What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downton Abbey - Season Two -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Guys, I am so glad people are getting hooked on Downton. I would never reveal a plot. What I stated was about the end of the first episode on season 3. I did not reveal the end just because I did not want to spoil it for others. Boardwalk was out on DVD and we talked about the next season and some people may not even have HBO while the talk was going on. The same with Battlestar Galactica. I bring this up because I am fan of both. I guess I do not know what to do. I have asked for help. I ask members to give ideas too. What a quandry this is folks. I am sorry. Gosh this is the first time I have been edited here. I feel as though I have been spanked.LOL

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I quite enjoyed the two hour premiere of S3, but anyone watching on PBS would be well advised to avoid the next episode preview which is a complete spoiler fest.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
Hi Guys, I am so glad people are getting hooked on Downton. I would never reveal a plot. What I stated was about the end of the first episode on season 3. I did not reveal the end just because I did not want to spoil it for others. Boardwalk was out on DVD and we talked about the next season and some people may not even have HBO while the talk was going on. The same with Battlestar Galactica. I bring this up because I am fan of both. I guess I do not know what to do. I have asked for help. I ask members to give ideas too. What a quandry this is folks. I am sorry. Gosh this is the first time I have been edited here. I feel as though I have been spanked.LOL
I haven't seen this week's episode yet but I don't think you spoiled anything (many, if not most, episodes end with a surprise). That being said, since this is the season two Blu-ray thread, I'd only mention elements from the first two years and leave all the third season talk for a S3 thread in the TV section. With Downton Abbey, it gets a little more tricky though since the new season has already aired in England but not fully in the U.S. yet. In that case, I'd apply the rules that we followed for threads on The Wire. That show was On Demand a week early so a number of people got to see the episodes early. To be fair to those that didn't want to be spoiled, those of us who saw the episodes early just didn't mention anything about it until it had aired at its regular time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Mark Collins
Hi Guys,
I am so glad people are getting hooked on Downton. I would never reveal a plot. What I stated was about the end of the first episode on season 3. I did not reveal the end just because I did not want to spoil it for others.
Boardwalk was out on DVD and we talked about the next season and some people may not even have HBO while the talk was going on. The same with Battlestar Galactica. I bring this up because I am fan of both. I guess I do not know what to do. I have asked for help. I ask members to give ideas too. What a quandry this is folks.
I am sorry. Gosh this is the first time I have been edited here. I feel as though I have been spanked.LOL

I just wanted to write a reminder to folks to be aware that because of the different airing patterns in the US & UK we have run into problems in some threads about plot lines getting revealed which took the fun away for others who hadn't yet had the opportunity to see that particular episode. And of course some people (like myself) are just getting started on the show and want to avoid any potential plot spoiler. I shouldn't even be reading this thread (ah, the hazards of forum moderation...)!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Mike, Thanks for the response!!! Yes Downton is a bit of a problem with it airing in the UK first. I refuse to read anything about it for that reason. Previews even as one member stated spoil some shows. I am glad your hooked though. I could not believe when they said it has broke the record on PBS as their most popular series. I got hooked last year just by turning PBS on and it happened to be the first episode of season 2. So I ordered up season 1 right off. I know people have had problems with the discs I hope this does not happen in season 3 which of course is on order for me right now. I love the writing on the show and the actors. I mean who can beat Maggie Smith. The house the show is filmed in will have a 1 hour history of it on PBS this Wednesday night Chicago time 8. Now the broadcast could be earlyer in other parts of the country. We have this Chicago Tonight which always delays PBS broadcasts. So it could air 7 CST or 8 EST Happy viewing everyone!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree. Mark didn't really say anything to give anything away. Downton is known for its surprises, and there have been plenty in every season. I know when I reviewed the second season set, I had to tred carefully not to give too much away while still being specific enough to set things up for those who might have been curious about the show but hadn't yet experienced it. I got the review set three weeks before the series concluded on PBS which made it doubly difficult to sit on some BIG developments and not say anything too spoilery for the uninitiated.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have started a new thread under TV Programming to discuss Downton Abbey Series 3 on PBS. You can find it here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326658/downton-abbey-series-3-on-pbs

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I made a terriable mistake Highcliff Castle airs tonight and could be airing in your area now on pbs. Chicago it will air in less than 45 minutes 8:00pm Secrets of Highclere Castle 8:00 CST The castle that serves as Downton Abbey has its own history.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Since PBS had record-breaking ratings for part 1, I suspect it will re-air a fair amount (I think I found four options this week before Sunday night's next chapter.) and I imagine the specials like the one on Highcliff Castle will re-air, too.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I love the person who put this together for Super Bowl Sunday The Downton episodes I am sure PBS will follow the practice of last year and air the last weeks episode back to back with the new episode for the week. So the 2 hour episode will start 2 hours before the new one begins. I am sure they will because they aired the last episode of season 2 back to back with the opening episode of season 3 last Sunday Night.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I just bought S1 PBS version....I wish I had read this thread first. Anyway, I guess they redid Season 2 for the 1/2 set, but not S1? Anyone know why S1 wasn't redone?

Nico-Angel

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Hi.
Ok so I'm a little confused. Can those playback issues be fixed with the player settings? Is setting it to 1080i enough? The thing is that I don't want to buy the UK sets because the framerate is wrong, and the slow-down is very noticeable to me. So I want to get the region 1 sets that run at the proper speed (seasons 1-2 at least).

So what should I do? Is there also a difference between the individual release and that s1-2 combo? https://www.amazon.com/Downton-Abbe...008HT4FUW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks