What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Gangs of New York -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
"Sharpness" and "detail" are not the same thing. Those screenshots show incredible detail. This remaster looks like it's going to be absolutely gorgeous.

Vincent

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The new frames look promising. I'll be on board once I see the disc, and not before.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I eagerly await your approval Mr. Harris!

I hope I can finally purchase this film on Blu...

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

"Sharpness" and "detail" are not the same thing. Those screenshots show incredible detail. This remaster looks like it's going to be absolutely gorgeous.

Vincent
I know that. That's why I specifically said I wasn't expecting "eye-popping sharpness". However, some amount of sharpness *IS* necessary to show details. Although they are not the same things (particularly in the way many people assume), they are also not completely unrelated.

Actually, I took another look at those screencaps, and I gotta say that most of them are showing significant JPEG compression artifacts. A few show a promising level of details, but most do not IMHO and are riddled w/ what looks like compression artifacts -- quite possible that the JPEG compression may have softened the images a tad beyond the more apparent artifacts. Hopefully, the real thing will be substantially better.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Went ahead and googled to see if I could find some better screencaps, and found Xylon's comparison caps in that other forum site.

Agree that there's a huge diff, assuming Xylon's caps are good (as usual). His caps do also generally look better than the ones in that other link posted earlier -- details (and grain) are more readily apparent in his caps, and I did not notice any JPEG artifacts.

Looks very promising so far...

_Man_

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

His caps do also generally look better than the ones in that other link posted earlier -- details (and grain) are more readily apparent in his caps, and I did not notice any JPEG artifacts.
You shouldn't find any since he always uses PNGs. I'm glad to hear that Buena Vista finally rectified what is arguably the biggest smudge on their record.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks