What's new

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I am now aware of three people who say they have seen a print with the missing fifteen seconds but the proof is in pudding. I simply suspect Universal (who I assume had been aware of this problem since I first raised it on Dave Kehr's blgosite in 1994) and Disc producer Issa Clubb (to whom Neil MacGlone who was adviser on bonus items ) were also aware of the problem. If they were not it beggars belief. It is possible all or any prints (all 16mm as far as I know) which were still complete are held in Europe, but not subitlted. I last saw it (in 35mm) in a Paris cinema (the Champo) in the mid 90s. It was complete. Of course Uni would have to replace the full 38 second shot because it's done as a single take. Time to stir the pot (again.) Part of me says "let it go" but the rest of me is saying get it fixed The 2K (or 4K) mastering stage is surely the place to do a full and thorough harvest

https://www.facebook.com/permalink....21751961489&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Sad to say, but my 30+ year old memory of my old print turned out to be wrong. The missing dialogue isn't there either. My guess is that I saw the missing dialogue in text form somewhere online, long ago, and then reading those lines again now, "remembered" them into my print.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I am still convinced they were there years ago. Which doesn't mean they are still around. The splice within the shot is too rough to be ignored. I am convinced it was in MOMA's (or possibly UCLA's) 35mm nitrate for a Jo retorspective in Sydney in 1968. Jo was here at our invitation and brought (smuggled in actually) the three 16mm cans of Anatahan which he had "Borrowed' from a friend. I was among a tiny group of viewers who watched Anathana that magic afternoon at the SydneyFF and stood around later to talk and shake his hand. I was 18. Contrary to reputation etc he was charming, humble, obviously deeply happy to be showing and talking about the film, even in this tattered old fleapit that housed the screening. HIs demeanor belied eveyrthing one had heard about him. Getting back to SE, I may be fighting a losing battle on this dialogue if not my own ageing memory. The script is reprinted in full from dialogue continuities provided by Universal and from screenings of both BFI and the BBC's own 35mm prints of this and Morocco, in a book published by Lorimer in the UK in 1973. I have never bought the "censorship" line, my own view is it's likely some imbecile in the archive at Universal snipped out the section of the shot without replacing it (the full shot) that followed several seconds of very bad emulsion tearing and scratches. THe print damage which precedes the cut is very obviously visible in the French PAL DVD and audible on the soundtrack.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw MOMA's print of SHANGHAI EXPRESS a number of times in the late 60's & 70's & I can also swear that it was part of the film then. In fact, I always considered those lines a key moment of the film.

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I saw MOMA'a print of SHANGHAI EXPRESS a number of times in the late 60's & 70's & I can also swear that it was part of the film then. In fact, I always considered those lines a key moment of the film.
The scene is critical because in it Lily is able to get Lenard off the hook with the ruthless Chang. Her powers of persuasion are very much in focus, as is her compassion for Lenard who is simply trying to save face with his sister in Shanghai.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Harris, thanks for the recommendation on the set! :). I’ve only seen Blonde Venus last year which is in the Paramount Cary Grant collection set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks