What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Dick Tracy -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are a handful of films that I've been waiting for on Blu-ray, as the increase in resolution and color accuracy should have a major affect on the final product.

Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy has been near the top of that list since Blu-ray arrived.

Unsung stars of the film are Richard Sylbert's production design, which along with Harold Michelson's Art Direction and Milena Canonero's Costume design, set a high standard. Then, the extraordinary make-up, special and visual effects...

The list can go on.

Want your color punched up, in your face, and drop dead gorgeous?

That's all well and good, but then who do you get to photograph what has been created?

Vittorio Storaro.

Not bad.

Word is that both Mr. Beatty and Mr. Storaro were checking and approving every frame of this new HD transfer, and with gentlemen of their ilk hanging around, chances are the final result will be better than good.

It is.

Dick Tracy is glorious, and will be one of the finest catalog Blu-rays of 2012. Actually, we can leave out the word catalog. It is one of the most beautiful Blu-rays of the year.

Back in 1990, when the film was released, blow-up prints were produced, which along with the 35s, were ENR. That 6-track magnetic audio comes to the Blu-ray via DTS-HD Master Audio, to round out a perfect Blu-ray release from Disney.

Color, densities, shadow detail, grain structure are all on the screen, creating a very cinema-like experience.

Great film, with a great cast of supporting players.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

I'll say it again -- One of the most beautiful Blu-rays of 2012.

RAH

Reactions: PMF

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
A shame Disney didn't pony-up on this title in the bonus content category by bringing us a true "Collector's Edition", but at least they appear not to have skimped in the A / V department. Wonderful to hear and will be spinning my disc very soon now!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Okay, so maybe I won't wait for this to hit the less than $15 mark like I had planned.
I was hoping for extras, but if the image is that good, I am all the more eager to see it.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Robert Harris said:
Word is that both Mr. Beatty and Mr. Storaro were checking and approving every frame of this new HD transfer,
If true, it's interesting that the disc was released in its theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. As I recall, both Beatty and Storaro have claimed in the past that they composed the frame for Academy 1.37:1 to emulate the square nature of comic strip panels, but studio resistance prevented them from releasing it pillarboxed on the 35mm prints.
Then, of course, Storaro also has his crackpot "Univisium" theory about wanting to crop everything to 2:1 no matter how it was composed. So there was really no telling what ratio this would end up at. I guess the theatrical ratio turned out to be a happy medium between the two extremes.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
sorry I love parts of this movie ,but I think there's problem for me with the images,I wish I could write better,and fake sets and back lots
isn't it,the matte paintings and storaro aren't the problem,Maybe its the director ,who is one of my Favorite stars and makes good films
but really dosn't have a bit of Visual talent,and just hiring talented people ,doesn't cut it,the print is fantastic like most Storaro films
i know I am alone ,most here love it

jack phillips

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
JoshZ said:
If true, it's interesting that the disc was released in its theatrical 1.85:1 ratio. As I recall, both Beatty and Storaro have claimed in the past that they composed the frame for Academy 1.37:1 to emulate the square nature of comic strip panels, but studio resistance prevented them from releasing it pillarboxed on the 35mm prints.
I used to have the LD. If I recall correctly, the Academy ratio was used on that release.

Rocky F

Second Unit
Peter Neski said:
sorry I love parts of this movie ,but I think there's problem for me with the images,I wish I could write better,and fake sets and back lots
isn't it,the matte paintings and storaro aren't the problem,Maybe its the director ,who is one of my Favorite stars and makes good films
but really dosn't have a bit of Visual talent,and just hiring talented people ,doesn't cut it,the print is fantastic like most Storaro films
i know I am alone ,most here love it
I think the fake look was on purpose. I'm sure the budget would have allowed for a more realistic look, but Beatty was wanting the film to look like the comic strips it was drawn from.
jack phillips said:
I used to have the LD. If I recall correctly, the Academy ratio was used on that release.
I only owned the VHS, it was 4:3. :D
Along with Batman (89) and The Rocketeer, this was one of the few really great comic adaptations of my high school years, I really don't know why I haven't added all three of them to my BluRay collection yet, but hopefully they will be there soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Rocky F /t/326315/a-few-words-about-dick-tracy-in-blu-ray#post_4018033
Along with Batman (89) and The Rocketeer, this was one of the few really great comic adaptations of my high school years, I really don't know why I haven't added all three of them to my BluRay collection yet, but hopefully they will be there soon.

I think it's really great that all three are available on Blu-ray for you to add to your collection.

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
While I can understand some folks not liking the stylized look and performances of Beatty's Dick Tracy, I have always loved the look and feel of the film. It's high underrated and deserves a good blu-ray release. This is exciting to read Mr. Harris. I like and appreciate good extras; but the film's the thing.

Reactions: PMF

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
It's historically important to note that "Dick Tracy", along with "Terminator 2-Judgement Day", were the first two theatrically released movies to be produced with 5.1-channel digital surround sound, predating Dolby Digital by over a year...Cinema Digital Sound was the format's name if I recall correctly...I was just as blown away 22 years ago by the audio quality of this film as I was by Storarro's visual artistry in the film image when I saw this at San Francisco's Regency Theater back then...
Having seen and heard this blu-ray on my home theater setup, I can honestly say that it brought back those thrills!!!

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Good to get assurance from RAH that this looks so good. I've always loved this film as a visual experience, so am excited to pick it up.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Sorry...what's "ENR"? :confused:
I've loved this film since I saw it theatrically; the only weakness for me is....Madonna. But, I can manage to overlook her poor acting and weak singing because the rest of the film is so visually stunning, and has a sentimental quality that kept it from being just another mindless comic adaptation.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
MielR said:
Sorry...what's "ENR"? :confused:
I've loved this film since I saw it theatrically; the only weakness for me is....Madonna. But, I can manage to overlook her poor acting and weak singing because the rest of the film is so visually stunning, and has a sentimental quality that kept it from being just another mindless comic adaptation.
Bleach bypass?

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
Back in 1990, when the film was released, blow-up prints were produced, which along with the 35s, were ENR.
Hence the bleach bypass link to Wiki in my post as well.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Dick Tracy didn't use bleach bypass, though, did it? I can't imagine that it did. Doesn't have that look at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks