What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Easter Parade -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
Watched it tonight...Some portions of the film look spectacular and others very brown and drab. Alas there is no American Masters documentary:-(

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

bbath7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Davis
Got mine today. It's one of my favorite movies and looks/sounds fabulous! I understand if they couldn't put the Garland documentary on the disc for whatever reasons. But, why advertise it be on there? Warner's has never done this before! I really wish we could hear a reason for it.

• Agreed

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by bbath7
Got mine today. It's one of my favorite movies and looks/sounds fabulous!
I understand if they couldn't put the Garland documentary on the disc for whatever reasons. But, why advertise it be on there?
Warner's has never done this before! I really wish we could hear a reason for it.
If I had to guess I'd bet it was originally planned to be a part of the release but they found out they didn't have the rights to it and had to pull it at the last minute. It looks like somebody hit the "print" key (so to speak) on an older, outdated sleeve made up before the specs changed and no one caught it before they rolled out.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
bbath7 said:
Warner's has never done this before! I really wish we could hear a reason for it.
If you have Facebook, like the Warner Archive Collection's fan page and ask them there. They're really good about responding to fan inquiries. But I'd say Will is on the money about this one.

David Mahlan

Stunt Coordinator
Now the "Easter Parade" blu-ray, like "Laura" is unavailable from Amazon because it's "under review"
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!) We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
I wonder if it's because of the promised-but-missing documentary. A few of the comments mention the missing extra, but overall reviews are good.

bbath7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Davis
The actual movie itself looks and sounds better that it ever has. No complaints in that area. The other extra carried over from the 2-Disc DVD are great as well.

bbath7

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Davis
According to comments on Amazon, Warner's are sending out corrected discs very soon. They were made aware of the omission and will send replacement discs. Good news!

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
bbath7 said:
According to comments on Amazon, Warner's are sending out corrected discs very soon. They were made aware of the omission and will send replacement discs. Good news!
Thanks for this great bit of news! I just contacted them and requested a replacement disc at this site: http://www.warnerbros.com/help/customer-service.html Hopefully I'll hear something back from them in a few days. Will post as soon as I do!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this a few nights ago. While at its best it looks stunning, there are several sequences where contrast is overly hot and things look way off. I don't remember this problem with the DVD, but I hadn't watched it in some time so I could have forgotten.

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
...it's sad that, apparently, none of the pre multi track recordings survived for the initial dvd nor the blu-ray edition... (...by the way,...I am not the stunt coordinator, as the two oscars indicate...I have no idea where this came from...it would have been nice!)

• Agreed

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, the color is way too hot in many sequences, resulting in bright orange faces - that's not correct. There are certain shots in certain sequences that look just right - if the whole transfer had been like those shots this would be one of the greats. As it is, it's okay - I found myself liking the movie better than I ever have before.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Retroguy, thanks for posting the link to the Warner Customer Service site. I just advised them that not only did my disc also not have the Judy Garland : By Myself documentary, but the English language soundtrack is missing.....the film itself plays silent. Every other language works, but not English. Not surprisingly, Garland's songs are of course sung in English on the language tracks I tried, but then the scene reverts to non-English dialogue. Since I do not speak German or Portuguese, this present a problem.

• Insightful

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Richard M S said:
...but the English language soundtrack is missing...
If that were true, there would be a huge outcry. What is more likely the case is that as the English soundtrack is DTS-HD Master Audio and all the foreign language soundtracks are Dolby Digital, your player settings are probably not set up correctly to process the sound in a way that your receiver (or whatever is producing sound for you) can interpret.

• Insightful

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Mark-P said:
If that were true, there would be a huge outcry. What is more likely the case is that as the English soundtrack is DTS-HD Master Audio and all the foreign language soundtracks are Dolby Digital, your player settings are probably not set up correctly to process the sound in a way that your receiver (or whatever is producing sound for you) can interpret.
I would have to agree with this - there isn't any other possible explanation. The question now is will the original poster sheepishly return to say oops :)

• Agreed

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Nope, I just put my Blu-rays into my Blu-ray player and watch it on my tv, so I have little to no interest in the technology beyond press and play. The content matters more to me; that being said I will look into what you are saying though it is odd the sound on every other Blu-ray worked without my fiddling with the sound set-up.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Richard M S said:
Nope, I just put my Blu-rays into my Blu-ray player and watch it on my tv, so I have little to no interest in the technology beyond press and play. The content matters more to me; that being said I will look into what you are saying though it is odd the sound on every other Blu-ray worked without my fiddling with the sound set-up.
You may have no interest in the technology but the technology is going to rear its ugly little head occasionally. :) It is hard to keep up with it, I admit. But the point is, there's nothing wrong with the Blu-ray. I think it's an easy fix, though - someone can maybe chime in and tell you exactly what you need to do in your settings.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Maybe your setup just doesn't work well playing mono DTS soundtracks. As most soundtracks aren't mono, you might not ordinarily notice the problem.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
Has anyone heard anything back from Warner Brothers regarding the replacement disc? I contacted them a week ago and have yet to receive a reply.

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I heard back from WB tonight: "Please note that Warner Home Video is aware of this issue and we are in the process of making the correction.  In the meantime, if you could please respond with your address, once the disc is available, I will get that shipped out to you immediately.  I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your continued support of Warner Home Video products. Kind regards, Sherri Bogard Warner Bros. Customer Service" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks