What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Chinatown-- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I see Chinatown is being released again. It has new cover but does anyone have any information on whether this is a new scan? The low price makes me doubt it. There was room for improvement, last time round. The older version (at twice the price) hasn't gone out of print.

https://www.amazon.com/Chinatown-Bl...=1491743765&sr=8-1&keywords=chinatown+blu+ray
With their distribution deal with Warner expired, Paramount is releasing a bunch of their catalog titles over the next couple of months. Titles such as Shane, The Untouchables, the three Godfather films and Terms of Endearment to name a few. Perhaps, some of them will be derived from new scans like Saturday Night Fever, but something tells me most won't be in that category.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
With their distribution deal with Warner expired, Paramount is releasing a bunch of their catalog titles over the next couple of months. Titles such as Shane, The Untouchables, the three Godfather films and Terms of Endearment to name a few. Perhaps, some of them will be derived from new scans like Saturday Night Fever, but something tells me most won't be in that category.
Thank you for the information. I wondered a bit, when I saw that Amazon had written "restored" in the "Format" line. The price is so low, maybe I'll take a chance and check it out, when it is released.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for the information. I wondered a bit, when I saw that Amazon had written "restored" in the "Format" line. The price is so low, maybe I'll take a chance and check it out, when it is released.
Like I stated, perhaps, Chinatown is one of those titles derived from new scans.

Mark VH

Second Unit
There's a new 4K restoration that's been playing theatrically. Not sure if this is the one that's on iTunes, but there's definitely a restoration out there. Really hoping Criterion is able to grab it at some point since they've released a lot of Polanskis and Blu-ray clearly isn't among Paramount's priorities these days.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There's a new 4K restoration that's been playing theatrically. Not sure if this is the one that's on iTunes, but there's definitely a restoration out there. Really hoping Criterion is able to grab it at some point since they've released a lot of Polanskis and Blu-ray clearly isn't among Paramount's priorities these days.
There is little doubt that's where this 4K/Dolby Vision Digital is derived from.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just noticed that this is now available in 4K HDR on iTunes.
I, for one, love the fact that Paramount is going straight to digital for the 4K editions of some of their catalog fare. If physical media is not viable for catalog titles, then by all means use the digital platform to get these classics out in 4K. Better that than nothing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I, for one, love the fact that Paramount is going straight to digital for the 4K editions of some of their catalog fare. If physical media is not viable for catalog titles, then by all means use the digital platform to get these classics out in 4K. Better that than nothing.
And yet many still refuse to embrace the digital medium out of spite.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yeah, yeah, whatever people want to do is fine with me, but I choose to have my movies anyway I can get them whether on disc or digital.
Me, too. As I said in another thread, sometimes I just get tired of waiting for a high definition transfer of a beloved film, and if digital has one and I really want it, it will be mine.

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I rent films to stream but don't buy them as it doesn't feel like ownership to me. There's still nothing to match taking a shiny disc out of a plastic case!

If a movie hasn't gotten a physical release, as Chinatown in 4K hasn't, there is no shiny disc to take out of a plastic case.

What then?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If a movie hasn't gotten a physical release, as Chinatown in 4K hasn't, there is no shiny disc to take out of a plastic case.

What then?
There's more to our hobby than 4K discs! I still watch DVDs. I think I'll watch my DVD of Chinatown in the next few days.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Paramount has been pretty good at releasing catalog titles on UHD BD, so there is hope for this at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks