What's new

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes I saw the 70mm print of Ryans Daughter the 2 times it was screened and it looked and sounded fab.
The 70mm print was from Swedish Film Archive.
They've given us Ingmar Bergman; they've archived a 70mm print of a David Lean film; and they even gave us ABBA.:thumbs-up-smiley:
I ask you, now, what's not to love about Sweden?:)
Not wantiing to veer too far off from Dunkirk and this thread; but your seeing "Ryan's Daughter" twice speaks volumes on how this film endures and how mamothly grand it still looks. An envious experience for DP 70, for sure.:cool:

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I'm going for it. I'm gonna get me the Christopher Nolan 7 pack. Not set up for 4K yet; but its a pre-order steal and a good investment. Plus I'll still be getting the BD's for the interum. How could anyone go wrong with that?:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Any takers on "Dunkirk" winning Best Cinematography for Hoyte van Hoytema?:thumbs-up-smiley:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm going for it. I'm gonna get me the Christopher Nolan 7 pack. Not set up for 4K yet; but its a pre-order steal and a good investment. Plus I'll still be getting the BD's for the interum. How could anyone go wrong with that?:thumbs-up-smiley:
Nothing as long as digital copies aren’t important to you as the box set doesn’t include them.

Bought all Seven Nolan films separately today for $161 with UHD digital codes included.

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Any takers on "Dunkirk" winning Best Cinematography for Hoyte van Hoytema?:thumbs-up-smiley:
Hell yes

It will win all the technical awards and some major ones including editing, score, costume design and maybe even director and picture.

It will absolutely lead the Oscar Nominations when they are announced next month.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They've given us Ingmar Bergman; they've archived a 70mm print of a David Lean film; and they even gave us ABBA.:thumbs-up-smiley:
I ask you, now, what's not to love about Sweden?:)
Not wantiing to veer too far off from Dunkirk and this thread; but your seeing "Ryan's Daughter" twice speaks volumes on how this film endures and how mamothly grand it still looks. An envious experience for DP 70, for sure.:cool:

Having seen the exact same print as DP70 - on a DP70 by the way - I can confirm that it looks fantastic. The Swedish film institute holds some real gems.
What you see with such a print can only be adequately reproduced with a UHD disc so here's hoping we will see Ryan's Daughter in that format at some point. Maybe Christopher Nolan will put in a good word?

dobyblue

Agent
Real Name
Steve
I went to see this twice in theatres, once in IMAX 15-perf/70mm and once in the new Laser IMAX (Toronto) which has the new 12-channel sound system. I was very excited to see this in Laser IMAX due to it being in 2D, as it's not limited to 4K with the dual laser system like 3D is. In virtually every aspect, IMAX with Laser blew the 15/70 presentation away. The sound, holy wowza the sound was so much more forceful, in particular the depths being plummeted were so visceral, chest-pounding. This is one aspect you can really come close to in the home with the right system and the 25 mins I managed to watch yesterday made me very happy I have two Paradigm Servo 15s (one 15a and one 15v2).

The more than doubled contrast ratio made everything so incredibly clear and detailed, the perfect projection vs. the tell-tale signs of the film strip that's on it's "x"th run through the projector, the lack of projector noise, the rich and lifelike colors, the inky OLED-like blacks and of course all complimented by the far darker ambient lighting in house vs. the standard 4K cinemas (UltraAVX) one has in Canada.

And now we have that same perfect picture on 4K disc looking absolutely stunning..but I can't help watching it thinking to myself how much more massive and immersive it was seeing this in Laser IMAX with 75% of the movie at the full IMAX AR.

Reference disc through and through, and I love that RAH feels the way he does about the movie...it truly is remarkable.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
After watching this in 15/70 IMAX, there is no way that a home video release of this film could come even close to that experience, sonically or visually.

True. Saw it the same way.

But this is probably as good as a home video release could possibly be. I'll take it.

Also true, for at least a decade. Probably longer (save perhaps for those who have room to accommodate extremely large screens—an 8k version may well work for those few).

I’m not 4K capable at the moment (won’t be for a while as I just replaced my projector last year) but I will be going from 64 to 84” diagonally 16:9 once I have time to install my new screen, so I look forward to seeing this soon (and will future proof my purchase with the 4K version).

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Having seen the exact same print as DP70 - on a DP70 by the way - I can confirm that it looks fantastic. The Swedish film institute holds some real gems.
What you see with such a print can only be adequately reproduced with a UHD disc so here's hoping we will see Ryan's Daughter in that format at some point. Maybe Christopher Nolan will put in a good word?

We haven't even seen Ryan's Daughter in Blu-ray yet.

Real Name
Donovan
Ouch !!
The race is now definitely on.
The Roger Deakins scorecard:
Nominations - 13
Wins - 0

OK then,
Stanley Kubrick, Nominations - 4, Wins - 0 (as director)
Orson Welles, Nominations - 1, Wins - 0 (as director)
Alfred Hitchcock, Nominations - 5, Wins - 0
Martin Scorsese, Nominations - 8, Wins - 1 (as director)

Peter O'Toole, Nominations - 8, Wins - 0 (1 honorary win)

To paraphrase Mr Big, "scorecards are for tombstones, baby"

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
OK then,
Stanley Kubrick, Nominations - 4, Wins - 0 (as director)
Orson Welles, Nominations - 1, Wins - 0 (as director)
Alfred Hitchcock, Nominations - 5, Wins - 0
Martin Scorsese, Nominations - 8, Wins - 1 (as director)

Peter O'Toole, Nominations - 8, Wins - 0 (1 honorary win)

To paraphrase Mr Big, "scorecards are for tombstones, baby"
Not certain if you thought that I was challenging your choice; as I was not. I was simply saying that with 13 nominations and zero wins, well... it is something to be reckoned with when speaking of those who may be deemed as overdue. BTW, the most offensive numbers of the scorecard goes to Peter O' Toole; as those 8 slights will forever remain on the Academy's head and history.

Real Name
Donovan
Not certain if you thought that I was challenging your choice; as I was not. I was simply saying that with 13 nominations and zero wins, well... it is something to be reckoned with when speaking of those who may be deemed as overdue. BTW, the most offensive numbers of the scorecard goes to Peter O' Toole; as those 8 slights will forever remain on the Academy's head and history.

Well, your use of the word scorecard does imply winners and losers, but I took no offense howsoever (thank you Alan Arkin). I remember the reviews for Blade Runner 2049 and near universal praise for Deakins' work, with most comments implying that he'll finally get his Oscar. It's one race this year that will be interesting.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Finally received my discs. This looked phenomenal! No brainer purchase if you're a fan of the movie, or just want demo material.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Finally received my discs. This looked phenomenal! No brainer purchase if you're a fan of the movie, or just want demo material.

Of the Nolan 4Ks, I prefer "Dark Knight" and "Interstellar" for "demo material" simply because they're "shinier" productions.

"Dunkirk" does look great, but it's got a "grittier" vibe that leans away from the eye candy of the other films.

(And "Dark Knight" is easily the most improved of the 4Ks compared to the Blu-ray!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks