1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ For a Few Dollars More - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 28, 2019.

1. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Several years ahead of you

I still look occasionally to see if anything's changed or in certain discussions. Most of the time I still find myself scratching my head and still find them to be pretty meaningless in making decisions or in evaluating the movie quality on the disc

PMF and Robin9 like this.
  2. OliverK

OliverK Producer

It is the same for a number of people and I have decided to preface posts that contain screencaps or links to them with a disclaimer that I have no intention to direct those posts to people who have no use for them. It gets a bit repetitive for both sides to have the same discussion about the merits of screencaps over and over again and it can quickly derail a thread.

Josh Steinberg and RMajidi like this.
  3. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I have to agree with you although I'm one of those with no use for screencaps except those I take myself.

B-ROLL likes this.
  4. Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Supporting Actor

Sean
    I've spent more than my fair share dealing with archival collections over the past year, and I gotta say the way Yale has organized that collection is a hodgepodged disaster. I wasn't aware 7th Heaven, LA Confidential, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, Sanford and Son, and others were considered classics of the western genre.

PMF, B-ROLL and Jordan Krug like this.
  5. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    I suppose while I am saying "Owah Tennah Siam ;) (or would that be Cyan?)"
    If I posted them there I would have to put them in just about any thread about a film with "Color by Deluxe" ;)

I may have seen this film at a Drive-In theater - providing the best in picture and sound quality ever offered for motion pictures !!! (;))
    So I can say without equivocation the caps look NOTHING like what I may have seen the theater ... :cool:

Mysto likes this.
  6. Message #126 of 142 Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Royal Crown Cola caps, perhaps?:D

7. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Gotta say you are on a roll there - pun intended. That must have been the golden days of the roadshow drive-in presentations, was it Cadillac's only? ;)

B-ROLL likes this.
  8. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Nope they'ld let anyone in $5 a carload ... ;) You could get stereo if you stuck the speaker meant for the other car on the right side and put it on your right side window ... ;)

9. Message #129 of 142 Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

I wish I could stop laughing at that, but been there done that with Bedknobs and Broomsticks watching out of the back of one of those Old Massive 8mpg Station Wagons with a bunch of cousins Well, at least tried until some stupid other car came up b/w Feature 1 and Feature 2 and stole our second speaker

B-ROLL likes this.
  10. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Gotta love the good old days of crappy mono sound and barely illuminated huge screens :D

B-ROLL, Doug Wallen and Osato like this.
  11. Spili

Spili Auditioning

Marco
    Completely irrelevant to the topic at hand/derailing the thread with nothing constructive. Good job I guess?

12. Spili

Spili Auditioning

Marco
    Can you elaborate? Won at what exactly? "Shitposting"?

13. Message #133 of 142 Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    At times, I know that attempts at humor gets lost in certain posts on boards like HTF. However, it's a good thing to keep our sense of humor when it comes to our Home Theater hobby because we're still talking about movies and not the cure for cancer or any other serious issue that affects the human race.:)

Robert Harris, SAhmed, Mysto and 2 others like this.
  14. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Supporting Actor

Brent
    Charming.

dpippel likes this.
  15. SAhmed

SAhmed Supporting Actor

Shakeel
    Absolutely agree on the sense of humor - it is truly one of the great aspects of this board. Some of it’s obvious and some very subtle but in majority of cases put together with intelligence and love for this hobby of ours.

Regards

16. cda1143

cda1143 Agent

Chris
    Agreed. Teal caps - fantastic! Not to mention that King and I response. Thanks for the humor.

Jordan Krug, Osato and B-ROLL like this.
  17. Palmer

Palmer Auditioning

James Goodridge
    It's purely subjective so don't go feeling inferior for not seeing what other people prefer. The cause for celebration seems to be that belatedly Kino have not interfered with the colors as they did with Fistful and GBU. The framing on Fistful is an improvement over the MGM presentation but the color timing is completely out of whack and unfortunately too many people are not willing to believe their own eyes but prefer to be told that this was how it was always meant to look! In the case of GBU they also managed to screw with the sound so although it is the best cut of the movie it is rendered virtually unwatchable due to color timing and bad audio sync. and no I'm not referring to dubbing of dialogue. If you watch the MGM versions the sound effects and music transitions are spot on, Kino just isn't. I look forward to seeing Kenos version but as they have not made the effort to restore the complete footage of the beating I doubt I shall purchase. One day someone may do it right but it'll probably take Tarantino to start his own label!

Jordan Krug likes this.
  18. Palmer

Palmer Auditioning

James Goodridge
    I'd not noticed the sound effects, the eyesore or "ear-sore" for me was when MGM elected to add the musical "trill" when Manco shoots Red Cavanaugh on the saloon floor, that trill as far as I know had only previously been introduced as he spins his pistol into his holster so it worked as part of that "flourish " rather than a pointless musical "stinger" to a shooting. Sometimes it seems people forget to restore and instead allow their opinions to supersede those of the director.

Jordan Krug likes this.
  19. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

Watched this disc for the first time last night. It is certainly an improvement over the German disc. A minor quibble: someone made a mistake with the sound in the opening credits. It's out of sync with what's happening on screen. I always found the opening credits of FAFDM very funny because they literally get shot down, some of them dodging the bullets first. That effect is gone as the sound of the gun shots is no longer in sync with the movement of the credits.

Brent Reid, Jordan Krug and Osato like this.
  20. Jordan Krug

Jordan Krug Stunt Coordinator

Once MGM started recutting the film and remixing the sound in the 1990's, it's suffered from sync issues since. It's somewhat ironic since the entire film was post-dubbed in 1967, and with purely analog tech they were able to keep it properly in sync, once it went digital it went out of sync.

Brent Reid and Robert Crawford like this.