What's new

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Clearly screencaps have no use for you so it is probably best to ignore them.

Several years ahead of you

I still look occasionally to see if anything's changed or in certain discussions. Most of the time I still find myself scratching my head and still find them to be pretty meaningless in making decisions or in evaluating the movie quality on the disc

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Several years ahead of you

I still look occasionally to see if anything's changed or in certain discussions. Most of the time I still find myself scratching my head and still find them to be pretty meaningless in making decisions or in evaluating the movie quality on the disc

It is the same for a number of people and I have decided to preface posts that contain screencaps or links to them with a disclaimer that I have no intention to direct those posts to people who have no use for them. It gets a bit repetitive for both sides to have the same discussion about the merits of screencaps over and over again and it can quickly derail a thread.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It is the same for a number of people and I have decided to preface posts that contain screencaps or links to them with a disclaimer that I have no intention to direct those posts to people who have no use for them. It gets a bit repetitive for both sides to have the same discussion about the merits of screencaps over and over again and it can quickly derail a thread.
I have to agree with you although I'm one of those with no use for screencaps except those I take myself.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
A copy of the Fafdm continuity script is in the Yale archives and accessible to the public. Anybody here from Connecticut?

https://archives.yale.edu/repositories/11/archival_objects/453738

I might give them a call and see if they can look at a couple specific pages for me.
I've spent more than my fair share dealing with archival collections over the past year, and I gotta say the way Yale has organized that collection is a hodgepodged disaster. I wasn't aware 7th Heaven, LA Confidential, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Sanford and Son, and others were considered classics of the western genre.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Please post the teal caps in the proper thread for The King and I, thank you!
I suppose while I am saying "Owah Tennah Siam ;) (or would that be Cyan?)"
If I posted them there I would have to put them in just about any thread about a film with "Color by Deluxe" ;)

I may have seen this film at a Drive-In theater - providing the best in picture and sound quality ever offered for motion pictures !!! (;))
So I can say without equivocation the caps look NOTHING like what I may have seen the theater ... :cool:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
These caps clearly have a horrible teal cast to them.
thumbnail.asp
;)
Please post the teal caps in the proper thread for The King and I, thank you!
Royal Crown Cola caps, perhaps?:D

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I suppose while I am saying "Owah Tennah Siam ;) (or would that be Cyan?)"
If I posted them there I would have to put them in just about any thread about a film with "Color by Deluxe" ;)

I may have seen this film at a Drive-In theater - providing the best in picture and sound quality ever offered for motion pictures !!! (;))
So I can say without equivocation the caps look NOTHING like what I may have seen the theater ... :cool:

Gotta say you are on a roll there - pun intended. That must have been the golden days of the roadshow drive-in presentations, was it Cadillac's only? ;)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Gotta say you are on a roll there - pun intended. That must have been the golden days of the roadshow drive-in presentations, was it Cadillac's only? ;)
Nope they'ld let anyone in $5 a carload ... ;) You could get stereo if you stuck the speaker meant for the other car on the right side and put it on your right side window ... ;)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nope they'ld let anyone in $5 a carload ... ;) You could get stereo if you stuck the speaker meant for the other car on the right side and put it on your right side window ... ;)

I wish I could stop laughing at that, but been there done that with Bedknobs and Broomsticks watching out of the back of one of those Old Massive 8mpg Station Wagons with a bunch of cousins Well, at least tried until some stupid other car came up b/w Feature 1 and Feature 2 and stole our second speaker

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At times, I know that attempts at humor gets lost in certain posts on boards like HTF. However, it's a good thing to keep our sense of humor when it comes to our Home Theater hobby because we're still talking about movies and not the cure for cancer or any other serious issue that affects the human race.:)

Last edited:

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
At times, I know that attempts at humor gets lost in certain posts on boards like HTF. However, it's a good thing to keep our sense of humor when it comes to our Home Theater hobby because we're still talking about movies and not the cure for cancer or any other serious issue that affects the human race.:)

Absolutely agree on the sense of humor - it is truly one of the great aspects of this board. Some of it’s obvious and some very subtle but in majority of cases put together with intelligence and love for this hobby of ours.

Regards

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Absolutely agree on the sense of humor - it is truly one of the great aspects of this board. Some of it’s obvious and some very subtle but in majority of cases put together with intelligence and love for this hobby of ours.

Regards
Agreed. Teal caps - fantastic! Not to mention that King and I response. Thanks for the humor.

Palmer

Auditioning
Real Name
James Goodridge

I simply don't Get it ,The MGM Blue Ray Box Version looks great ,and looks almost the same to me,(I watched about 30min so far)what am I missing
I have to say its nice having the Tim Lucas commentary ,But can't wonder why I am Buying these promoted 4k transfers on Blue Ray?
It's purely subjective so don't go feeling inferior for not seeing what other people prefer. The cause for celebration seems to be that belatedly Kino have not interfered with the colors as they did with Fistful and GBU. The framing on Fistful is an improvement over the MGM presentation but the color timing is completely out of whack and unfortunately too many people are not willing to believe their own eyes but prefer to be told that this was how it was always meant to look! In the case of GBU they also managed to screw with the sound so although it is the best cut of the movie it is rendered virtually unwatchable due to color timing and bad audio sync. and no I'm not referring to dubbing of dialogue. If you watch the MGM versions the sound effects and music transitions are spot on, Kino just isn't. I look forward to seeing Kenos version but as they have not made the effort to restore the complete footage of the beating I doubt I shall purchase. One day someone may do it right but it'll probably take Tarantino to start his own label!

Palmer

Auditioning
Real Name
James Goodridge
Here is a link to my first draft of an in-depth analysis of all the home video releases of the film. (8 min) Just looking at one scene, (Manco's entrance) we can see how the edit and sound have been tampered with repeatedly. I look forward to seeing/hearing if Kino has finally restored the film to Leone's intentions.

I'd not noticed the sound effects, the eyesore or "ear-sore" for me was when MGM elected to add the musical "trill" when Manco shoots Red Cavanaugh on the saloon floor, that trill as far as I know had only previously been introduced as he spins his pistol into his holster so it worked as part of that "flourish " rather than a pointless musical "stinger" to a shooting. Sometimes it seems people forget to restore and instead allow their opinions to supersede those of the director.

Danny_N

Second Unit
Real Name
Danny
Watched this disc for the first time last night. It is certainly an improvement over the German disc. A minor quibble: someone made a mistake with the sound in the opening credits. It's out of sync with what's happening on screen. I always found the opening credits of FAFDM very funny because they literally get shot down, some of them dodging the bullets first. That effect is gone as the sound of the gun shots is no longer in sync with the movement of the credits.

Jordan Krug

Stunt Coordinator
Once MGM started recutting the film and remixing the sound in the 1990's, it's suffered from sync issues since. It's somewhat ironic since the entire film was post-dubbed in 1967, and with purely analog tech they were able to keep it properly in sync, once it went digital it went out of sync.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks