What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory - Volume 3 (1 Viewer)

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
"An American In Paris" as well as "Gigi" are slatted to appear September-ish on both SD DVD as well as Blue-Ray.

Corey

Screenwriter
Another great set would be:

-An American In Paris SE
-Gigi SE
-Lili
-Rose Marie
-Thousands Cheer
-Broadway Rhythm
-I Dood It
-Yolanda and the Thief
-Small Town Girl
-Invitation to the Dance

Anybody agree with me?

Corey

Screenwriter

I Dood It, Thousands Cheer, and Broadway Rhythm are perfect candidates as they are the last MGM revue musicals that WHV can package, plus they feature Gene Kelly and Judy Garland which are always good sellers.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit

I have that CD set and it's true about the superior sound quality. It's possible also that the separate dialogue and effects tracks no longer exist to remix the entire film.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Remember Warner said that Thank Your Lucky Stars would be one of the 50 remastered new to DVD Warner titlles as part of this year's 85th Celebration.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Remember Warner said that Thank Your Lucky Stars would be one of the 50 remastered new to DVD Warner titlles as part of this year's 85th Celebration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

Absolutely! LOVELY TO LOOK AT, RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY, THE GREAT CARUSO: none of these need to be forgotten when Warners goes to make its next set of musical releases.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

I second the set but I would add Rosalie, Honolulu, Lovely to Look At, Little Nellie Kelly and more Jane Powell movies!

Which movie of Rose Marie are you talking about? If its the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy one I rather have that included in a set of their movies only!

Sort of off topic but isn't this the year we are supposed to get the Show Boat box set?

Marco S

Stunt Coordinator
Watched KISMET. It was pleasant. First time I saw it WS with stereophonic sound. Color was bright and vivid, but a little soft focus at times. Would look great on blu ray. Then I go to the special features to watch the CinemaScope short "Battle of Gettysburg". It was not anamorphic!!! What happened WB? Another disappointment.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Would LOVE to see all the previously mentioned MGM musicals on DVD, plus those:

Luxury Liner
More Esther Williams (in a set devoted to her or in a Classic Musicals set)
Seven Sweethearts
Ten Thousand Bedrooms
Two Sisters from Boston
Merry Andrew

Corey

Screenwriter
Well I wouldn't mind a June Allyson double feature with Two Girls and A Sailor and Two Sisters From Boston. I guess 2 musical sets per year would make sense since there are so many of them.

I hope we'll see another Esther Williams set, too, since the 1st one sold well.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
They could couple THE STUDENT PRINCE (1954) with ROSE MARIE, and maybe include the silent STUDENT PRINCE OF HEIDELBERG as a special treat.

Hey...on another topic...anyone watched DEEP IN MY HEART yet? The effects track seems pretty loud during the musical numbers.
Listen to the footsteps during the "Mr and Mrs Song"...they are really loud...i don't remember that from the mono track...but, again, it could just be me.

Corey

Screenwriter
Ok let me revise it. WHV can sell the special editions of Gigi and An American In Paris outside of the set like the Elvis films and the new set can have all new to dvd films:

-Two Girls and A Sailor & Two Sisters From Boston
-I Dood It & Thousands Cheer
-Invitation to the Dance
-Small Town Girl & Lovely to Look At
-The Student Prince & Rose Marie
-Broadway Rhythm
-Yolanda and the Thief

....So many to choose from, but I know WHV will release them eventually.

Daniel BARBIEUX

Stunt Coordinator

Let's not forget the Marge & Gower Champion musicals. They supported spots in "Show Boat" and "Lovely to look at" but they also did "Give a girl a break" and "Everything I have is yours". A brilliant married dance team during the fifties and I think their films were enjoyable entertainment.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I want all the movies mentioned above but what about Meet Me In Las Vegas? Surely I am not the only person who wants this on DVD? The Frankie And Johnny number is one the of the truly great dance numbers and one of Cyd Charisse's finest moments.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well I hadn't forgot them, but I'm not sure if WHV will put 12 films in their next set, but hopefully they make it an even 10 instead 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks