What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Edge of Tomorrow -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Doug Limon's Edge of Tomorrow, is an interesting film bouncing off the concept of reliving days for whatever reason. We've seen this before in films such as Groundhog Day, and Jonathan Heap's short film, 12:01 PM. Here is works well, although it takes a bit of time to get off the ground.

In Edge of Tomorrow, Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt must save the world from unpleasant creatures, which don't particularly care for mankind.

The 3D Blu-ray, as photographed by Dion Beebe on 35mm fillum, is beautifully resolved, and finished as a 2k DI.

3D has the capability to look quite good in a home theater environment, but this one had some problems, presumably based upon the conversion.

An entertainingly loud presentation, that uses 7.1 nicely.

Image - 5 (2D)

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
To me, this film is a mash-up of 3 films, THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY, GROUNDHOG DAY and STARSHIP TROOPERS. It's entertaining, for sure. 3D is mediocre, at best.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
... THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY...

This film keeps coming up in stuff I read, I really ought to see it. I vaguely recall reading it got some short shrift somehow when it was released.

The others I have on BD and have watched numerous times (well, ST2&3 only once). And anything with Emily Blunt is fine by me.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I don't believe it got short shrift, when released. It was a small film, that did, fairly well, at the box office.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ My memory (of what I read) certainly isn't infallible... As inferred, I had never even heard of this film, but kept running into it, especially recently. That is extremely rare for me for a film so relatively highly rated now. My thoughts of "short shrift" could mean anything, to me. Like I may have thoughts of "short shrift" when I think of the AAs for that film's year now (not to mention tons of other years...), or maybe there was another film released around the same time that totally overshadowed it at the BO, but in retrospect TAoE was a much better or enduring film...something like that probably. Just my interpretaion of other peoples' opinions since I have no idea, yet.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Is this a re-release with something new? I've had this on my shelf for quite a while now.

I came across some commentary indicating this movie is ideal for those who dislike Tom Cruise. Where else are you going to watch him get killed in so many different ways?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
One of Tom Cruises best films and the best film released last summer. Tons of fun and I thought the 3D was great.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
^ My memory (of what I read) certainly isn't infallible... As inferred, I had never even heard of this film, but kept running into it, especially recently. That is extremely rare for me for a film so relatively highly rated now. My thoughts of "short shrift" could mean anything, to me. Like I may have thoughts of "short shrift" when I think of the AAs for that film's year now (not to mention tons of other years...), or maybe there was another film released around the same time that totally overshadowed it at the BO, but in retrospect TAoE was a much better or enduring film...something like that probably. Just my interpretaion of other peoples' opinions since I have no idea, yet.

Well, it was sandwiched in between MARY POPPINS and THE SOUND OF MUSIC, so, from that perspective, I suppose it got a bit lost, since those two films were so phenomenally successful. It, ultimately, was James Garner's favorite film, and Julie's too, I believe.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
A personal favourite. I didn't find the 3D as problematic as some titles, but not exactly up to the stunning level of some conversions, either.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
In spite of some story problems
(such as Blunt and Cruise trying to get away once they've found the info on the location of the Omega, rather than Blunt simply killing Cruise to reset the timeline and use what he's learned)
I quite enjoyed this. Though I do think they should have kept the title of the manga on which it is based, All You Need Is Kill. As it is, they ended up liking the title they chose so little that they rendered it in tiny letters on all the posters and home video covers, with the tagline (Live. Die. Repeat.) printed so large, it could easily be mistaken for the title.

But after all the movies in which Tom Cruise has defied all odds to survive to the end, it's kind of a kick to see him killed over 20 times in a single film.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Made very little money for its studio while Transformers IV that was released three weeks later pulled in truckloads. Can't say that I understand why as Edge of Tomorrow actually is a really good movie.

I have recommend the movie a lot as too many people have never heard of it or they think that it wasn't very successful and therefore it must be a bad movie.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, I don't get how this movie got "lost"...even if the marketing was not the best. I would have thought the stars, or Cruise alone, would have been plenty enough. Re Cruise: I don't tend to attach an actor's personal life to their movie products. If I started doing that, e.g. re politics or IMO dumb things said/done, I'd really have to pare down my collection. Cruise has an amazing work ethic, does a good job in his roles, and that's what I focus on.

Oblivion138

Second Unit
Real Name
James O'Blivion
I do think that this movie's poor marketing is the main reason it got lost in the shuffle. Like I said, the tagline is featured so much more prominently than the title on the promotional materials, I don't think most people even realized what the movie was called.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
One of Tom Cruises best films and the best film released last summer. Tons of fun and I thought the 3D was great.
Agree strongly.

Yeah, I don't get how this movie got "lost"...even if the marketing was not the best. I would have thought the stars, or Cruise alone, would have been plenty enough. Re Cruise: I don't tend to attach an actor's personal life to their movie products. If I started doing that, e.g. re politics or IMO dumb things said/done, I'd really have to pare down my collection. Cruise has an amazing work ethic, does a good job in his roles, and that's what I focus on.
I don't want to lose the good work on an entertainer just because I don't like his politics or personal behavior. If we're going to go that way, how many of us have thrown away their copies of Chinatown?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks