What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Cleopatra (1963) - U.S. Release -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Paul Rossen said:
Didn't know that...too bad all around as Monroe was at the top of her 'game' at that time. Lee Remick was also great in her own way...
But instead of Lee Remick we got Doris Day and James Gardner.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
But instead of Lee Remick we got Doris Day and James Gardner.
I know you meant Garner.

I quite like Move Over, Darling, and I think Doris was much more comfortable in a comedy like this than Lee Remick.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matt Hough said:
I know you meant Garner.

I quite like Move Over, Darling, and I think Doris was much more comfortable in a comedy like this than Lee Remick.

You are quite right and MOVE OVER DARLING is one of my favorites. Polly Bergen, Chuck Conners, Don Knotts, Fred Clark and the great Thelma Ritter made up a great cast.

I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Anthonys fall from grace hits you in the gut. His charge on horse toward the army is full of fury. Alex North delievers the moment.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
ahollis said:
.I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.
While the very slight letdown in Act II was evident when watching it at the theater a few months ago, I remained entranced -- as did the audience around me -- with the whole affair, right to the end. And boy, the ending is worth the trip.

Shortly thereafter, with the BD finally in my hands, I watched that great documentary again, marveling more than ever that with everything conspiring against it, the film is such a stunner. I welcome its imperfections.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
moviebuff75 said:
I sent for a replacement copy..same issue. It's the only br that doesn't play in my player.
Sounds like you need to update the firmware for the player. I have to check every six months or so and the only problems I have had were with Fox Blu-rays.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
Sounds like you need to update the firmware for the player. I have to check every six months or so and the only problems I have had were with Fox Blu-rays.
Yes, their discs are heavily copy protected. It sometimes takes a minute or more for a disc to boot up in my Panasonic player.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Matt Hough said:
Yes, their discs are heavily copy protected. It sometimes takes a minute or more for a disc to boot up in my Panasonic player.
FOX discs are the only ones that I have trouble with...Can't play at all FRENCH KISS. Pioneer 320 updated as well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Doug Otte said:
I've realized that I don't care for Mankiewicz's films. I appreciate the literate dialogue, and the wonderful acting, but for some reason his movies bore me. With Cleopatra, the sumptuous visuals kept me going, but I'm not motivated to watch it again.

I've watched Eve twice now, and could barely make it to the end.

I was going to order the Three Letters BD, but now I'll try to watch it beforehand.
A Letter To Three Wives might not make you a Mankiewicz fan but it'll probably make you a Linda Darnell fan! The DVD is pretty good and should cost less than the BRD will.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
ahollis said:
.You are quite right and MOVE OVER DARLING is one of my favorites. Polly Bergen, Chuck Conners, Don Knotts, Fred Clark and the great Thelma Ritter made up a great cast.I guess I'm one of a select few that enjoys the scope and elegance of both acts of CLEOPATRA.
James Garner and Don Knotts were supposed to be co-stars with Monroe but she wanted Dean Martin and Wally Cox.

Panavision70

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick Notch
To spend $40 million to make a movie and have the movie make about $40 million at the box office is not a bomb or a hit. It's just survival.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Robin9 said:
A Letter To Three Wives might not make you a Mankiewicz fan but it'll probably make you a Linda Darnell fan! The DVD is pretty good and should cost less than the BRD will.
No need. I fell in love with her the first time I saw Fallen Angel!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Doug Otte said:
No need. I fell in love with her the first time I saw Fallen Angel!
If you loved her in Fallen Angel, you'll be fascinated by her in A Letter To Three Wives which is an essential movie for all Linda Darnell fans. I strongly advise you to watch it at least once.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Robin9 said:
If you loved her in Fallen Angel, you'll be fascinated by her in A Letter To Three Wives which is an essential movie for all Linda Darnell fans. I strongly advise you to watch it at least once.
Will do. Thanks for the recommendation.

sonomatom1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Martin
RBlenheim: wow! I am a fan of 'Khartoum' but to say that it should have gone to the head of the line in front of 'Cleopatra' is a truly baffling statement. People may complain that 'Cleopatra' is too 'talky', but compared to the gabfest that was 'Khartoum', "Cleopatra' really hums along. Beyond that, the sheer wood-and-plaster spectacle that were the sets of 'Cleopatra' was a testament to the artistry of the set designers/builders of the time - or any time! - and it is something we will never see again.

And while I consider myself pretty literate (boy, am I going out on a limb with this group! ;o) ) with respect to film lore, I've never heard of King Vidor's "The Crowd", so I wonder why it should have jumped in front of 'Cleopatra'. Sorry you didn't enjoy this great, lumbering masterpiece - and for what it is, 'Cleopatra' is a masterpiece.

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
The short way to start a war (pre-interval line from The Alamo) is by comparing favourite films, and it's worth noting that some recent poll somewhere has classed THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK as the greatest ever.

However, our opinions are of course formed by our experience and I can only suggest that Tom Martin would benefit from seeking out and seeing THE CROWD. Regardless of lists of somebody's favourites it's a remarkable picture from 1924 and I've had the privilege of seeing it with live orchestra, as well as many times from video.

There's no comparison with CLEOPATRA as their only similarity is that they're both films but, treading very gently here, allow me to venture that, in terms of cinema history, I believe it to be the greater achievement.

And I'll further risk what happens after the interval in The Alamo by suggesting that you increase your knowledge of film history with a few more of the important Silent Era pictures - not as a penance but as a source of considerable pleasure. Another King Vidor one, THE BIG PARADE, is an appropriate suggestion for D Day.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
"The Crowd" is generally regarded as one the best films King Vidor ever made and one of the greatest of all silent films. It was among the first 25 films added to the United States National Film Registry back in 1989. While there's lots to admire about "Cleopatra", "The Crowd" is a masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks