What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Flightplan -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I'm attempting to view every film involving air marshals, Robert Schwentke's Flightplan is a necessity. In this case, Peter Sarsgaard.

Basic plot. Jodie Foster's plays a mother, who young daughter disappears on an international flight.

No name on the passenger manifest.

No one has seen her.

And it all takes place within the confines of a huge, non-existent, double-decker aircraft, with abundant searchable space.

Question is...

Do we believe what our eyes have been telling us, or has the mom gone off the deep end?

Basic premise works fine, but the ending, as blocked, shot, and acted, brings the film down. Major suspension of disbelief necessary.

As a disc, it's a good looking affair -- an early Blu-ray BD-50 (Dec 2006), with VC-1 compression. The initial BDs arrived from Sony in late June of 2006. Audio, on this disc, which uses the early "Bring home the ultimate high definition experience" moniker, is standard issue 5.1 uncompressed, which works just fine.

The film was shot S35, and taken through a 2k DI.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I wonder if Robert Schwentke drew any inspiration for this film from Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965, TT Blu available)?

I believe Nick Redman mentioned Flightplan when discussing the TT release of Bunny Lake Is Missing.

I have both Blus and enjoyed both.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I saw this when it first came out and was highly disappointed. The slow pacing and improbable plot just killed it for me. It seemed at least a half-hour longer than the hour-forty it is. If you want a "danger in the air" flick, get the much superior Red Eye (why there's no blu, don't ask me). Wes Craven -- a director I generally don't care for -- produces a tight thriller in 15 minutes less time. It has not a frame more than necessary and is a model for how to make a thriller.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven't seen Flightplan since it came out, so I don't really remember the specifics, but I recall thinking that it must've been inspired at least in party by The Lady Vanishes when I saw it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I haven't seen Flightplan since it came out, so I don't really remember the specifics, but I recall thinking that it must've been inspired at least in party by The Lady Vanishes when I saw it.

Certainly a good dollop of Lady Vanishes, along with a bit of this, and a pinch of that...

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I've always enjoyed this one...and it has a very good, understated score by the late James Horner that I am a fan of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks