What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Date Night -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
"To the right, always to the right. Never to the left. Forever to the right." - 1776

While Date Night is a beautiful Blu-ray, I was obviously expecting more of it as a film. As it stands, in its extended version, Date Night is a decent comedy, with as its centerpiece two of the more highly rated comedic actors trying their best to be funny.

My take is that it just didn't work.

That aside, the DI used to create this Blu-ray has a most interesting look, with mid-tones seemingly held down to give it a most unique look. That I liked.

Something that kept popping into my mind as I was viewing is that every shot of Tiny Fey was taken from her better side, from the right, and it eventually became rote.

A very nice looking Blu-ray which I'm certain will be a treat for fans of Mr. Carell and Ms. Fey.

RAH

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If ever there was a movie that didn't need an extended cut, it was this one. The theatrical cut was just right, and pacing is essential to a comedy. For all of that, I enjoyed it very much in theaters but have no real desire to go out and add it to my collection.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Adam,

If I understand correctly, the retail BD comes w/ both versions, so no need to avoid it, if you liked the theatrical cut.

FWIW, the rental (exclusive?) version I got from Blockbuster Online *only* had the theatrical cut (or so I assume since I didn't doublecheck to make sure).

I thought the movie was alright and fun enough to watch w/ the wife, but nothing special.

RE: the look of the "film", MattH mentioned that this was actually shot on HD video, and I did notice that it had a video look to it, especially in some of the faster moving/cutting sequences besides the seemingly un-film-like image tonality (that RAH mentioned).

_Man_

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I had no intentions of buying it either way, as fond as I was of it, but that's good to know, Man. Any time there's an extended cut, they should throw the theatrical cut in for good measure.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong

Adam,

If I understand correctly, the retail BD comes w/ both versions, so no need to avoid it, if you liked the theatrical cut.

FWIW, the rental (exclusive?) version I got from Blockbuster Online *only* had the theatrical cut (or so I assume since I didn't doublecheck to make sure).

I thought the movie was alright and fun enough to watch w/ the wife, but nothing special.

RE: the look of the "film", MattH mentioned that this was actually shot on HD video, and I did notice that it had a video look to it, especially in some of the faster moving/cutting sequences besides the seemingly un-film-like image tonality (that RAH mentioned).

_Man_

And as I also mentioned in my review (can be accessed using the "Related Forum Threads" link at the right), the theatrical version is the only version that offers the disc's audio commentary or BD-Live "Look It Up" feature.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the rental version on blu is only the theatrical, and is one of those exclusives that has no extras at all.I

thought something looked unusual about the film when I watched it with my wife the other day. I thought it was just a bad transfer.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The same could be said for Barbra Streisand in "What's, Up Doc?" (except I think it was her left), but I only noticed it while watching it with the director's commentary after Bogdonavich mentiond that she favored that profile. If you are being entertained by the movie, you do not notice things like that. If you are bored, on the other hand...

Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Something that kept popping into my mind as I was viewing is that every shot of Tiny Fey was taken from her better side, from the right, and it eventually became rote.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wanted this film to be a whole lot better. I thought the premise was great...but the execution (of script) was poor.

The best part, I thought, was the outtakes tucked into the closing credits at the very end. Since they don't appear onscreen immediately, the rest of the audience had already filed out at the showing my wife and I attended (our own date night--which, unfortunately, was not nearly as exciting as Carrell & Fey's characters). The multiple takes of them trying to gain entrance to the exclusive restaurant as fashionable Europeans were hysterical.

Not sure that I'll be bothering to add this to the collection. I still want to like it but I doubt "extending" it is going to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks