What's new

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Judging from Valerie Gaunt's first appearance, she looks slightly out of focus, which indicates to me that the first A or AB reel wasn't focused properly as reel 2AB (from Harker recovering on bed) looks fine.

I agree as you really can't get a sharp focus on Ms. Gaunt's eyes during her first meeting with Jonathan Harker.

Much of the 1st-reel original photography seems a touch soft until the first appearance of Dracula (Christopher Lee)--
It looks this way on IB Tech prints and the Warner DVD and the BFI "revisionist color" version (both Blu-ray & DCP) and the new Warner Brothers color-corrected Blu-ray.

That first shot where Jonathan Harker becomes aware of Dracula's presence at the top of the stairs is definitely out-of-focus, then the next shot of Harker (after we see Dracula) is sharp and most of the movie looks reasonably detailed after that moment

On the new Warner Brothers Blu-ray,
the second meeting with Valerie Gaunt
(prior to and including Dracula's attack in the library)
shows nice sharp focus in both her eyes plus there is detail on the large globe which she walks around --
The Warner Brothers Blu-ray really is a step-up in this department.

The British revisionist-color BFI Blu-ray always bothers me as the human eye of every character is always just a bit soft (like a back-focus problem with a lens but more likely a slightly DNR'd transfer) during the entire film.

On the Warner Blu-ray, the increase in sharpness makes for a far more pleasing image to me:
Having pulled focus on many movies and having shot a few thousand commercials, I'm really sensitive to this --
If I can't make sharp contact with the human eye, then I find myself needing to look away from the movie and find something in the viewing room to reassure me that my eyes are working fine and that it is just the film that has a problem.

To repeat from my previous post, if this constant encroachment of inkwell darkness were not so prominent and oppressive on the Warner Blu-ray, then I would be satisfied with this colorful transfer.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
I agree as you really can't get a sharp focus on Ms. Gaunt's eyes during her first meeting with Jonathan Harker.

Much of the 1st-reel original photography seems a touch soft until the first appearance of Dracula (Christopher Lee)--
It looks this way on IB Tech prints and the Warner DVD and the BFI "revisionist color" version (both Blu-ray & DCP) and the new Warner Brothers color-corrected Blu-ray.

That first shot where Jonathan Harker becomes aware of Dracula's presence at the top of the stairs is definitely out-of-focus, then the next shot of Harker (after we see Dracula) is sharp and most of the movie looks reasonably detailed after that moment

On the new Warner Brothers Blu-ray,
the second meeting with Valerie Gaunt
(prior to and including Dracula's attack in the library)
shows nice sharp focus in both her eyes plus there is detail on the large globe which she walks around --
The Warner Brothers Blu-ray really is a step-up in this department.

The British revisionist-color BFI Blu-ray always bothers me as the human eye of every character is always just a bit soft (like a back-focus problem with a lens but more likely a slightly DNR'd transfer) during the entire film.

On the Warner Blu-ray, the increase in sharpness makes for a far more pleasing image to me:
Having pulled focus on many movies and having shot a few thousand commercials, I'm really sensitive to this --
If I can't make sharp contact with the human eye, then I find myself needing to look away from the movie and find something in the viewing room to reassure me that my eyes are working fine and that it is just the film that has a problem.

To repeat from my previous post, if this constant encroachment of inkwell darkness were not so prominent and oppressive on the Warner Blu-ray, then I would be satisfied with this colorful transfer.

Thank you for elaborating on of what I just touched upon. It looks like it's just 1A and the switch to the B reel must be right in that area. I've always noticed that Harker's reaction was always soft and I guess it was done that way in production. It look like it may have some diffusion added.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
That part of the transfer is clearly off and a bit weird - you can especially see it on the sides of the interiors. Several of the exteriors, of course in bright light, don't have it at all and look much better. I'm happy to have proper color, frankly, and any minor disappointments beyond that are made up for by the proper color.
I remember the rift between you and another poster(Epic Fail) over the BFI release of Dracula. I agreed with you on that one as you defended the "no blue filter" school. I must say though that the crushing of the blacks on this new release is a MAJOR flaw. Corrupted blacks was the phrase Mr. Harris used I believe, and those are strong words. The focus isn't too pleasing either at times. I'm warming up to the Anolis edition. It's not an IB Tech. look but the colors do pop (more so than the BFI), focus is better ( though video enhancement is evident), much less crushing of the blacks and the most complete version of the film (if one believes the Japanese cut to be the definitive one) to date. When all is said and done, I respect your opinions and look forward to future ones.....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That part of the transfer is clearly off and a bit weird - you can especially see it on the sides of the interiors. Several of the exteriors, of course in bright light, don't have it at all and look much better. I'm happy to have proper color, frankly, and any minor disappointments beyond that are made up for by the proper color.
I agree the disappointment is minor, for me extremely minor but getting the proper color is major. I can't watch the lionsgate version. Once was enough. The Annolis edition was reported to be the same print as the U.K. print with a 1-2 seconds of more Japanese footage that was missing audio. The replaced audio makes the crucial music score out of synch and ruins the whole disintegration scene. They may have made some minor adjustments to the transfer but I viewed it once at a friends house and it looks the same as the U.K. to me.

Last edited:

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
To my ears the 1-2 seconds of Dracula grimacing is not missing audio. In fact, all of the necessary Japanese audio for a smoother and more accurate finale is present Some was actually used on the BFI/Hammer-Anolis ending, but in the wrong spots. The BFI is a superior attempt over the Anolis as Anolis had to add that extra scene, but both are a somewhat disappointing experience. I'm enlisting the assistance of an excellent engineer friend of mine (who's worked with John Lennon) to see, as an educational challenge, if we can work the original/restored video into a cleaned up, Japanese soundtrack. That's one of the nice things about the BFI edition as they have the Japanese reel in their Blu Ray set. Besides the audio clean up, we'll extend or shorten long musical phrases as necessary in pro tools....If it succeeds, we'll pitch it to Hammer for a future improvement....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To my ears the 1-2 seconds of Dracula grimacing is not missing audio. In fact, all of the necessary Japanese audio for a smoother and more accurate finale is present Some was actually used on the BFI/Hammer-Anolis ending, but in the wrong spots. The BFI is a superior attempt over the Anolis as Anolis had to add that extra scene, but both are a somewhat disappointing experience. I'm enlisting the assistance of an excellent engineer friend of mine (who's worked with John Lennon) to see, as an educational challenge, if we can work the original/restored video into a cleaned up, Japanese soundtrack. That's one of the nice things about the BFI edition as they have the Japanese reel in their Blu Ray set. Besides the audio clean up, we'll extend or shorten long musical phrases as necessary in pro tools....If it succeeds, we'll pitch it to Hammer for a future improvement....

Possibly I’m not fully understanding the situation, but the “Japanese” footage originated somewhere. Presumably the UK or The Colonies.

Which means that pre-print should be in a vault somewhere. What became of the “Japanese” dupe neg?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm cool with the color, finally, but the absence of the Japanese footage kinda sucks. Once you've seen it, it's hard not to miss it. Plus, the shadow detail i just about nonexistent. Still, for the first time, I have the trailer, and the hues are far closer to correct.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
Possibly I’m not fully understanding the situation, but the “Japanese” footage originated somewhere. Presumably the UK or The Colonies.

Which means that pre-print should be in a vault somewhere. What became of the “Japanese” dupe neg?
Hello Mr. Harris. The Japanese footage used for the film restoration of Dracula (AKA Horror of Dracula) was from a badly water/fire damaged print found by a fan in Tokyo. It had scenes that were never included in world distribution other than Japan. These scenes included a different take (sexier) when Dracula enters Mina's room, and a longer, slightly more gruesome finale. The problem seems to be the sequences are now musically sloppy. Two attempts have been made, the second one adding an additional few seconds of Draculas demise, made for an even more disappointing result. Anyway, in answer to your question, I've never heard any discussion of a dupe-neg being discovered, or if one even exists...only the restored Video, which by the way looks good considering the damage, but you can still notice it when it pops in and out during the ending. As part of the special features on the BMI edition, Hammer included the un-restored damaged Japanese reels which was a nice touch. Many of us think this whole thing can be made better. Thank you sir....

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
And yet, even though these five seconds were ONLY seen in Japan, these people go on and on how they're not buying this Warner Archive release because it doesn't have footage that was never seen anywhere else. Color my mind officially boggled.

Once you see the "new" footage from Japan, you can't unsee it, and it is missed when not included. I am guessing, Bruce, you must have been a reader of Famous Monsters Of Filmland magazine, which numerous times featured a photo from DRACULA that showed his face all peeled away. I was pissed growing up when I saw this film theatrically and on t.v. and that view was never included. The Japanese footage contains a shot very close to that in the FM still. Also, I think the slightly longer climax is better paced -- it doesn't feel as rushed as in the theatrical. I am fine with having both the UK and the Warner Bros. Archive editions, and like them both equally but for different reasons. I certainly would not discourage people from picking up the latest rendition.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, I have the Blu with the Japanese footage and I didn't really care one way or the other, frankly. And yes, I was an avid Famous Monsters of Filmland FANatic - in fact, Mr. Ackerman live two blocks north of me on my street and I used to visit there quite often - that was long before the official Ackermansion.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And yet, even though these five seconds were ONLY seen in Japan, these people go on and on how they're not buying this Warner Archive release because it doesn't have footage that was never seen anywhere else. Color my mind officially boggled.

Film geeks are weird. I believe it was on this very forum that someone said he refused to buy a certain foreign film because the subtitles were printed in yellow rather than white! Go figure!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which is totally bizarre since film fans (especially at HTF) are usually about wanting the original theatrical presentation at all costs (see fights over the years about aspect ratio, color timing, cut/censored/"revised" versions, etc.). So it sounds like what is available on this disc represents the original theatrical presentation in 99% of the world. Adding footage seen by only a few moviegoers in Japan would be a modified/revised version to anyone outside of Japan.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which is totally bizarre since film fans (especially at HTF) are usually about wanting the original theatrical presentation at all costs (see fights over the years about aspect ratio, color timing, cut/censored/"revised" versions, etc.). So it sounds like what is available on this disc represents the original theatrical presentation in 99% of the world. Adding footage seen by only a few moviegoers in Japan would be a modified/revised version to anyone outside of Japan.

That's my perspective. The effects are extremely cheesy in any case. The shorter the better.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
To me the original theatrical presentation is what was released in the US. Yes I am not happy with the “crushed” blacks. But I understand from more learned men than that this was the best it could be. The 2 to 3 seconds i

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

That's something of a moving target, though. We SAY we're for the original theatrical presentation at all costs but, in reality, nobody's arguing for the the theatrical cut of STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE over the uncensored Kazan version now available or wouldn't jump head first onto an uncut copy of MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS if it popped up tomorrow, just to name two off the top of my head. The extra seconds in HOD aren't a big deal to ME, but I get that they are to some people. The British disc makes both cuts available to let the viewer choose which they want to watch.

Yes I am not happy with the “crushed” blacks. But I understand from more learned men than that this was the best it could be.

I'm sorry my dear friend, but with all love and respect that just isn't so. The detail is THERE in the British disc. We've SEEN (recently) that healthy detail still exists and it's not the fault of a poor camera negative that couldn't be bettered. The crushed, oppressive blacks are a result of something Warner did to the master/scan/whatever AFTER they got it.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
That's something of a moving target, though. We SAY we're for the original theatrical presentation at all costs but, in reality, nobody's arguing for the the theatrical cut of STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE over the uncensored Kazan version now available or wouldn't jump head first onto an uncut copy of MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS if it popped up tomorrow, just to name two off the top of my head. The extra seconds in HOD aren't a big deal to ME, but I get that they are to some people. The British disc makes both cuts available to let the viewer choose which they want to watch.

I'm sorry my dear friend, but with all love and respect that just isn't so. The detail is THERE in the British disc. We've SEEN (recently) that healthy detail still exists and it's not the fault of a poor camera negative that couldn't be bettered. The crushed, oppressive blacks are a result of something Warner did to the master/scan/whatever AFTER they got it.

There is a presumption that whatever HD master, supplied to WB is the same as represented on the UK release.

I’m not certain that they are one and the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks