What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Downton Abbey - Season Two -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
A bit of an update.

While I've yet to hear anything official from PBS, I did find the time to view the final episode of season two -- the Christmas gathering. Odd bit here, as some exterior scenes are reproduced flat and desaturated, seemingly without reason. Other than that, which may be proper, a quality production in all areas.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Robert Harris said:
A bit of an update.

While I've yet to hear anything official from PBS, I did find the time to view the final episode of season two -- the Christmas gathering. Odd bit here, as some exterior scenes are reproduced flat and desaturated, seemingly without reason. Other than that, which may be proper, a quality production in all areas.
I thought it was because the climate was cold and gray, in keeping with the more somber mood of the first half. That contrast in moods also made me wonder: was this perhaps two episodes, or planned as such, originally?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Paul Penna /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3910682
I thought it was because the climate was cold and gray, in keeping with the more somber mood of the first half. That contrast in moods also made me wonder: was this perhaps two episodes, or planned as such, originally?
I don't recall the UK looking like that, or people's flesh tones looking like that.

Very odd.

RAH

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
I watched the complete season 2 (Original UK edition on Region A/1 Blu-ray) on my DVD purchased through Amazon.com on February 6.
The entire season plays beautifullly -- phenomenal picture, sound. Not a glitch. Colors are perfection.
I played it on my LG all-region player (my primary at this point in time).
I had watched season one on my Sony 350...and, likewise, it played perfectly.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I have the US editions of both seasons and watched them both in their entirety over the last 2 weeks via my Sony BDP-BX1 (essentially the same as the BDP-S350) and experienced no jerkiness EXCEPT when I paused momentarily. Upon resuming play, it would be jerky for approximately 10 seconds and then smooth out and return to normal. Very weird.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by JohnMor /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3923770
I have the US editions of both seasons and watched them both in their entirety over the last 2 weeks via my Sony BDP-BX1 (essentially the same as the BDP-S350) and experienced no jerkiness EXCEPT when I paused momentarily. Upon resuming play, it would be jerky for approximately 10 seconds and then smooth out and return to normal. Very weird.

That's a problem. Are you keeping your Sony fully wound? Takes at least 20 turns, just like an Edison.

RAH

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Robert Harris /t/318842/a-few-words-about-downton-abbey-season-two-in-blu-ray/60#post_3923788

That's a problem. Are you keeping your Sony fully wound? Takes at least 20 turns, just like an Edison.

RAH

LOL. Now you tell me!

spoont

Auditioning
Real Name
spoontazz
I purchased the UK edition from Amazon.com of the Season 2 bluray. Playing it with a Sony bluray player and sony bravia tv, the "judder" was evident right away in all shots with any panning at all. However, I was able to eliminate the problem by adjusting the television settings, not the bluray player settings, by simply turning off all noise reduction features. After that it was smooth panning and a beautifully clear picture.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
spoont said:
I purchased the UK edition from Amazon.com of the Season 2 bluray. Playing it with a Sony bluray player and sony bravia tv, the "judder" was evident right away in all shots with any panning at all. However, I was able to eliminate the problem by adjusting the television settings, not the bluray player settings, by simply turning off all noise reduction features. After that it was smooth panning and a beautifully clear picture.
I also have Sony bluray player (the 350) and Sony Bravia and have sometimes had judder problems as well. Usually it happens with PAL to NTSC conversions that I have on DVD-R's. I also have the UK BD's of Downton Abbey (both seasons) but haven't watched them yet.
I'd be very interested to know exactly which settings you turned off on the television. I'd love to see if it makes a difference with the judder. Many thanks in advance!!!

spoont

Auditioning
Real Name
spoontazz
The Bravia is a kdl-ex500 I think, bd370 player. In the tv settings, Picture mode, I turned off the Noise Reduction, and turned the CineMotion option (2nd page of menu) off. I haven't really narrowed down what works, just was happy when it did.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Thanks Spoontazz!! I'll try that and see if it makes a difference. much appreciated - Allbest.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've found that changing the Blu-Ray Player setting from AUTO to 1080i eliminates the judder - especially on BBC content blu-rays. Many of them are produced as 1080i, and the player doesn't recognize this.
Of course you would need to set it back to AUTO (or 1080p) afterwards.
David

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am glad to hear season 3 of Downton is coming out on HD 1/29/12 and the show will be back on the 6th of that month. I have already put my order in. I guess I am lucky because I have no problems with the two sets I purchased last winter. I have an LCD and panisonic bluray player plus my cheap one which also plays good.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
The Blu-ray set for season 3, (UK version, likely region-free), comes out in November, if you do not want to wait for PBS.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Downton-Abbey-Blu-ray-Hugh-Bonneville/dp/B006W9KNXC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1348058399&sr=8-9

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. November 5 can not get here soon enough!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Steve I am sorry to tell you that is not the case. Season 3 does not come out for us and it is the UK version until the end of January next year. Read Dave and Gord because that is where I found out. Amazon has them as a pre order

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Steve means he's getting the UK version, which will be region-free (presumably, as S1 and S2 were). A strategy I may also adopt, rather than waiting for the U.S. broadcasts/BD release.
EDIT: Well, maybe S3 won't be Region-Free. The Amazon.uk listing shows it being Region B locked. Could be wrong of course, but definitely different than their S1 and S2 listings. Maybe they decided they don't want us Yanks to get it early.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Guys, here is where I read it and put in my order. I did not know that it aired in the UK already I mean season 3. I sure love the series though and look forward to it's return.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Downton-Abbey-Season-3/17496

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am going to risk the order from Amazon.co.uk since the previous 2 seasons were region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks