What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cover Girl -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I love this underrated film. Great performances by the three principals and Long Ago (and Far Away) is simply one of the best songs in a musical film. Probably a minority view but I much prefer Cover Girl to Singing in the Rain and The Band Wagon. On my list it would be third after Three Little Words and High Society.

ThadK

Second Unit
The 35mm I saw was pretty beat splice-wise in some parts. It actually helped the film because it trimmed some of Phil Silvers's bits. (I agree with Leonard Maltin—Eve Arden was funnier here.) But I do dearly love it and think it's probably the first truly important Hollywood musical.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
ThadK said:
The 35mm I saw was pretty beat splice-wise in some parts. It actually helped the film because it trimmed some of Phil Silvers's bits. (I agree with Leonard Maltin—Eve Arden was funnier here.) But I do dearly love it and think it's probably the first truly important Hollywood musical.
I'm curious what you mean by 'first truly important'.It followed Busby Berkeley. It followed Astaire-RogersIt followed The Wizard Of OzIt followed Disney's Snow White / Pinocchio / Fantasia

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
David Weicker said:
I'm curious what you mean by 'first truly important'.It followed Busby Berkeley.It followed Astaire-RogersIt followed The Wizard Of OzIt followed Disney's Snow White / Pinocchio / Fantasia
Not to mention such pre-code gems as The Love Parade, Monte Carlo and Love Me Tonight and the many glorious if lightweight Fox musicals. I love Cover Girl as well as anyone, but it's far from the "first truly important" Hollywood musical. That honor may go to The Jazz Singer.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I watched this without knowing the the transfer was sub par, and didn't notice it while watching the movie, so ignorance is bliss I guess. The main thing on my mind was being aware that I didn't like the movie as much as I was hoping to, but part if it could have been due to not being in the mood for a hokey musical.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Keith Cobby said:
I love this underrated film. Great performances by the three principals and Long Ago (and Far Away) is simply one of the best songs in a musical film. Probably a minority view but I much prefer Cover Girl to Singing in the Rain and The Band Wagon. On my list it would be third after Three Little Words and High Society.
Do you mean of all Hollywood musicals?! I would definitely rank THREE LITTLE WORDS and HIGH SOCIETY higher than SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, which gets my vote for most overrated motion picture in history. It's a fine film and certainly entertaining, but the greatest musical is just a ridiculous label to my mind. None of them would be in my top 5. As for COVER GIRL, it's just too long since I've seen it. However, the fact that it's been so long generally means I wasn't compelled to ever see it, again. Although this thread has made me want to see it, again.

ThadK

Second Unit
... My haste hath cause me to flummox myself. Sorry.

Most of the film histories acknowledge "Cover Girl" is the "first truly important" of the new type of Hollywood musicals, the ones that actively weaved lavish, over-the-top numbers into the actual narrative and plot, rather than simply be show-stoppers for their own sakes. It wasn't the first important one period. All that crap.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have both versions (TT and Eureka). As the Eureka's one is sourced from Sony's new 4K restoration, it looks gorgeous (with very saturated colors), way better than the already sold out version released by TT (that looks very good, by the way).

I have the TT as well. It looks great. Is the Eureka version region locked?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe Eureka is Region B locked. I hope Mr. Harris will have the opportunity to view the new edition of "Cover Girl" to let us know how close it comes to real 3 strip Technicolor vintage 1944.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe Eureka is Region B locked. I hope Mr. Harris will have the opportunity to view the new edition of "Cover Girl" to let us know how close it comes to real 3 strip Technicolor vintage 1944.

It won't. Pretty, though. Complex.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for your prompt response. I guess Sony was able improve on the Twilight Time version and made it look pretty but first or second generation elements no longer exist or it was made to look good for modern tastes rather than replicate what it looked like in 1944.

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
While I completely agreed with Mr. Harris' opinion and ratings for the older TT disc, I was knocked out by the quality of this new scan which is derived from a 4k remaster from Grover Crisp's team,, and I can add it uprezzes to a 4k/HDR (oppo 203) player and screen (Panny 900 premium series OLED) with great dexterity. I fear Mr.Harris cryptic comment here leaves me puzzled.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
The question had been how this would look in comparison to the original 3-strip.

I believe RAH was simply stating that it won't compare... or can't ...or maybe that it's impossible to know given the lack of OCN & answer prints - but that it looks very good nonetheless.

[My comment reminds me of the outskirts of the Mount of Olives, with followers postulating that the Messiah symbolically intended that all manufacturers of dairy products were blessed.]

Last edited:

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd be curious to hear from Grover Crisp & Co. as to what happened here. I don't go by screencaps generally, but the skin tones in this are very brown, and it looks very contrasty, like it was transferred from an Eastmancolor element derived from an IB tech print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks