holiday and Days of Thunder.

At Amazon, the new Blu-rays can be had at a 1/3 discount from list, bringing them down from $29.99 to $19.99.

Already have a standard definition release of Ghost?

Final cost, after rebate, $9.99.

And that's what I perceive to be a gift.

How does the film look?

Absolutely gorgeous, and much like film.

No downside here. The offer is in place from 12/16 - 31.

Ghost on Blu-ray from Paramount is Recommended, and the deal makes it an offer that should be very difficult to turn down.

RAH

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

It has been on order with Amazon for a while. Thank for your thoughts the item Mr Harris! :D

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
True, but I'm wondering if some of the noise Pat is complaining about is created by the opticals? He specifically mentions the title sequence which, at the time, would have been created optically, resulting in grain build-up.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I noted the same "grain in darker areas" that Pat noted. What one is seeing when viewing this film in Blu-ray is at least a generation closer to what was seen in theaters, and without all of the various anomalies found in analogue projection.

What I'm seeing appears to be honest grain in the most thinly exposed areas of the frame, which seem to be a normal film look. This is a nice product from Paramount.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert, you convinced me to go for it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Yep, exactly, thanks for clarifying this, Mr. Harris. I made a follow-up comment in the review thread regarding this. It sure would be nice if everything could be "cleaned up" when they go to BD
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
!

PatWahlquist

Supporting Actor

Certainly not!! I was suggesting a wish for everything to undergo restoration work and care that Mr. Harris gave to "The Godfather" pictures, and other restorations by Lowry such as the "Star Wars" or James Bond pictures. However, it is and unrealistic expectation.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just watched it and enjoyed it thoroughly. I would rather studios not fine tune catalog titles that are in good shape already, such as this one, since more often than not the studio will over do it and ruin the transfer with DNR.

This transfer looks like a good quality print on the 2nd or 3rd day of release, still a very high quality presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks