What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Chisum -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Andrew V. McLaglen (son of Victor), worked on about as many John Wayne productions, assistant directing and later directing that anyone I can think of, except possibly John Ford, but I'll let the readers research that.

Chisum is typical early 1970s Wayne western, but it works. The standout is the location photography by William Clothier.

The Blu, from Warner Bros. looks generally fine, with no apparent problems.

A safe bet for Wayne fans.

Image - 4.25

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Silly movie, with second rate actors (besides Wayne and Ben Johnson), but I'll still get it. Definitely a bottom tier Duke film, with lazy story writing and direction. The best thing of this film is the fight between Wayne and Tucker, and even that is pretty laughable with the obvious stunt doubles.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Silly movie, with second rate actors (besides Wayne and Ben Johnson), but I'll still get it. Definitely a bottom tier Duke film, with lazy story writing and direction. The best thing of this film is the fight between Wayne and Tucker, and even that is pretty laughable with the obvious stunt doubles.
I apparently like this movie WAY more than you do. It is quite enjoyable and entertaining to me. I used to have a 16mm IB Tech print which I will always remember as well. Looking forward to the Blu-ray this Tuesday!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I apparently like this movie WAY more than you do. It is quite enjoyable and entertaining to me. I used to have a 16mm IB Tech print which I will always remember as well. Looking forward to the Blu-ray this Tuesday!

No problem there. I'm a huge fan of "The Conqueror", and most people hate that film. To each his own. Glad we are able to discuss our likes and dislikes here.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

I like Chisum too, and I always have done. I saw it when it first came out. I enjoyed it then and I enjoy it still. I have this Blu-ray disc on order and I'm waiting impatiently!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
John, at the risk of going off-topic, you were kind enough, a few years ago, to confirm that the German BR "Man Without a Star" was not region-locked. I have it, but as far as I can tell, a standard-DVD domestic release, *today*, has flown almost completely under the radar. If a listing @ Amazon is correct (through the Digital Bits weekly release pages), a Kirk Douglas Centennial Collection was released today. The collection also includes The List of Adrian Messenger, which - again, as far as I can tell, has only been issued previously as a MOD.

I'm going to pick this set up!

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of this film, I will say Warner's transfer is drop-dead gorgeous. The beautiful image made this viewing experience the best I could ever hope to enjoy Chisum. I could actually see Chuck Roberson as John Wayne's double even more clearly, and in more shots than I've ever seen him prior. Knowing the many years of friendship between these two men, seeing that (and of course Ben Johnson), was the highlight of the film for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yesterday, I watched my BD of it and it looked great compared to previous home video releases of it. This film isn't among the best Wayne films, but it's entertaining.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
I finally watched Chisum on Blu-Ray last night. I thought the Blu Ray video and audio was outstanding! I really enjoyed Chisum! While Chisum is not among my Top Ten Wayne movies, it is a movie I like a lot! Thank you Warner for the outstanding job!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks