What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Flesh and Bone -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

For the record, I'm neither a huge fan, nor an aficionado of ballet.  I do, however, appreciate the artistry and the personal struggles involved in its creation.

Starz has released an eight part limited mini-series, running 482 minutes, and I believe it may be the perfect blend of multiple levels of dark storytelling, some invigorating ballet performances, and just enough of the Starz trademark gratuitous nudity to bring in viewers who might not ordinarily go out of their way to watch a ballet production.

And go away enjoying it.

Much like their seasons of Spartacus, for which (praise the gods) the producers located actual Roman gladiators, this time, under the leadership of Moira Walley-Beckett (Breaking Bad), they made the effort to locate and cast actual ballerinas...

who could act.

When I became aware of the concept, I was prepared for pedestrian performances, and they never appeared.

Highlighting Sarah Hay in the lead, they've created an credible company, generally with actors with a minimum of stage or film experience.  As an example, Miss Hay has two credits listed.  The first from 1997 - You're Invited to Mary-Kate & Ashley's Ballet Party, and second, as a member of the ballet corps in Black Swan.

The relationships and interrelationships of the characters, good and bad are the centerpiece of the daily grind, hope, heartbreak and sweat that serves as the backstory.  And it all works, as it comes together, even if it never truly takes flight.

For those who enjoyed Black Swan, Flesh and Bone will be essential viewing, as it sets a tone of realism, and opposed to fable.

Shot with an Alexa and finished as a 2k DI, the production shines on Blu-ray, with an overall film-like appearance, and gorgeous tonalities.

Flesh and Bone is an experience for which I was prepared to be disappointed, and came away reasonably impressed.  Moreso, when the cast is dancing, than when they're not.

Regardless, Miss Hay does well with the role presented her, giving it all the requisite depth available on the written page.  I believe you'll be seeing more from her in the future.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks