What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cloverfield & 10 Cloverfield Lane -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Cloverfield (2008), and 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), are a pair of High-Concept horror/thrillers, from Matt Reeves and Dan Trachtenberg (via J.J. Abrams), and they're both fun.

My personal preference is the Lane variant.

The first was shot HD, which means that up-rezzing to 4k will allow viewers to see the details on a monster's tentacles from at least half a mile away. Pretty cool!

10 was shot as data, and looks pretty much the same in 4k as it does on Blu-ray.

Of course, the release of these two exceptionally high-end, highly resolved productions is all prelude to the Netflix release of the appropriately entitled, The Cloverfield Paradox, which strangely, was shot on fillum, and finalized as a DI, sporting Dolby Vision and HDR10, yielding a production of which rogerebert.com's Matt Zoller Seitz noted: "The Cloverfield Paradox" is a bit of a scam job, promising to reconcile entries in a series that have little in common save for a shared genre. It fizzles so badly at the end that you might legitimately wonder if it ever had anything to do with the other two films in the first place, or if it was produced independently of the series and retroactively added."

The important thing to keep in mind, here, is not the quality of the third film, but that Paramount is able to release two totally unnecessary 4k Blu-rays into the wild.

I'd trade all three for a nice 4k of The Court Jester.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 - Cloverfield (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)
10 Cloverfield Lane (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Cloverfield - Seriously?
10 Cloverfield Lane - No

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryC0123

Grip
Real Name
Larry Carlson
Cloverfield (2008), and 10 Cloverfield Lane (2016), are a pair of High-Concept horror/thrillers, from Matt Reeves and Dan Trachtenberg (via J.J. Abrams), and they're both fun.

My personal preference is the Lane variant.

The first was shot HD, which means that up-rezzing to 4k will allow viewers to see the details on a monster's tentacles from at least half a mile away. Pretty cool!

10 was shot as data, and looks pretty much the same in 4k as it does on Blu-ray.

Of course, the release of these two exceptionally high-end, highly resolved productions is all prelude to the Netflix release of the appropriately entitled, The Cloverfield Paradox, which strangely, was shot on fillum, and finalized as a DI, sporting Dolby Vision and HDR10, yielding a production of which rogerebert.com's Matt Zoller Seitz noted: "The Cloverfield Paradox" is a bit of a scam job, promising to reconcile entries in a series that have little in common save for a shared genre. It fizzles so badly at the end that you might legitimately wonder if it ever had anything to do with the other two films in the first place, or if it was produced independently of the series and retroactively added."

The important thing to keep in mind, here, is not the quality of the third film, but that Paramount is able to release two totally unnecessary 4k Blu-rays into the wild.

I'd trade all three for a nice 4k of The Court Jester.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 - Cloverfield (Dolby TrueHD 5.1)
10 Cloverfield Lane (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail - Pass

10 Cloverfield Lane - No

RAH
Ah, The Court Jester. One of my favorite memories is the first time I showed my then-eight year old daughter that movie. There were scenes where I had to pause the VHS tape because she was laughing so hard that she was going to miss the next line. I was laughing pretty hard too despite having watched it dozen times already. I too would buy this in an instant to replace my DVD. Studios, let’s get this one out NOW. Get it? Got it! Good!

alter filmnarr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gerhard
...or how about watchable "Hatari!" disc? Even a nowadays "humble" BD would make me perfectly happy!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

10 Cloverfield Lane - No
I'm one of those guys who doesn't always get the joke or the reference. From these two quotes I don't get whether you think the Cloverfield 4K is an upgrade from the blu-ray or not. I'm leaning towards you don't think the 4K is an upgrade.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm one of those guys who doesn't always get the joke or the reference. From these two quotes I don't get whether you think the Cloverfield 4K is an upgrade from the blu-ray or not. I'm leaning towards you don't think the 4K is an upgrade.

If one were to purchase 500 pounds of coal

And have all of your friends join you, for the day, jumping on it

At the end of the day, would you have a diamond?

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Well, speaking for these two movies I got a nice little increase in PQ on both UHDs, for despite Cloverfield having been shot HD it was lensed on such cameras as the Viper and the Sony F23, not just some rinky-dink Panasonic camcorder, and it looks surprisingly classy at times. The UHD brings back a nice amount of texture and dynamic range, enough to have made the UHD a worthwhile step up and as for 10CL as soon as I started watching it I was like "yep, that lighting behind MEW is gonna be blown out to fuck on the BD", and so it proved, along with a genuine uptick in spatial detail. This is where having a ZD9 kinda helps with the whole HDR thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks