What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Deepwater Horizon -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Peter Berg's Deepwater Horizon is a film that reminds the viewer that "big business" can easily lose sight of the people working for them, and in doing so, endanger their lives.

The villain here is oil company BP, and the disaster that ensues is totally man-made, and preventable.

While the film is an unpleasant tale, and uncomfortable entertainment, it serves it's purpose. For the record, Mr. Berg was brought in to complete the film, after J.C. Chandor left the project.

The basic structure returns to the concept of "for the want of a nail...," as small things begin to accumulate, leading to disaster.

As a 4k release, the film looks fine. It appears to be a 2k up-rez, and the HDR added here, seems fine, but ultimately unnecessary.

Audio, in Dolby Atmos places us right in the action.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have the UHD disc on preorder. Figured it would like and sound good, and be a decent popcorn flick. I live on the Gulf of Mexico in areas directly affected, so I'm not taking the movie too seriously, which is my general process with ALL movies. Between work and life, a movie in my HT is pure entertainment.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have the UHD disc on preorder. Figured it would like and sound good, and be a decent popcorn flick. I live on the Gulf of Mexico in areas directly affected, so I'm not taking the movie too seriously, which is my general process with ALL movies. Between work and life, a movie in my HT is pure entertainment.

I think it's best to view "Deepwater" as entertainment first and drama second. It really is a popcorn movie, one in which I don't think we feel the real world impact very well.

That side of it disappoints me somewhat, as the "disaster movie" nature of it threatens to trivialize the real-life catastrophe, but it does "popcorn" so well that I forgive it.

And it's not disrespectful toward those killed in the calamity, of course - it just isn't as serious as I expected...

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
That was probably my point, having gone thru what happened in the area, I just want a popcorn movie. I dont need some powerful emotion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it's best to view "Deepwater" as entertainment first and drama second. It really is a popcorn movie, one in which I don't think we feel the real world impact very well.

That side of it disappoints me somewhat, as the "disaster movie" nature of it threatens to trivialize the real-life catastrophe, but it does "popcorn" so well that I forgive it.

And it's not disrespectful toward those killed in the calamity, of course - it just isn't as serious as I expected...
After viewing this film twice, I don't agree with your take that this film is strictly a popcorn movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The UHD version of Deepwater Horizon will be $19.99 this coming week at Best Buy (starting Sunday, February 12th).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks