1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Criminal -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Criminal is a typical product of Millennium Films, via Summit (Lionsgate), which means that it's a quality film, produced with a well thought-out ethic, for funding via foreign sales, with top names, usually no longer in their absolute prime -- but still very capable -- and usually showing more dollars on screen than one might expect.

Think The Expendables series.

In the case of Criminal, Ariel Vromen is at the helm. A relatively new Israeli filmmaker, educated at NYU and LA Film School, with a UK law degree.

Shot in the UK, the major names attached are Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman and Tommy Lee Jones, with Gal Gadot thrown in good measure, along with an uncredited Ryan Reynolds. I know I recognized him from somewhere.

An interesting premise, kicks off a very interesting performance from Mr. Costner, who as part of his character has picked up grunt-like sounds previously used by Billy Bob Thornton.

All in all, an interesting tale, and a good way to spend a couple of hours.

The film was shot on an Alexa, and combined as a 2k DI in Bulgaria.

The resultant 4k UHD release mit HDR works beautifully (although on my system, with Samsung and Sony still at war, I was advised that since I did not have 4k availability, the image was being run in HD). That's not what my eyes were telling me, as the imagery was highly resolved, although obviously up-rezzed.

Audio is huge DTS-HD MA.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Bernard McNair likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yeah, I enjoyed this film during my theatrical experience this past year. I didn't buy the 4K release, but did purchase the Blu-ray.

3. DavidMiller

DavidMiller Screenwriter

David Miller
    Thanks for the info I was wondering about this one.