What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Daddy Long Legs -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'll generally watch anything with Fred Astaire.

Throughout his extraordinary career, he was featured in about thirty musical films, and that fact that probably two-thirds of those have beautifully stood the test of time (some after 80 years), is both a testament to the overall quality of the films, as to Mr. Astaire as a consummate performer.

While I applaud Kino Lorber's release of his 1955 CinemaScope Daddy Long Legs, co-starring a Leslie Caron, who appears to look oddly unlike she did in Gigi, it doesn't fall into that highly touted "stood the test of time" category.

The more I think about Ms Caron's slightly chunky look in the film, the more I believe it may be at least partially caused by the odd anamorphics of the scope optics, but regardless...

Fox's CinemaScope HD master does a nice job of reproducing the original look of the film, along with a stereo track, that I'm not certain is original to the film. I did note that positioning of audio within the imaginary proscenium is a bit odd at times, with characters occasionally speaking, with their voices off screen to the sides.

Colors appear a bit weak at times, which I presume is just a bit of fade showing through, along with the makeup of the time, but generally the transfer is a pleasing affair, with good resolution, and grain structure.

For those who rely on liner notes, be aware that the film was not produced in 1972, nor is it in 1.85 aspect ratio. The film also runs a bit on the long side, at 126 minutes, and not the noted 91.

Regardless of typos, a quality affair from Fox via Kino Lorber.

As an aside, and from a historical perspective, the 1955 version of Daddy Long Legs is actually a musical re-make of a re-make.

The story first appeared in 1919, as a Mary Pickford vehicle, opposite Mahlon Hamilton, and then again as a sound film, in 1931 with Janet Gaynor in the lead, and Warner Baxter as the odd Mr. Pendleton.

Image - 4

Audio - 3.5

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Wow. That's a lot of typos
This gives me cause to wonder whether whoever at Kino Lorber was responsible for the liner notes accidentally transposed those from another title?

Be on the lookout for a future Kino Lorber release of a film made in 1972 with the DADDY LONG LEGS (1955) specs! ;)

CHEERS! :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This gives me cause to wonder whether whoever at Kino Lorber was responsible for the liner notes accidentally transposed those from another title?

Be on the lookout for a future Kino Lorber release of a film made in 1972 with the DADDY LONG LEGS (1955) specs! ;)

CHEERS! :)

One would presume that they cut and paste format, which is normal.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wow! I've seen all 3 versions of this story on the big screen. I'm pretty certain that I saw the Pickford in 35mm; the Gaynor I saw in 16mm; the Astaire I saw for the first time during its original run. All 3 are quite charming; none offensive.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Astaire is quite good here, but he doesn't pair well with Caron whose stiff dancing is a far cry from someone like Cyd Charisse. It also doesn't help that she's saddled with a very unflattering helmet-like hairstyle that widens her already round face.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
"Something's Gotta Give" is worth the price of admission - as are the Alex North composed ballet sequences. Caron gorgeously glides with Astaire, giving the story in this version a sleazy underbelly, that's only enhanced by the sumptuous Fox look under Negulesco's direction.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As an aside, and from a historical perspective, the 1955 version of Daddy Long Legs is actually a musical re-make of a re-make.
The story first appeared in 1919, as a Mary Pickford vehicle [...]
RAH
It's a shame they didn't have sound in 1919; what a waste of Ms. Pickford's singing talents.:D

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For the record, it's Vita-l that you know I was joking.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I love Kino Lorber for all the great vintage titles they put out, but it frustrates me to no end that they have yet again down-mixed a soundtrack that was discrete 4.0 on the DVD to 2.0 on the Blu-ray.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I love Kino Lorber for all the great vintage titles they put out, but it frustrates me to no end that they have yet again down-mixed a soundtrack that was discrete 4.0 on the DVD to 2.0 on the Blu-ray.
I have always been of the belief that anything that is considered "discrete" should not be spoken of publically.:lol:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
For the record, it's Vita-l that you know I was joking.
Sounds good to my ears ... some people don't know there was sound before The Jazz Singer or color before Techni ;) !

Reactions: PMF

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

Why am I not surprised this has happened? When this title, and other CinemaScope 4-track titles, was announced on the Kino thread, I stated the following:

".......If 2.0 is what is on the HD master. It is very important that Kino has to specifically request the 4-track to ensure that will be on the master they receive......."

If Kino don't want to take this advice, fine. Just don't expect a sale from me.

There is no guarantee the other future Kino 'Scope releases will have the correct audio, unless the 4.0 is already on the HD master.

We're ahead with multi-channel enabled hardware, but we are badly let down when it comes to software. Unless the 4.0 audio is lost or damaged, there is simply no excuse for it not to be on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks