What's new

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
The murdnunoc is that the director's cut is an extra, albeit on an extra disc, and is presented, not in true 4k, but in HD.
Is this not a missed opportunity?
Our internet is too slow to stream a 4K version of the director's cut, so the missed opportunity is now the lack of a 4k disc sale.
A lot of people say the director's cut is the way to go, so I've just bought the Blu Ray only set with the extra Blu Ray of the Director's cut.....

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I've just bought the Blu Ray only set with the extra Blu Ray of the Director's cut.....
.....and I'm glad I did. Loved the longer cut of the film and the time whizzed by.

Having watched the extras on the Theatrical disc, I let this version of the film start and watched the scene between Rose and the girl at the lakeside. The number of 'missed beats' in this cut was quite a surprise and a side by side comparison is a masterclass in how editing can really affect the information and emotional impact of a story.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
13C0C6B0-19C5-4FB3-912E-A94E15BB9AE5.jpeg
Purchasing this film is what led me down the rabbit hole of entering hundreds of digital codes accumulated and neglected over the years...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Many codes still work after their expiration date.

Interesting. I've never redeemed a code to watch a movie, so I assumed they really did expire, though that seemed stupid to me.

Those discs stay on the shelves long after their initial release. If you buy a BD 3 years later, you can't use the code? :rolleyes:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
.....and I'm glad I did. Loved the longer cut of the film and the time whizzed by.

Having watched the extras on the Theatrical disc, I let this version of the film start and watched the scene between Rose and the girl at the lakeside. The number of 'missed beats' in this cut was quite a surprise and a side by side comparison is a masterclass in how editing can really affect the information and emotional impact of a story.

Could not agree more. The lakeside scene plays totally differently.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Interesting. I've never redeemed a code to watch a movie, so I assumed they really did expire, though that seemed stupid to me.

Those discs stay on the shelves long after their initial release. If you buy a BD 3 years later, you can't use the code? :rolleyes:

Often, Movies Anywhere will let you redeem old codes after they've expired and don't work on their original sources anymore (assuming the studio participates in Movies Anywhere).

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Every "expired" code I've ever tried has worked just fine.

In the early days of Digital Copy and UltraViolet, I didn't pay much attention and just left the code forms in the disc cases. Recently, I've gone through my discs and found a bunch of unused code sheets. Some have still redeemed well past their expiration dates, but I do have a number that no longer work anywhere.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In the early days of Digital Copy and UltraViolet, I didn't pay much attention and just left the code forms in the disc cases. Recently, I've gone through my discs and found a bunch of unused code sheets. Some have still redeemed well past their expiration dates, but I do have a number that no longer work anywhere.

Most of the codes I've found in my collection that failed came from the early days of digital copies, and included an actual disc that was used in the redemption process.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a big Stephen King fan, and not a huge fan of the first film (mostly because I loved the book and while Kubrick is a cinematic genius I disliked the way it greatly changed the Jack Torrance character), I managed to skip this film in the theater. Mostly because I was unfamiliar with Flanagan as a director, and as Han Solo says, "I've got a bad feeling about this..." when it comes to King adaptations, especially since I heard this was going to be "as much as sequel to movie version of The Shining as it was an adaptation of the novel."

And then a friend whose taste in movies I trust said "watch this". So I got the 4K, and noted that only the BD had the extended cut. So, what the heck. We're locked in during a pandemic, let's splurge and watch the full version.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I don't think I'll ever watch the theatrical cut, because these 3 hours flowed so quickly and smoothly, any attempt to cut nearly a half hour off of this movie would, IMO, render the resulting product inferior. This movie managed what it said: it provided a great (if not fully faithful) adaptation of the King novel and...somehow redeemed (maybe that's too strong of a word) the original Kubrick film for those of us who didn't like the liberties it took with the original novel.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the shorter version likely "feels longer and more disjointed" than this version, despite being 30 minutes shorter. Those who've seen it, feel free to correct me, as I have no plans to ever watch anything other than the Director's Cut.

There's only one other film I've ever seen that was this much longer and felt shorter, and that was Ridley Scott's Kingdom of Heaven.

Mr. Scott was on a real roll then, coming from Gladiator, and I remember being very excited in the theaters, and coming out feeling like KoH was a decent film, but a bit of a mess editorially. Then I bought the Director's Cut BD, and that was a revelation. I had come out of the theater with maybe a 6.5 rating of KoH, and it suddenly jumped up to 8.0 (I'm using my own personal IMDb scale).

If you are a fan of King and this novel, I highly recommend the DC. Sad that the 4K is only the theatrical cut, but as RAH said, finished in 4K resolution and being 1.85:1 and 3 hours...and with a lot of complex and dark imagery...it's probably a nightmare to put on one disc. And to be honest, the BD itself looked stunning to my eyes. At first I wondered if I'd be missing the added pixels and HDR, but it looks great.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The streaming version has the DC available in 4K Dolby Vision with Atmos, Carlo. I agree that the DC is far better than the theatrical cut. Too bad both aren't available in 4K on physical media.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks