What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Darkest Hour -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
According to IMDb, Joe Wright's Darkest Hour was shot with an Alexa Mini in both 3.2 and 3.4 resolutions, and finished as a 3.2 DI.

One would presume, accepting the data as correct, that this is the reason why Darkest Hour looks superior to its 1920 Blu-ray counterpart.

That noted, it's a pity that the 4k release arrived four months after the Blu, as the 4k is the way to go.

Wonderful film, as noted in my earlier words, but as the original Blu-ray is encoded with Dolby Atmos, and up-rezzes beautifully, not worth the upgrade, unless one is a 4k collector.

For those who may not yet be familiar with the work of Mr. Wright. You should be embarrassed.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Upgrade from Blu-ray - no

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Reactions: PMF

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Sounds great. Will we get a review soon of Universal's recent blu ray of FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS?

Ahab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hal Friederichs
Fun movie. Gary Oldman hit it out of the park for his portrayal of Churchill.

Antony Beevor had some rather critical remarks regarding the film's historical accuracy:

"Darkest Hour had even more historical inaccuracies. Gary Oldman fully deserved the best actor Oscar for his brilliant performance as Churchill, but those responsible for the script get “nul points”. I fear that anyone who agrees to be a historical adviser for a movie is putting their reputation on the line. The ludicrous scene of Churchill in the underground (where he had never set foot in his life) was not the only howler.

On becoming prime minister in 1940, Churchill remained in the Admiralty, but he generously allowed Chamberlain to carry on in Downing Street. His respectful treatment of his former leader is important because – when it came to the crunch with Lord Halifax, over the question of asking the Italians to discover Hitler’s peace terms – Chamberlain supported Churchill and did not plot against him as the film suggests.

Also, why were so many scenes shot in the bunker war rooms when the Luftwaffe had not yet bombed London? I was so irritated, it was a good thing I saw it on my own. Another visit to the dentist, I fear."

The above from a rather amusing article in which he critiques some other well known war movies:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...atest-war-movie-ever-and-the-ones-i-cant-bear

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks