1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Footlight Parade - in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 3, 2019.

1. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    The sound is super-important. How did it compare to the sound on the existing DVD?

2. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Cinematographer

Bryan
    Lloyd had the rights to his films and controlled the elements (if I remember correct in a vault on his estate). His films weren't re-released and the elements over-printed to near extinction.

In the 1950s, his (then future) sons-in-law encouraged him to make safety elements and I believe they took steps to preserve the Nitrate OCNs etc... Assuming the documentary on the DVD set and my memory are correct.

Footlight Parade was probably re-released and excerpted several times-so it would be a totally different can of peas ...

3. Message #43 of 50 Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Agent

Ken S-B
    I just compared the Blu and the DVD alternating one to the other. Without the tonal correction that I mentioned, the sound on the Blu is quite peaky. But if you're able to cut the highs a bit (and perhaps a tiny bit of bass lift) the sound is almost identical. Picture-wise I found the difference between the 2 versions to be quite small. As I said, overall a little disappointing.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Mine came today from Amazon (big surprise I didn't have to wait a month like I did for Glass Bottom Boat and Summer Stock). Sadly, because I am having some repairs going on in my house today and tomorrow morning, I didn't get to it tonight. Maybe tomorrow night,

5. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Amazon.com took it out of my basket, and said it is only being sold by 3rd party sellers and not them anymore!

6. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    I haven’t picked up the Blu yet, but I was quite disappointed with the DVD audio, which sounded rolled-off and compressed. The VHS edition sounded like it had very little processing work done on it and had a very wide frequency response.

7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched this one tonight on Blu-ray and was suitably impressed with its visuals. I wasn't quite as bowled over as with 42nd Street, but it looked wonderful with nice grain structure, good black levels.

There is a moment when Ruby proves she could dance spontaneously and smoothly. When she takes off her glasses and is asked to show what she could do in an audition to get out of her secretarial job, she's wearing soft soled heels and does a marvelous "impromptu" dance that showed she could tap without the clunky hoofing and awkward arm movements. We only see her feet, so we don't watch her struggling to make her upper body look effortless (and never succeeding).

Will Krupp likes this.
  8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Don’t recall the shot, offhand.

But if the frame is only on feet...

9. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    Yeah, I don't think that was Keeler's footwork either.

B-ROLL likes this.
  10. Trancas

Trancas Stunt Coordinator

Eric
    Maybe, maybe not. The legs look identical and the closeup dancing seems like the same kind of slightly ungainly movement seen in the full body shot. I think maybe they broke up the shot to distract from the disconnect between her upper and lower body movement. She doesn't have the whole body grace of a professional dancer. They did the same thing on Ruby's bar top dancing in the Shanghai Lil number.