What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I watched Shout's EARTHQUAKE last night and noticed a definite uptick in quality and clarity. The Shout version doesn't seem to struggle with the same "noise" issues that the Universal version did. If the Universal version rated about three stars I would say this version is about 4 and 1/4 stars.
Of course this film has some sentimental value for me. It was the first movie that I lobbied to see in the theater. My parents, who did go and see it, claimed it would be too traumatic for a sensitive child in Kindergarten. I had to wait two years to see it on television. As a consolation for not being able to see EARTHQUAKE they took me to see "JOURNEY BACK TO OZ".

Trauma or no, I'd think a 5-year-old would be bored senseless at "Earthquake"!

Not that it's especially entertaining for those of other ages either! ;)

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I always loved Albert Whitlock's matte paintings--he was among the best. Not a huge fan of the film (as others note it takes way too long for something to happen in the film with the first hour really just soap opera garbage) but the work by Whitlock makes it worthwhile for the second section. I realize this was a 2K scan but I wonder what level of improvement we would see with 4K and also if it would just highlight the limitations of the effects work of the time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Yes perhaps more then, I received my replacement, Since up until then there was no apparent mention on needed s replacement.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
BFC0C263-530A-4254-9873-CCA841B190D0.jpeg

ABritch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony Britch
Yes perhaps more then, I received my replacement, Since up until then there was no apparent mention on needed s replacement.

I assumed that the theatrical version was taken from the 70mm print at 2.20:1 instead of 2.35:1, is the theatrical version on disc 1 supposed to be the 2.35:1 image?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I assumed that the theatrical version was taken from the 70mm print at 2.20:1 instead of 2.35:1, is the theatrical version on disc 1 supposed to be the 2.35:1 image?

Read post #46 above. Is pretty well explains what the problem was. It was not taken from a 70mm print but an error in outputting that was not caught by Quality Control.

Shout deserves kudos for stepping up so quick to fix the problem.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Yup, The Poseidon Adventure & The Towering Inferno were (& are) great, but there was a lot of dross in their wake, Earthquake, Beyond The Poseidon Adventure, The Swarm, When Time Ran Out, & many more, some I enjoy & some I don't. Today, if a disaster film isn't up to much, at least there's some mind boggling visuals, thanks to CGI.

I wouldn’t include Earthquake in that list of terrible films.
The Swarm is probably the most enjoyably bad of these. Whatever scenery wasn't destroyed by the bees was joyfully chewed by the cast.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Earthquake new release pressing is as about more the same as the eariler UK release.
The more things Quake. The more they Quake the same.

Colour only tiny margin that my LG OLED can't do with tweaking the colour settings but its still a good laugh this movie. :D

earthquake.jpg

earthquake menu 1.jpg

earthquake 1.jpg

earthquake menu 2.jpg

earthquake 2.jpg

Come on over, baby, whole lotta shakin' goin' on
Yes I said come on over, baby, baby, you can't go wron
g

Having a bit of Sensurround nostalgia flashback shaking syndrome. :D

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This movie probably turned me off to Ava Gardner. I hated her character and hated the romantic subplot with Heston.I have since grown to appreciate her more, as it was after EARTHQUAKE that I saw her in ON THE BEACH and SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. But I have always despised Marjoe Gortner. I'd seen Genevieve Bujold in KING OF HEARTS prior to this and liked her then, but she was simply gorgeous here and in the subsequent SWASHBUCKLER (an underrated film, imo). The special effects seemed pretty good to this 24-year-old, especially as I'd experienced the film with Sensurround. But following the film's aftershock, it grew painfully anticlimactic, and I could have cared less whether or not Heston swam after Gardner to try saving her. So, very ambivalent about EARTHQUAKE then, and now.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I like the story with dam. "It won't budge" that must have been one powerful fictitious Earthquake! The new transfer is slight improvement in picture colour and the odd effect the first pressing had with the grain.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
This movie probably turned me off to Ava Gardner. I hated her character and hated the romantic subplot with Heston.I have since grown to appreciate her more, as it was after EARTHQUAKE that I saw her in ON THE BEACH and SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. But I have always despised Marjoe Gortner. I'd seen Genevieve Bujold in KING OF HEARTS prior to this and liked her then, but she was simply gorgeous here and in the subsequent SWASHBUCKLER (an underrated film, imo). The special effects seemed pretty good to this 24-year-old, especially as I'd experienced the film with Sensurround. But following the film's aftershock, it grew painfully anticlimactic, and I could have cared less whether or not Heston swam after Gardner to try saving her. So, very ambivalent about EARTHQUAKE then, and now.
Scenes like this.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I hope since then you have watched some of Ava's earlier films. I'm thinking of movies like My Forbidden Past, Mogambo and The Snows Of Kilimanjaro.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks