1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about... ™ Dexter

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Robert Harris, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Showtime's Dexter has arrived on DVD via CBS TV / Paramount.

As someone who doesn't see a great deal of television, I walked into the viewing with no prior information, and was unable to turn away.

Dexter is like one of those great paperback summer reads that you can't put down.

The disc jacket copy calls the 12 episodes "riveting," and for once I agree.

Not to give away any bit of this wonderfully plotted series, I can only go with what most people know. Dexter is a troubled, but kind serial killer.

But as played by Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under), Dexter is a serial killer that one would want as a friend and dinner companion.

I experimented a bit, using a PS3 to read the source disc, into a Pioneer 50" Elite plasma monitor, and while viewing cinematographer Romeo Tirone's work on the beautifully shot series, had to continually remind myself that I was NOT viewing high definition.

Shot in HD on Sony / Panavision equipment, with support on 35mm for high speed shots, the show looks every bit HD in most cases.

I seldom highlight a television or cable release, but Dexter is one worth noting, and for the uninitiated, taking the chance of a screening will set you on a quality ride.

Highly Recommended.

RAH

2. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Joe Corey
    It was the surprise series of last season and beat HBO at their game. Showtime was able to construct a show that made you fear for the life of a serial killer. It plays like a novel since the season was based on the book.

They're in the process of shooting season 2. Keith Gordon (who directed the next to last episode) is back down in Miami doing 2 episodes.

Robert, have you had a chance to watch The Wire on HBO? Each season plays like a good crime novel.

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I got a free Showtime sample dvd a few months ago. I watched the Weeds episode, and didn't care for it much. Watched the episode of Dexter, and became hooked instantly. I'm picking this up for sure.

4. Eric Vedowski

Eric Vedowski Second Unit

Eric
    This is a blind buy for me but since so many people have raved about it I can't resist. Got it with a bonus Q&A session from the Museum of Television & Radio included at Target.