What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This one is probably only for Hammer, Lee, and Dracula completists.

And it's an odd beast.

Dracula returns to swinging early '70s (1970s) London, and B- grade horror ensues.

I presume that Warner Archive released this via requests from that specific group, which is hopefully large enough to more than cover the cost.

As with any Warner Archive product, the expected quality is intact. Image appears to come from an IP. Audio is fine.

Image - 4.5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Certainly

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Thank you for providing the insight Mr. Harris. I was hoping that Warner still had access (or would release) some of the other Hammer Titles, but perhaps these last two (this and Satanic Rites) are the only two left in their wheelhouse. Disappointed, as I was hoping that their October slate would include THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS - it's a crime this still hasn't made its way into HD via the States.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They still have the two biggies: Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein. Both of which they said need restoration. HoD looks good on the U.K. blu, with controversial color; CoF looks bad on the U.K. They also have She, Crescendo, Hysteria, and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I can remember seeing the trailer at the cinema & thinking, oh dear Hammer have had their day, but really there's only one or two Hammers I like past the mid-sixties. It was great while it lasted. I've never seen this film, & never will.

Real Name
Tim
Thank you for providing the insight Mr. Harris. I was hoping that Warner still had access (or would release) some of the other Hammer Titles, but perhaps these last two (this and Satanic Rites) are the only two left in their wheelhouse. Disappointed, as I was hoping that their October slate would include THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS - it's a crime this still hasn't made its way into HD via the States.
I've been hoping for The Fearless Vampire Killers too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
FVK is not a Hammer movie.
I don't believe anyone said it was; the comment was:
Disappointed, as I was hoping that their October slate would include THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS - it's a crime this still hasn't made its way into HD via the States.
The emphasis seems to be that FVK would be an ideal October release, and since the two Warner Archive releases are Hammer titles, that reduces the likelihood of FVK getting an October release.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
They still have the two biggies: Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein. Both of which they said need restoration. HoD looks good on the U.K. blu, with controversial color; CoF looks bad on the U.K. They also have She, Crescendo, Hysteria, and maybe one or two others that I'm forgetting.

And don't forget that The Satanic Rites of Dracula Blu-ray is supposed to be here a day or so before Halloween (also from Warner)

I keep hoping for a major major Warner restoration of The Curse of Frankenstein, and a bit of a touch up to Horror of Dracula, and some work to make She (Hammer 1965 version) look good again (as the DVD and TCM showings just do not cut it).

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have read some rumors that Warner has licensed out both Horror of Dracula and Curse of Frankenstein .. time will tell the tale if these rumors are true or not..

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett

More than a little surprised Horror of Dracula is not available in the USA. I remember how excited I was when Warner initially released their Hammer Horror Collection Vol. 1, and anxiously awaited the second Volume. I've long since given up on that though. It's wild how many different labels hold the rights to the Hammer films!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I can think of a dozen or so deep catalog titles I would have preferred WAC to release over this; strictly within the horror/suspense genre in honor of Schock-tober: Stage Fright (the only Warner Hitchcock title still MIA in hi-def), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - both 1931/41 editions, Gaslight - both versions, The Thin Man (all of them), I Walked With A Zombie, The 7th Victim (two sadly underrated Val Lewton masterpieces), and, Murder She Said.

Personal opinion of course, and fully recognizing opinions will vary, but I sincerely wish WAC would just ditch the C-grade fluff that's been coming down the pike lately, a la The Swarm, and Queen of Outer Space. Really?!?! This before any of the aforementioned titles? Really?!?!? PS - there's better Hammer horror out there too.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK

I presume that Warner Archive released this via requests from that specific group, which is hopefully large enough to more than cover the cost.

Yeah...I wonder whatever became of George Feltenstein's philosophy that you cannot let fans pick and choose what a company will release or they'll bankrupt it. Realizing, of course, that tastes will vary, and WAC is picking from assets they believe they can get to the market with minimal clean-up and restoration, I still am getting increasingly tired of seeing C-grade fluff like The Swarm, Queen of Outer Space and this anomaly in the Chis Lee/Hammer cycle being pushed to the front of the line. Love horror and sci-fi - but it at least ought to be good horror and sci-fi.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I can think of a dozen or so deep catalog titles I would have preferred WAC to release over this; strictly within the horror/suspense genre in honor of Schock-tober: Stage Fright (the only Warner Hitchcock title still MIA in hi-def), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - both 1931/41 editions, Gaslight - both versions, The Thin Man (all of them), I Walked With A Zombie, The 7th Victim (two sadly underrated Val Lewton masterpieces), and, Murder She Said.

Personal opinion of course, and fully recognizing opinions will vary, but I sincerely wish WAC would just ditch the C-grade fluff that's been coming down the pike lately, a la The Swarm, and Queen of Outer Space. Really?!?! This before any of the aforementioned titles? Really?!?!? PS - there's better Hammer horror out there too.
If Warner thought the titles you want would sell more copies than the titles you are dismissing, I'm sure they'd rush them right out. But it's likely The Swarm will move more copies the desired titles you listed.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
If Warner thought the titles you want would sell more copies than the titles you are dismissing, I'm sure they'd rush them right out. But it's likely The Swarm will move more copies the desired titles you listed.

Honestly, I want to see the numbers on that.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's always a combination of what they believe is going to sell and what's already in good enough condition to release.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Honestly, I want to see the numbers on that.
I don't know Warner numbers, but I'd imagine we can draw parallels with Twilight Time's experience.

B-movie genre releases like Fright Night (two releases, 8000 copies), The Blob (1988) and Christine are near instant sellouts, while classic films like The Roots of Heaven (1958), All the King's Men (1949), Stormy Weather (1943), and To Sir, With Love (1967), still have not sold out 3000 copies several years after they were released.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...I wonder whatever became of George Feltenstein's philosophy that you cannot let fans pick and choose what a company will release or they'll bankrupt it. Realizing, of course, that tastes will vary, and WAC is picking from assets they believe they can get to the market with minimal clean-up and restoration, I still am getting increasingly tired of seeing C-grade fluff like The Swarm, Queen of Outer Space and this anomaly in the Chis Lee/Hammer cycle being pushed to the front of the line. Love horror and sci-fi - but it at least ought to be good horror and sci-fi.
These two Dracula titles and all of Warners Hammer titles received so many requests on their facebook page over the past year that Warner Archive started deleting every requests for them. These will be among the top sellers for Warner Archive this year if not the top.

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
As to wanting other titles over this film, well, will there ever be a day that someone does not feel that way about something ?

I'm really happy that Warner is releasing Dracula A.D. 1972, plus I'm happy that they have "re-acquired" The Satanic Rites of Dracula.

Of course there are other titles I prefer, but I want these as well !

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks