What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks so much, Will. Yes, Simon is a desirably necessary element of Nile in order for the triangle story to work, much as Nicholas Clay is in Evil. They cast both of those movies perfectly.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Thanks so much, Will. Yes, Simon is a desirably necessary element of Nile in order for the triangle story to work, much as Nicholas Clay is in Evil. They cast both of those movies perfectly.

Thanks, Matt! For the record, I WAS joking about being a Simon MacCorkindale super fan. While I like him well enough and he's certainly (very very) easy on the eyes, I was making a joke rationalizing how I could possibly buy DEATH ON THE NILE so many times over the years. I guess it didn't land, lol. Sorry! :blush:

So, guys, I apologize but I think I might need to reverse myself from yesterday. While I still think KINO's DEATH ON THE NILE is preferable to the STUDIO CANAL disc, I just can't fully embrace the new EVIL UNDER THE SUN as a replacement for the SC 2017 remaster. I discovered that dropping the gamma on my OLED down to 2.4 for the Studio Canal EVIL corrects the apparent flaws in that one (if I really need to) and watching the entire KINO disc last night I was struck by the "shouldn't be" softness of some of the location work, the oversaturated colors (especially the boosted reds which border on bleeding) and the, to my eyes, weird grain in the background of wide shots. I'm the first to admit that I don't always know "film grain" from "fake grain" but something about this doesn't feel right. The picture is gorgeous in closeups but gets somewhat messy when it pulls back any distance. For lack of a better explanation, it sometimes, though not always, feels as though I'm watching an upscaled DVD, and the initial shot of the island is inexplicably smeary (it's sharp. detailed and grainy on the 2017 disc.) I was never NOT aware that I was watching it on home video.

On a minor note, the KINO disc has a different framing than the Studio Canal as well. The bottom is cropped and there's more headroom so the display area sits lower in the frame.

People will have to decide for themselves, but I think I'm personally going to stick with with the brighter 2017 remaster for it's less saturated but punchier colors (blues, greens, purples and non-blooming reds) and sharper backgrounds. It may not be perfect but it's much more pleasant, IMO.

Thanks to everyone for indulging me.

Last edited:

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
I would choose Nicholas Clay over Simon MacCorkindale -- not only because I think he's better-looking, but because he was kind and generous enough to spend several scenes in that tight, revealing black Speedo. YUMMY!!!

By the way, I would also like to see a Blu-ray release of another Ustinov-as-Poirot title, 1987's Appointment with Death.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, several of us have elsewhere made requests for Appointment with Death. Seems like the Kino Insider told us it was under Warners' care at the moment. It can't hold a candle quality-wise with these EMI Poirots, but I'd still love to have a Blu-ray of it in my collection. I only have it in an open matte laserdisc.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I finally watched the trailer for the new Kenneth Branagh movie. Quite frankly it looks like a mess but I have no doubt I will see it because, apparently, Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French are playing the Bette Davis and Maggie Smith characters! How genius is that??

vlcsnap-2020-09-02-23h57m10s763.png

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I finally watched the trailer for the new Kenneth Branagh movie. Quite frankly it looks like a mess but I have no doubt I will see it because, apparently, Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French are playing the Bette Davis and Maggie Smith characters! How genius is that??

I love "in-joke" casting like that. My all-time favorite is the 1983 Broadway revival of Kaufman and Hart's YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, which starred Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love "in-joke" casting like that. My all-time favorite is the 1983 Broadway revival of Kaufman and Hart's YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, which starred Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor.
I have to confess I don’t get the joke.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Yes, I saw Green Acres. But the two actresses that were mentioned, I don’t get the joke in reference to them. Makes “it went over my head gesture.”

They're a very beloved British comedy team who have worked together since the late 70's. They've worked on TV together in the FRENCH AND SAUNDERS TV shows and are also famous for solo projects ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS (Saunders) and THE VICAR OF DIBLEY (French)

Think ABBOTT & COSTELLO only modern, British, and female.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, they are a comedy team. I did not know that. Like Albert and Gabor. It’s a wink, wink, nudge, nudge casting choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks