What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dredd -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Second time is the charm for Pete Travis' 2012 Dredd, now available on 4k UHD from Lionsgate. Those who experienced the 1995 version will no doubt agree.

While an up-rez from its 2k DI Roots, the film looks superb, especially with a splash of added HDR, for beautifully rendered blacks.

The track, which is offered in Dolby Atmos is properly huge and all-encompassing.

While just a tad violent, Judge Dredd, and his noble sidekick, Anderson, do what's necessary to keep the bad dudes under control, and provide some serious entertainment value for 90 minutes or so.

Another film with lots of darkness, but still looking good in projection. In flat panel OLED, it shines.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I hear it's not an up-rez from 2K DI roots but another scan of a film out. That would be the second Lionsgate disc ignoring the DI data (after Yuma). What is this scanning film outs policy about? Saving money? Image esthetics? DI archival issues?

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
Having watched it and seeing no 4K detail or even sharp 2K DI detail I guess the film out source is quite plausible. Disappointing.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Minus the original and natively-shot 3D, it sounds like less of an upgrade and more of a sidegrade.

At least the 3D Blu-Ray is still included with this, but since I have that already I won't be buying it. Might as well also throw in a standard DVD and some other form of "digital copy" while they're at it!

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
At least the 3D Blu-Ray is still included with this, but since I have that already I won't be buying it. Might as well also throw in a standard DVD and some other form of "digital copy" while they're at it!

I'm confused... It does have the 2D blu-ray and a Digital Copy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks