What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
From the world of the Samuel Goldwyn films, comes William Wyler's wonderful 1936 classic, Dodsworth.

Full disclosure, Mr. Wyler is one of my favorite filmmakers. Along with Richard Brooks, and David Lean, one of the most literate in the art form.

A lovely new restoration has yielded a gorgeous Blu-ray, made available via Warner Archive.

Photographed by Rudolph Mate, the gray scale, black levels, grain structure, are all quite appealing, with zero image problems. Not certain if I detected the slightest bit of wow and flutter in a momentary bit of music, but I never felt it necessary to go back and check.

I've always found that this film plays more akin to a pre-code production that from its post-code era, as the various entanglements and interrelationships are represented quite out in the open.

Literary, in a very good way, from Sidney Howard's screenplay, based upon the novel by Sinclair Lewis.

A wonderful film, with superb performances, and great dialogue. It's interesting to see how the male lead, Mr. Huston, aged between this film and his later Chinatown.

First appearance of John Payne.

And last but not least, in her first American film, the future Maleva of Wolf Man fame, Maria Ouspenskaya.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - You'd better believe it!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I had heard of this film for years and always thought it was a western ! Saw it at a TCM Fest last year and loved it. Agree with you about Mr. Wyler.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Splendid review, Mr. Harris. However, I wish to point out that Walter Huston was not in Chinatown, but his son, John was.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Splendid review, Mr. Harris. However, I wish to point out that Walter Huston was not in Chinatown, but his son, John was.

John was a director, and screenwriter. Directed Mary Astor in a little b/w 1941 drama, and acted in his own film in 1948. Walter gave an extraordinary performance at age 91 in Chinatown.

Not to be confused with Anjelica, Jack or Tony, Texans all, and related to General Sam Huston, probably best known for his exploits regarding the Alamo, and the construction of the first airport in Texas, aiding the Americans to win the war of independence from Spain.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
From the world of the Samuel Goldwyn films, comes William Wyler's wonderful 1936 classic, Dodsworth.

Full disclosure, Mr. Wyler is one of my favorite filmmakers. Along with Richard Brooks, and David Lean, one of the most literate in the art form.

A lovely new restoration has yielded a gorgeous Blu-ray, made available via Warner Archive.

Photographed by Rudolph Mate, the gray scale, black levels, grain structure, are all quite appealing, with zero image problems. Not certain if I detected the slightest bit of wow and flutter in a momentary bit of music, but I never felt it necessary to go back and check.

I've always found that this film plays more akin to a pre-code production that from its post-code era, as the various entanglements and interrelationships are represented quite out in the open.

Literary, in a very good way, from Sidney Howard's screenplay, based upon the novel by Sinclair Lewis.

A wonderful film, with superb performances, and great dialogue. It's interesting to see how the male lead, Mr. Huston, aged between this film and his later Chinatown.

First appearance of John Payne.

And last but not least, in her first American film, the future Maleva of Wolf Man fame, Maria Ouspenskaya.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - You'd better believe it!

Highly Recommended

RAH

Certainly sounds like a release to look forward to! Question, though, Mr. Harris: the press release for this film said that it was "Restored in 2019 by The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Film Archive and The Film Foundation in association with the Samuel Goldwyn Jr. Family Trust." Given how much a lot of us are looking for hope that more of the Goldwyn films are coming, I'd like to know, outside of releasing this on disc, how much involvement did the Warner Archive have in this restoration? Do we have hope that, if this sells well enough, WAC will pursue restoring and releasing more of these, or will it take more outside involvement to restore any more of the Goldwyn films and get them released?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Happy to used my dvd recorder to record the 1986 Documentary "Directed by William Wyler" when it has been broadcasted on tv. Kinda short at 58 minutes but you see a interview of the director days before he passed away and films clips from Dodsworth and many others.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
I'd hoped that Warners would bring out a 4K of Wyler's BEN HUR for it's 60th anniversary.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I've been catching up on some of Wyler's films and this is great timing. I'm hoping more of the Samuel Goldwyn Trust titles get this treatment since it seems like many of them are in dire need of restoration or at least remastering work.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I am so grateful to read Mr. Harris’ words about this forthcoming release. This film is a long-time favorite and the old DVD was dreadful. I pre-ordered when announced, and anxiously await the new Blu!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
John was a director, and screenwriter. Directed Mary Astor in a little b/w 1941 drama, and acted in his own film in 1948. Walter gave an extraordinary performance at age 91 in Chinatown.

Not to be confused with Anjelica, Jack or Tony, Texans all, and related to General Sam Huston, probably best known for his exploits regarding the Alamo, and the construction of the first airport in Texas, aiding the Americans to win the war of independence from Spain.

I understand you’ve done pretty ok in this film racket, but oh boy you could have made a killing as a political speechwriter.

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
I never get tired of this film.

Harrison Ford was once linked to a remake but nothing ever became of it...I could see this film with a dream cast of older actors.

The themes are all as relevant as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks