What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My initial thoughts about hearing about this release were...

"It's about time."

The 2002 Focus Features (Universal) release has been available on DVD only domestically. Especially because of the beautiful cinematography by Edward Lachman, who more than caught the look and textures of the originals, this has been more than an oversight.

Fortunately, Kino Lorber has corrected the omission, and the resultant Blu-ray is gorgeous.

One cannot discuss Todd Haynes' work on this film, or his later (2015) work on Carol, without making note of possibly the greatest director of "weepers" in history - Douglas Sirk.

Mr. Sirk, who emigrated from Germany - many of his early films were for UFA - made his American debut in 1943, with Hitler's Madman, and through 1959, directed almost thirty films, many of them based upon his very a Sirkian concept.

Although he was responsible for other genres (Battle Hymn, Sign of the Pagan), he will forever be remembered for the likes of Imitation of Life, The Tarnished Angels (also newly available via Kino Lorber), Written on the Wind, Never Say Goodbye, All that Heaven allows and The Magnificent Obsession, and All I Desire.

All under the Universal banner, and making great multiple use of some of their contract players, most notably Rock Hudson, Dorothy Malone, Robert Stack, and Barbara Stanwyck.

Far From Heaven recreates the look and textures of those '50s films, along with the Sirkian style.

Anyone familiar with Sirk or 1950s filmmaking needs a copy of this Blu-ray.

While some of his most popular works are available on domestic Blu, there are still titles missing. Hopefully the release of Tarnished Angels will allow Kino to step up to the plate and invest in these.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - a necessity

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Clinton

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Clinton
My initial thoughts about hearing about this release were...

"It's about time."

The 1992 Focus Features (Universal) release has been available on DVD only domestically. Especially because of the beautiful cinematography by Edward Lachman, who more than caught the look and textures of the originals, this has been more than an oversight.

Fortunately, Kino Lorber has corrected the omission, and the resultant Blu-ray is gorgeous.

One cannot discuss Todd Haynes' work on this film, or his later (2015) work on Carol, without making note of possibly the greatest director of "weepers" in history - Douglas Sirk.

Mr. Sirk, who emigrated from Germany - many of his early films were for UFA - made his American debut in 1943, with Hitler's Madman, and through 1959, directed almost thirty films, many of them based upon his very a Sirkian concept.

Although he was responsible for other genres (Battle Hymn, Sign of the Pagan), he will forever be remembered for the likes of Imitation of Life, The Tarnished Angels (also newly available via Kino Lorber), Written on the Wind, Never Say Goodbye, All that Heaven allows and The Magnificent Obsession, and All I Desire.

All under the Universal banner, and making great multiple use of some of their contract players, most notably Rock Hudson, Dorothy Malone, Robert Stack, and Barbara Stanwyck.

Far From Heaven recreates the look and textures of those '50s films, along with the Sirkian style.

Anyone familiar with Sirk or 1950s filmmaking needs a copy of this Blu-ray.

While some of his most popular works are available on domestic Blu, there are still titles missing. Hopefully the release of Tarnished Angels will allow Kino to step up to the plate and invest in these.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - a necessity

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Joe Clinton

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Clinton
Very glad to hear this good review.
The movie's release was in 2002 (not 1992).
Already pre-ordered.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I saw it in the theater and to this day I'm mad as hell that Dennis Quaid didn't get a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I saw it in the theater and to this day I'm mad as hell that Dennis Quaid didn't get a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination!

I was lucky to see this film without knowing anything about it before I saw it, so all the plot points were a surprise to me. From seeing the film many times I've come to appreciate how someone could enjoy it on so many levels. From period drama to camp if one is of the mind.

I think it should've been nominated for Art Direction, too. (Now called Production Design.) How was it not? (Especially against the messy production design of Gangs of New York.) I also think Patricia Clarkson was robbed of a nomination. She was brilliant. Picture. Director. Etc. Julianne was also supporting actress nominated this same year for another film. Her acting in Far From Heaven was a combination of realism and that heightened melodramatic '50's style and it was seamless and really fine.

As for Dennis Quaid, I feel a nomination should've come his way, too, but I really think he derailed his own chances. When he was giving interviews for the film back then, well, interviewers were asking him the inane questions about how icky was it to kiss another man or play a gay character and he responded that it was one of the easiest roles he's played because love is love and it wasn't a big deal. (Something like that.) Kudos for him for not playing the "oh it was so hard etc." card back then, but I believe actors wanted his "overcoming the angst" to play the role scenario and when he said playing that aspect of his character "was easy" they didn't consider him any further. A shame. In the Todd Hayne's commentary track on the dvd there's a point where Dennis Quaid is having a scene with Julianne Moore and there's a long pause with no talking and then Todd remarks how great Dennis Quaid was in that moment.

I love the score, too, it hits all the right notes (discordant and otherwise) perfectly.

As I write this post I'm seeing how much I really think of this film! Makes me want to see it again even before the blu-ray is released!

Last edited:

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
Really looking forward to this Blu-ray. When I first saw the movie at a test screening, I thought it was quite bad. I had several negative comments to write down on my comment card (they had to urge me to finish writing and leave the theater so they could meet with a select focus group). But when it was released, a friend told me it was a wonderful picture, so I went to see if they'd fixed anything. And wow, what a difference. Minor edits, color correction and a final score made a huge difference in how the story came across--most especially in a scene with Dennis and a particular young man (very sensitive material that seemed to play like an SNL sketch in the test screening)--and they ditched opening and closing voiceovers that I had complained about. Wow, I have clout! ;) So, I went from not liking it to loving it. And yes, it missed out on so many Oscars (and Oscar nominations). Can't wait to see the gorgeous, colorful images in HD!

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I’m probably one of the view that thought this was a bit too derivative of Sirk- an Imitation of Sirk if you will. Unlike DePalma paying homage to Hitchcock along with abundant creativity in his films this was basically a hodgepodge remake of various Sirk films all commingled. I mean I like it but.......
I much prefer the other Juillianne Moore film from the same year 2002 that has yet to be released on Blu-Ray- The Hours. Now where is that disc?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Have been wanting THE HOURS for many years on blu-ray.... was going to import but most word of mouth is that editions out there have dated meh HD masters.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I’m probably one of the view that thought this was a bit too derivative of Sirk- an Imitation of Sirk if you will. Unlike DePalma paying homage to Hitchcock along with abundant creativity in his films this was basically a hodgepodge remake of various Sirk films all commingled. I mean I like it but.......

Well...part of the idea was to incorporate contemporary themes (in 2002) to a 1950's movie sensibility, as if Sirk had made a film dealing with those issues during that period. (Can you imagine if he did?) Inter-racial romance, gay themes...the film does this and more, IMO.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Well...part of the idea was to incorporate contemporary themes (in 2002) to a 1950's movie sensibility, as if Sirk had made a film dealing with those issues during that period. (Can you imagine if he did?) Inter-racial romance, gay themes...the film does this and more, IMO.

It didn't go far enough for me- it's good but would have been better if Dennis Quaid and Dennis Haysbert paired off and Jullianne More been seduced by Patricia Clarkson.
But seriously it was all a little too safe and obvious for me-and a little boring- Green Bookish? Sirk's films always used lots of glamours overreaching actors reacting to shocking-for-the time themes. This had all the Sirk lighting but with method acting which to me didn't gel. I would have preferred it in a 2002 setting a la Sirk- like Depalma did with all his Hitchcock films.
Were there any other great Todd Haynes film after this?

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Were there any other great Todd Haynes film after this?

Yes - Carol (2015) is a marvellous love story. It's a companion piece to Far From Heaven.

MV5BMTczNTQ4OTEyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgyMDI3NjE@._V1_.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wonderstruck is pretty good too.

I was just going to say that. You beat me in here by a few minutes.

(But seriously, I fully endorse Wonderstruck as a fantastic motion picture and everybody should see it. It's on Prime for those who have that.)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
But seriously it [Far From Heaven] was all a little too safe and obvious for me-and a little boring- Green Bookish? Sirk's films always used lots of glamours overreaching actors reacting to shocking-for-the time themes. This had all the Sirk lighting but with method acting which to me didn't gel. I would have preferred it in a 2002 setting a la Sirk- like Depalma did with all his Hitchcock films.

I guess we are just on opposite sides of the fence concerning this film. I find it near perfect. I've seen the film many times and never once found it boring, Nor do I think Green Book is boring, which I've seen twice. IMO, Far From Heaven wouldn't have worked at all if it were set in 2002. You mention you felt it was safe and obvious, but if you think of it as having been a film that came out in 1957-58, which I believe was the intent of the film, it would've been anything but safe and obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks