1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ First Blood: Rambo Part II -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Rambo: First Blood Part II is a bit of a rara avis.

A pure action thriller, photographed by the great Jack Cardiff.

And the production company's desire to go for the best in the follow-up to the hugely popular First Blood, speaks well of their ethic.

George P. Cosmastos' film, which allowed for triple the budget of the original has a dollar on screen, and the new 4K from Lionsgate, sends it our way in a gorgeously produced 4k Blu-ray, with HDR, and a strong track in DTS-HD MA 5.1.

We have enough grain to enliven the monks, and meticulously reproduced color, as captured by Mr. Cardiff.

Another stellar release in Lionsgate's program of re-issuing their library at higher resolution.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Definitely

Highly Recommended

RAH

DavidJ, Dave H, Mike2001 and 2 others like this.
  2. cb1

cb1 Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    OK I love this movie, even though I don't have 4K, I'll pick it up.
    I went to see this at the movie theater on Ft Hood in 1985 as a 19 year old 1st Cav Bradley Driver. First off, being on post, we all had to rise to honor the National Anthem at the beginning of the film.

That got us all in the mood for RAMBO!

So as the movie progresses to the real action the entire theater is hooting and barking just like you imagine a bunch of 18 year old Soldiers would!! The "Murdoc, I'm coming for you" caused such a reaction that you couldn't hear the movie anymore.

When Rambo fired the LAW rocket from the downed Huey window to destroy the Soviet Hind there was a near riot of barking and hooting Soldiers in the theater!!!!

The movie ended with lots of … yes, hooting and barking!!!

Rambo II was by far the absolutely best theater experience I ever had. Never to be repeated.

Rambo II will always bring a huge smile to my face as I remember the excitement and fun of this experience.

TravisR, B-ROLL, DavidJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. LeeBob

LeeBob Agent

Lee Solheim
    Great story - Thank you for sharing and thank you for your service!

cb1 likes this.