What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Das Boot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Extraordinary film, brought to Blu-ray in typical extremely high end Columbia standards.

Everyone who enjoys cinema should have a copy of this.

The Blu-ray is perfect in every way.

Highly Recommended.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I agree that this is an astounding film and Blu-ray. I think the disc has gotten a bad rap on image quality, since the encode must have been a nightmare with all the smoke-filled shots in the sub. There's an incredible amount of detail in the picture and the audio will rattle the pictures off the wall. Incredible.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I thought it was great too, especially the German soundtrack. The English track wasn't nearly as good, with different sound effects and a rudimentary sound mix. That's OK though. I can read subtitles.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Always found viewing foreign films without original tracks unappealing.

TheHutt

Agent
Real Name
Peter
Are the English subtitles actually accurate translation of the German language or rather dubtitles of the English dub?

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by TheHutt

Are the English subtitles actually accurate translation of the German language or rather dubtitles of the English dub?

The English subtitles appear accurate, but the English language track seems "sanitized." Not sure if this was done for television or if it was a filmmaker choice. I didn't listen to all of the English track (since I really don't like it) but the 30 or so minutes I did sample was definitely more family oriented. Just listen to the English track during the opening bar scene and you will hear what I mean.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
The blu looks better than I remember it looking in the theatre many years ago, while still looking very much like film. I'm also very glad that they included the theatrical edit - while I like both the extended director's cut and the mini-series version, I still feel that the theatrical cut is superior.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I never saw Das Boot theatrically; I don't even remember seeing it advertised in 1981. My first experience was on DVD and I was very impressed. I love movies that offer a new perspective on a common theme (WWII). Seeing it from the German perspective is very interesting and entertaining.

Regarding the DC vs theatrical, I personally prefer the director's cut. It's long, yes, but I just like the pacing and the longer stretches of time where nothing happens, since I feel like I can better get into the mindset of the characters that way. I re-sampled pieces of the theatrical version recently and it kind of solidified my opinion. I particularly didn't like how the opening credits were rolling over the opening bar sequence. That just seemed kind of pushing it due to time constraints.

Also, Das Boot is a perfect example of a movie that I do not believe would be the same with CGI. As time goes on, I am becoming more and more of a fan of traditional effects. People say it can look fake, but so can CGI! There's something about the movement of real water that just can't be perfectly re-created on a computer in my view. Even though a lot of Das Boot's effects work was done with models and in small tanks, it still has a "real" quality to it I find very appealing.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
The English subtitles are discussed in my review. Noticeably sanitized in places.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/312729/das-boot-2-disc-collector-s-set-blu-ray

One of the greatest war films ever made. As Mr. Harris says, Sony has given it the treatment it deserves.

Jeeva

Auditioning
Real Name
Randy van Rijn
Cinescott said:
Also, Das Boot is a perfect example of a movie that I do not believe would be the same with CGI. As time goes on, I am becoming more and more of a fan of traditional effects. People say it can look fake, but so can CGI! There's something about the movement of real water that just can't be perfectly re-created on a computer in my view. Even though a lot of Das Boot's effects work was done with models and in small tanks, it still has a "real" quality to it I find very appealing.
I totally agree... I almost always prefer old school effects over modern CGI. A mix of the two can work very well though... Wasn't the model of the submarine from 'Das Boot' also used for 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark'? I think I remember Spielberg mentioning it in a documentary somewhere.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Jeeva
Wasn't the model of the submarine from 'Das Boot' also used for 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark'? I think I remember Spielberg mentioning it in a documentary somewhere.

Wolfgang Peterson mentions this in the commentary. Steven Spielberg used the full size "model" of the U-boat in La Rochelle, France for Raiders at the same time that the Das Boot crew was there filming. The running joke was that the Raiders crew wrecked the sub and the German crew had to keep patching it together every day thereafter. In fact, the installation used at the beginning of Das Boot where all the subs are being prepped for battle is in Raiders as well, when Harrison Ford tries to fit into a too-small Nazi uniform and Belloq is getting the Ark ready for transport to Berlin. It was (and is) a real Nazi-built structure from World War II.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks