1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Four Wedding and a Funeral - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I don't know about everyone else, but when I envision a film written by Richard Curtis, I smile.

While he's worked in different genres, I revel in his work in that lands squarely in the rom-com arena, as they're so incredibly multi-layered, entertaining, and just darn sweet.

The ones that come to mind are Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), which has been released in a gorgeous new Blu-ray edition by Shout Factory, as part of their Select portfolio, Notting Hill (1999), Bridget Jone's Diary (2001), and Love, Actually (2003).

Four Weddings was directed by Mike Newell, who while also working in other genres such as little arthouse productions such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - did that ever get a wide release? - directed another of my favorites, Mona Lisa Smile.

To the best of my knowledge we've never had a quality release of Four Weddings, but Shout's new one breaks that mold. Derived from a gorgeous 4k scan of the OCN, it can easily mimic the appearance of current 4k fare, that has been uprezzed from 2k data files.

In a word, it's gorgeous.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD & previous Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

PMF, bgart13, Peter Keller and 6 others like this.
  2. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I will be upgrading!

3. titch

titch Second Unit

Kevin Oppegaard
    You had me at "I smile".

4. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Totally agree, Robert ... what some people dismiss as trivial, I see as life-enhancing, an antidote to the ghastly realities of so much of the human condition.