What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Finding Nemo 3D -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm not a fan of 3D for 3D's sake.

I'm a fan of quality films, and if that film happens to have been photographed in 3D...

that's great.

Conversions are another story. Some work. Others don't. Some weren't designed to be seen in 3D, and the use of the format to sell discs isn't something to which I subscribe.

But give me a quality film, and quality 3D, and I'll buy it. Especially productions with more than simple depth. Atmosphere is what really is essential.

Avatar and Hugo are at the top of my short list.

When it comes to conversions, I normally don't get involved. But again, give me something special, and I'm in.

A decade ago, Pixar created Finding Nemo. An extraordinary entertainment for all ages. It had everything going for it, especially on Blu-ray. Within the gorgeous 2D image, 3D sat waiting to come to the surface. The dimensionality of the 2D was beautiful.

It was with a bit of trepidation, that I placed the new 3D disc of Finding Nemo in my player. How good would it be? Did they make a circus out of it? Does the 3D really work?

The answers: Terrific, Absolutely not, yes.

This is less of a conversion than a re-imagining of the original. The gang at Pixar went back to the original files, using them as the left eye, and creating the parallax for a right eye. The work appears to be have done with precision, delicacy and consummate respect for the original.

Colors and densities are true. Audio is now Dolby 7.1 TrueHD, with a beautiful spacial environment.

The film not only holds up, but plays every bit as it did a decade ago. A modern classic? I believe so.

Great film.

Great delicate 3D.

The new Finding Nemo in 3D is nothing short of a revelation. This is the kind of release that would push me toward 3D, if I were on the fence.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am looking forward to seeing this...now I am sorry I missed the theatrical run.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm picking up the 3D of this next week. The real problem with this movie is that once you show it to a young child, you're done. You will now spend the next several years being told to put THAT disc on the player. A friend of mine has a son who had an inimitable way with yelling "Nemo! Nemo! Nemo!" until Dad put the disc back on for the 111th time...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Agreed. This film has great replay value, without getting annoying for adults.
I can also see it being used at Cristmas time in place of the traditional video Yule log.
RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
And I should have mentioned, that a double dip here from 2 to 3D is warranted.
This release is day-and-date with the 2D version- for both, the first time Finding Nemo has been available on Blu-ray, so no double-dip is necessary.
Robert Harris said:
I can also see it being used at Cristmas time in place of the traditional video Yule log.
I trust you mean in a "throw it in the player" sense, rather than a "throw it on the fire" sense. :D
Thanks for the review, Robert.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which is why I was unable to find my original Blu for comparison. For those who wish to own the original DVD, it can be had for around $50 on Amazon, or half the cost of a decent Blu player
RAH

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Robert Harris said:
For those who wish to own the original DVD, it can be had for around $50 on Amazon, or half the cost of a decent Blu player
Wow- guess whose 3D Nemo BD upgrade is going to arrive "pre-paid" and then some! Off to Ebay... save my spot. :D

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
A film like this, where they went back to the original files and essentially animated the second camera is more like a true, native 3-D presentation, no?
Is it right to call these films "conversions" because that typically implies that something had to be created in the live action frame to make the 3-D, whereas this film and others done this way are exactly what you would have if they were made in the first place for 3-D...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Moe Dickstein said:
A film like this, where they went back to the original files and essentially animated the second camera is more like a true, native 3-D presentation, no?
Is it right to call these films "conversions" because that typically implies that something had to be created in the live action frame to make the 3-D, whereas this film and others done this way are exactly what you would have if they were made in the first place for 3-D...
I'd still call them conversions because when the movie was produced, no one knew that it would ever be seen in 3-D.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
TravisR said:
I'd still call them conversions because when the movie was produced, no one knew that it would ever be seen in 3-D.
And that does differentiate it from an original 3D production because the shot design and overall production design were not done with 3D in mind.

BBQMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne Fogel
Now I know what I will buy for each of my children's families! The Five disk set with the dvd for the car, the blu-ray for use at home and the 3D disk for use when they upgrade in the future. That's four copies and the one for me will make five. I'll have to have it when they come to visit. (Certainly not buying for me, have to buy this just as had to buy Star Wars and the Indiana Jones collection.)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Doctorossi said:
And that does differentiate it from an original 3D production because the shot design and overall production design were not done with 3D in mind.
This is a tough one for me. I understand why people are calling it a conversion because it was originally 2D, but they did so much more than just convert it. In this instance they "reanimated" it with 3D in mind, making tweaks as needed. The plants, particulates and lots of other things are completely different if you compare the 2D DVD to the 3D Blu-ray. Its an odd duck that seems to fit into both camps. I think we will be having the same discussion with Monsters Inc in a few months.....

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Adam Gregorich said:
This is a tough one for me.  I understand why people are calling it a conversion because it was originally 2D, but they did so much more than just convert it.  In this instance they "reanimated" it with 3D in mind, making tweaks as needed.  The plants, particulates and lots of other things are completely different if you compare the 2D DVD to the 3D Blu-ray. Its an odd duck that seems to fit into both camps.  I think we will be having the same discussion with Monsters Inc in a few months.....
Yes, I agree that the Pixar 3D re-purposings are really their own animals and produced with lots of care, skill and attention, in the same way as their 4:3 television format conversions were created- not your everyday pan-and-scan job. Uniquely, these Pixar 3D jobs are really kind of a third category on the shelf (with "conversions" and native-shot 3D movies). They're the only "conversions", to date, that I have any interest in.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I am, by default, opposed to most 3D, but the time and care given to the Nemo and Brave (and, by extension, the rest of the Pixar and Disney catalog) was impressive. Most of us would have glanced over the air bubbles in Finding Nemo or pieces of flotsam and jetsam hanging in the water. Just like Adam said, this wasn't just a "hey, this will look good popping out at the audience." This was a massive and careful effort...all the way down to the way sea plants moved.

I'm fine with whatever classification you want to put these films under for the 3D process. They are, however, the only ones I get excited about.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
BTW I seem to recall wondering if this movie would generate protest among viewers for the really shabby treatment given to the poor crab character...

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Kevin EK said:
I'm picking up the 3D of this next week.  The real problem with this movie is that once you show it to a young child, you're done.  You will now spend the next several years being told to put THAT disc on the player.  A friend of mine has a son who had an inimitable way with yelling "Nemo! Nemo! Nemo!" until Dad put the disc back on for the 111th time...
Sorry to digress, but this reminds me of a funny story that happened some years ago. A friend had dropped by with his little daughter, who was about 2 or 3 years old at the time. My friend was out of the room for a moment, and she walked over to the TV, pointed at it, and said, "Book, book!!!", very insistently. I said, "No, dear, that's a television - television." She repeated, "Book, book!!" I repeated, "Television." "Book, book!" "Television!" "Book, book!" Then my friend returned. I said, "She thinks a television is called a book". He replied, "No, she wants to watch The Jungle Book. It's all we see at my place."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks