What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Four Wedding and a Funeral - in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't know about everyone else, but when I envision a film written by Richard Curtis, I smile.

While he's worked in different genres, I revel in his work in that lands squarely in the rom-com arena, as they're so incredibly multi-layered, entertaining, and just darn sweet.

The ones that come to mind are Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), which has been released in a gorgeous new Blu-ray edition by Shout Factory, as part of their Select portfolio, Notting Hill (1999), Bridget Jone's Diary (2001), and Love, Actually (2003).

Four Weddings was directed by Mike Newell, who while also working in other genres such as little arthouse productions such as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - did that ever get a wide release? - directed another of my favorites, Mona Lisa Smile.

To the best of my knowledge we've never had a quality release of Four Weddings, but Shout's new one breaks that mold. Derived from a gorgeous 4k scan of the OCN, it can easily mimic the appearance of current 4k fare, that has been uprezzed from 2k data files.

In a word, it's gorgeous.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD & previous Blu-ray - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Totally agree, Robert ... what some people dismiss as trivial, I see as life-enhancing, an antidote to the ghastly realities of so much of the human condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks