What's new

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
The 1080p Blu of the 1940 version is available in the UK and looks excellent. Further, it is a far superior version of the story (imo) because the villain (Anton Walbrook of THE RED SHOES) is just so much more threatening than the suave Charles Boyer could hope to be, given his star-quality veneer. The protagonist, Diana Wynyard, is relatively unknown to us and therefore seems to be in genuine jeopardy when compared to the 1944 heroine played by Ingrid Bergman, who we know will absolutely survive, as she did in NOTORIOUS. Also, the earlier (British) version is anything but the slick Hollywood production that the 1944 MGM is, and for this kind of material, that can only be a good thing. The foggy London atmosphere seethes in the early version, and there is a terrifying sense of dread that one (at least subconsciously) can put aside while watching the glossy remake. I highly recommend obtaining the British version!

I expect many will disagree with my assessment, but, hey, what are forums for?

I totally agree with this assessment. However, I don't dislike the later version, I just think this one is quite a bit better.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I totally agree with this assessment. However, I don't dislike the later version, I just think this one is quite a bit better.

Based on Mr. Harris' review, I will probably pick this up as well, although it just seems stuffy and unsuspenseful to me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 1080p Blu of the 1940 British version is available in the UK and looks excellent. Further, it is a far superior version of the story (imo) because the villain (Anton Walbrook of THE RED SHOES) is just so much more threatening than the suave Charles Boyer could hope to be, given his star-quality veneer. The protagonist, Diana Wynyard, is relatively unknown to us and therefore seems to be in genuine jeopardy when compared to the 1944 heroine played by Ingrid Bergman, who we know will absolutely survive, as she did in NOTORIOUS. Also, the earlier version is anything but the slick Hollywood production that the 1944 MGM is, and for this kind of material, that can only be a good thing. The foggy London atmosphere seethes in the early version, and there is a terrifying sense of dread that one (at least subconsciously) can put aside while watching the glossy remake. I highly recommend obtaining the British version!

I expect many will disagree with my assessment, but, hey, what are forums for?
So people like you can post their opinion whether it's a minority or majority one.:)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So after two months, Amazon finally got this to me. I had the pleasure of watching both versions for the first time. Loved Boyer's performance as the suave yet threatening antagonist (yes I found him both) and Ms. Bergman...well let's say I would have paid money to watch her read from a phone book. Joseph Cotten proves to be an understated gem of an actor. It's interesting that although he was clearly a popular leading man in the 40s, with many acclaimed roles and films, he's not as well remembered in later years as Stewart, Grant, and even Bogart. IMO he belongs on the same pedestal as those actors.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 1940 version as well. I don't cast any aspersions on any of the talent from either film, I thought both were enjoyable in their own right. But I will admit to preferring the storyline and flow of the 1940 movie a little bit better.

I'm glad to have both of these films now in my possession. I think someone mentioned earlier that a better copy of the 1940 version may have been released overseas? If so, I'll have to dive into the interwebs to look for it...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
So after two months, Amazon finally got this to me. I had the pleasure of watching both versions for the first time. Loved Boyer's performance as the suave yet threatening antagonist (yes I found him both) and Ms. Bergman...well let's say I would have paid money to watch her read from a phone book. Joseph Cotten proves to be an understated gem of an actor. It's interesting that although he was clearly a popular leading man in the 40s, with many acclaimed roles and films, he's not as well remembered in later years as Stewart, Grant, and even Bogart. IMO he belongs on the same pedestal as those actors.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 1940 version as well. I don't cast any aspersions on any of the talent from either film, I thought both were enjoyable in their own right. But I will admit to preferring the storyline and flow of the 1940 movie a little bit better.

I'm glad to have both of these films now in my possession. I think someone mentioned earlier that a better copy of the 1940 version may have been released overseas? If so, I'll have to dive into the interwebs to look for it...
The 1940 version in HD is Zone B locked. It looks great compared to the unrestored version included in the Archive BD.
I love both versions and Bergman is sacred in my telephone book (I saw her twice on stage), but I prefer the British version.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
My copies of WAC's recent releases of The Thin Man, Jezebel and Gaslight arrived yesterday afternoon (The Letter is still out of stock on Amazon). I'm taking a staycation this week and took advantage of the damp weather to watch Gaslight this morning in honour of Dame Angela Lansbury's 94th birthday. This has got to be one of the most beautiful Blu-rays, black and white or colour, in my collection. The blacks are so inky, and the entire thing was beautiful from start to finish.

WAC has only released a handful of titles off my wish list over the past few years, but they've spoiled me in 2019. Thank you!

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
My copies of WAC's recent releases of The Thin Man, Jezebel and Gaslight arrived yesterday afternoon (The Letter is still out of stock on Amazon). I'm taking a staycation this week and took advantage of the damp weather to watch Gaslight this morning in honour of Dame Angela Lansbury's 94th birthday. This has got to be one of the most beautiful Blu-rays, black and white or colour, in my collection. The blacks are so inky, and the entire thing was beautiful from start to finish.

WAC has only released a handful of titles off my wish list over the past few years, but they've spoiled me in 2019. Thank you!
Just wait until you get a gander of THE LETTER!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
. . . . I'm taking a staycation this week and took advantage of the damp weather to watch Gaslight this morning in honour of Dame Angela Lansbury's 94th birthday. This has got to be one of the most beautiful Blu-rays, black and white or colour, in my collection. The blacks are so inky, and the entire thing was beautiful from start to finish.

If you want Angela Lansbury in an absolutely perfect Blu-ray disc: The Picture Of Dorian Gray,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks