What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned... -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

The footage certainly exists. I asked the film's editor, Anthony Harvey, about the original ending, and was told that the footage was in place, but was removed after the Kennedy assassination, which occurred only eight weeks before release. It's interesting how many films either in production or about to go into release were affected by the tragedy.

The actual lift stayed with Mr. Harvey for several years, and when he came upon it amongst his things, he returned it to SK.

I'm told that the studio has made efforts to add it to this, and earlier DVD releases, but apparently for whatever reason is has not been made available to them.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It is probable that neither Mr. Kubrick nor cinematographer Gilbert Taylor, currently 95 years old, achieved anything with the footage. But rather, it is what it is.

Since the original negative does not survive, what we see was created from the finest extant film elements, inclusive of a not terribly well made fine grain master. "Gritty and not robustly detailed" in this case may well simply mean "dupey."

RAH

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano

Alexander Walker's book _Stanley Kubrick Directs_ says that Kubrick used "othochromatic" stock to give the battle footage a documentary, shot-in-battle texture. I can't say whether Walker got the tech detail correct or not, but that's all I know.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Thanks Robert and Brian too! I feel so extanted! You taught me a new, to me, word this week Robert, I feel like a human Extantanista. I quess it's part dupey and part style.....this Strangelove. It sounds as if this also might be your fav movie...? Now, don't throw pies at me but if you do, I like coconut creame.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Wasn't a line of dialogue spoken by Slim Pickens also ADRed due to the assasination? I seem to recall reading that when Pickens goes over the items in each soldiers survival pack, he originally said something like, "A fellow could have a fun weekend in Dallas with all that", but the city was changed in ADR following the JFK assasination.

A lot of films were altered after Columbine, too. SCREAM 3 had its violence toned back considerably, and I think even the plotline may have been changed from what was originally intended. I remember that Kevin Smith got some worried calls from Miramax around this time, too, as we were mixing DOGMA at Skywalker Sound for its Cannes screening when Columbine occured, and some of the violence in that film was suddenly an issue (i.e., Loki shooting up the boardroom). Kevin didn't cut anything at that point, but it was definitely suddenly on the Miramax executives' minds.

Vincent

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The release of The Quiet American (with Michael Caine and Brendan Fraser) was delayed owing to the attacks on 9/11 as the studio did not want to market a film suggesting a US government conspiracy to stage an attack and blame a despised enemy on the heels of the attacks on NYC.

Films and other forms of pop culture are not immune from the pressures of current events.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Gordon McMurphy

The previous 2-disc SD transfer was far too dark, as the DVD Beaver comparison reveals. The BD may be a little too bright when viewed on my PC monitor when compared to my plasma TV which often seem to be the case. The cropping/framing on the BD is better. The original mono soundtrack really ought to have been uncompressed, though. Otherwise, this is marvelous work from Sony.
Wow, that 2004 release looks really bad. As you said, it's indeed way too dark and the framing looks wrong. I just finished watching the BD and thought it looked great.

It's interesting how this film just gets better every time you watch it.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
Was this ever screened in cinemas with the shifting aspect ratio, or was that just created for home video releases?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by iDarren

Was this ever screened in cinemas with the shifting aspect ratio, or was that just created for home video releases?
The use of the word "ever" comes into play here. The OCN had varying aspect ratios as it was shot with more than one camera. Same situation with Lolita. To add a widescreen matte, the lab must go to an optical dupe, which is not a good way to go.

So, ever? Probably.

However, the film was designed to be to run with a proper aperture plate in projection, and with the image properly centered.

RAH

esl88

Auditioning
Real Name
Eli
The restoration and picture quality for Strangelove is fantastic. I think the only person who had the audacity to criticize this amazing release is the ever-annoying Jeffrey Wells of Hollywood Elsewhere. I wish someone would have a talk with this guy and explain that grain is not the enemy. The guy could wind up doing a lot of harm to catalogue titles with his oblivious anti-grain crusades.

Jeffrey's review: http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/06/beware_of_stran.php

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Wow, that was a great laugh . You should check out his review of The Third Man too, it's even more hilarious.

And Dr. Strangelove didn't even struck me as obtrusively grainy to me? I've seen titles with much more grain. In any way, Mr. Wells should be happy he held onto the 2001 dvd, if not for the much less visible grain then for the alternating ratio.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

The footage certainly exists. I asked the film's editor, Anthony Harvey, about the original ending, and was told that the footage was in place, but was removed after the Kennedy assassination, which occurred only eight weeks before release. It's interesting how many films either in production or about to go into release were affected by the tragedy.
That would be a very interesting thread: "Films Changed Because of Current Events Prior to Release." Well that's a clumsy thread title, but you get the idea.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A film release that was changed for "current events" is the second screen adaptation of The Quiet American in 2001. Originally meant to come out just after 9/11, its release was delayed (and done on fewer screens than initially planned) because a key plot point suggests

a government conspiracy by the US was responsible for a terror attack against civilians.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks