A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dracula & The Mummy - Complete Legacy Collections -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, May 19, 2017 at 1:55 PM.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    A couple of years ago, I began referencing Universal's classic home video releases as coming from the "new" Universal, as there was a different mindset in place.

Their latest forays into the genre that they essentially created, beginning in the 1920s, remain in top technical form.

The finest surviving elements have been located, scanned, restored, and preserved, and the resultant Blu-ray releases, along with DCPs, for those lucky enough to see these films theatrically, are now in place.

While there is, once again, a bit of duplication in titles from past Blu releases, the prices do not reflect it, especially with The Mummy Collection currently $25 on Amazon for six films and extras of high quality.

If ordering, be very aware that Amazon's prices seem to reflect a certain schizophrenic nature at the moment, with multiple prices for the same product.

Great sets of films. Superb Quality. Terrific value, at around $4 per title.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

ahollis, Jack K, aPhil and 4 others like this.
  2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Cinematographer

Howie
    Robert, those multiple prices for the same product are due to one including "Fandango Movie Cash" while the other does not, although the current listings don't make it clear which is which.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Robert, can you comment on how the previous Blu-rays released as part of the Universal Monsters - The Essential Collection set compare to these?

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'm not RAH, but the titles that were previously issued are identical on these sets. The only exception is the House/House disc which leaves off Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman.

dpippel likes this.
  5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Thanks Peter! I appreciate the info.

6. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    I had a zip through the Mummy set that arrived today, & they look great, far better than they've any right to. Well done Universal, if I'd had to pay twice what I did, there'd be no complaints from me.

TravisR likes this.
  7. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched The Mummy's Tomb this evening. It's a one-hour film, and the first 12 minutes recap all of the key events from The Mummy's Hand, so not a huge amount of content in this one. The murders are pretty ludicrous with people ALLOWING themselves to be strangled by simply being frozen in fear or not even trying to fight back, and I've never seen someone wrapped in bandages walking around through a fiery mansion and none of them ever alighting until the very end. That seemed preposterous. Much less enjoyable than the first two films. But the transfer is once again impeccable.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  8. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    This is one (though not the only) instance when the 9-minute Super 8mm Castle Films edit was actually better than the full-length feature it came from.

Will Krupp and lark144 like this.
  9. Race Bannon

Race Bannon Supporting Actor

Jay
    I think this is one reason those of us who came in later generations (which is probably all of us in this discussion) probably thought the Mummy was the lamest of the Universal monsters to filter down into pop culture. It was hard for us to imagine being so scared of a slow moving, bandaged creature, slowly reaching out. When I first saw the original with Boris Karloff, I was so pleasantly surprised with how much it holds its own in the Universal pantheon. Same goes for the first Hammer Mummy film.

The later Mummy films (including Abbott and Costello) did not serve the Mummy well.

10. warnerbro

warnerbro Second Unit

Darrell
    These Universal monster releases have the most beautiful video presentations imaginable. Absolutely gorgeous. I wish they had just added a few supplements like lobby cards or posters like they used to do on those wonderful laserdisc editions. Now, can we please get THE OLD DARK HOUSE? Please, Universal, give us your fine-grain master for this!

SteveJKo likes this.