1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Days of Heaven -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

had the same experience. projected 110". turned it off after 30 minutes. so many forcefields, eyes hurting.

had the cinematography not been so full of optimal edge enhancement moments, it might have fared better.

To whoever was responsible for this transfer - rubbish work. cheers !

on the plus side, can you even begin to imagine the disaster this could have been if universal released this. they may have even surpassed their sistine chapel of transfers, "Out of Africa". i don't even like to think about that.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I'll revisit this when I have a moment.

3. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

Don't expect anything BAD. We are talking the finer points of what separates reference from (very) good.

4. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

I mentioned the EE when this came out and was told by some here that is wasn't EE at all, but an effect of shooting at "magic hour". Sure looked like EE to me, but what do I know? It wasn't there a lot, just a few scenes, and the rest of the film looks great. I would love to know if it is in fact EE or something else.

5. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Agree with Michel. We're not talking the original Blu-ray of GoNY here, just something that is frustratingly less-than-perfect as it could have been, and for no good reason that I can discern.

Vincent

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

The fine people at Criterion seem to be reasonably accessible via email. One of you should pointedly ask why it was allowed. They should know that people who do care, are watching and noticing.

7. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'm 100% confident it's in the actual photography.

8. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Yup, go take a look at Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm, you'll see the same kind of "ringing" halo around Lawrence whenever there's a shot looking up at him against the sky, usually when the light source was behind him (though not in frame).

9. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

Looking at the screen-shots here- http://www.hundland.org/hd/d/d.htm#daysofheaven- I'm now inclined to agree with you and Brandon and retract my initial impression that what I was seeing was electronic EE. The "halos" do not look electronic at all in these shots, it definitely has the appearance of a lens/light issue on the original film in high-contrast areas caused by the use of backlighting. I'm guessing that some display chains exaggerate the halos and make them look like electronic EE when in fact they are not that at all.

Vincent