1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cleopatra (UK) -- in Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Mar 5, 2012.

1. benbess

benbess Cinematographer

Ben
    Is anyone here aware of a screenplay of Cleopatra online?

2. usrunnr

usrunnr Stunt Coordinator

usrunnr
    Is there a comparison on HTF of the UK 'Cleopatra' and the US 'Cleopatra'? Thank you.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Not from me. I reviewed the US Cleopatra for HTF, but I didn't have the UK version with which to do an A/B comparison. I certainly would have compared them if I had had both.

4. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I compared both and PQ seemed to be the same.
    I was not interested in much else so I could not comment on soundtracks or extras.

5. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    There used to be....but the link is not there anymore.

6. Message #86 of 89 Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Second Unit

Sean
    The only significant difference was the incorrect placement of the Intermission/Entr'acte on the UK release was fixed for the US release.

I've got an extensive archive of Cleopatra script material that I've been amassing over the last few years, thanks to the Walter Wanger papers at the University of Wisconsin, the Rouben Mamoulian papers at the Library of Congress, UCLA, and the occasional online auction. I can't share any of these materials, unfortunately, but here is the closest thing to reading the shooting script, from the Trivette Tribute to Elizabeth Taylor: http://www.elizabethtaylorthelegend.com/Elizabeth%20Taylor%20-%20Restored%20Cleopatra%20Main%20Page.html

7. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I did not even notice that, I just switched back and forth between the two first discs on two identically set up players and could not see a difference - I never got to the second discs.
    And thanks for pointing out the issue with the intermission/entr'acte as I had forgotten about it, I will probably have to join the two so that I can present it properly for screenings.

Ironically enough I may not ever watch this Blu-ray again except for a few sniplets if this year I am lucky and Cleopatra will be screened at a festival that I am visiting next month. That 70mm print that I saw 12 years ago looked very nice and it is time to rewatch Cleopatra on the big screen.

8. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

But is it the cut 3 hr version or the original one, Oliver?

9. OliverK

OliverK Producer

It would be one of the new Fox prints, they are about the same length as the Blu-ray so a bit more than 4 hours.

Not the intended two-part ca. 6 hours cut of course, as Fox "wisely" dumped the trims in the 70s. If only somebody could have envisioned to use them for a TV miniseries...