What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Chariots of Fire -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
Robert Harris said:
Look for a young Kenneth Branagh as a Cambridge student.
Also look for then-Cambridge student Stephen Fry as part of the chorus during a musical scene around the 30 minute mark (I believe). He's very easy to spot toward the right of the frame in a full shot.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I watched this last night and yes it's a great bluray. And there weren't even any self-promoting featurettes touting all of the digital work they had to do to get it to look all amazing and "HD."
Just in case Universal reads this, yes that was a crack at you.

JParker

Second Unit
Real Name
James Parker
Adam Gregorich said:
Robert Crawford said:
Great job guys, order completed. :tu:
Crawdaddy
ackbak said:
Ordered! Awesome deal on an awesome movie :)
Well, the sale lasted only for a few hours but I didn't enjoy "Mr. Bean's" intrusion into what would have been a terrific performance of the Vangelis' theme last night!
Some of the very British elements of the Olympics Opening Ceremony may have left some viewers across the world bemused, but at least one character was instantly recognisable - bumbling funnyman Mr Bean.
The London Symphony Orchestra took centre stage playing Chariots of Fire as Mr Bean - British actor Rowan Atkinson - took to a keyboard.
Half-way through the performance he took out his phone and then proceeded to sneeze, while playing one key repetitively.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180052/Bumbling-Mr-Bean-brings-house-leads-orchestra-hilarious-rendition-Chariots-Of-Fire.html#ixzz21w64JDpn
73a5724c_article-2180052-143FE0AD000005DC-683_964x620.jpeg

b32e40ba_article-2180052-1440037C000005DC-597_470x697.jpeg

d5f133d1_article-2180052-143FD631000005DC-312_964x526.jpeg

e42d3071_article-2180052-143FD5AA000005DC-146_964x529.jpeg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I didn't think it was that funny, but out of curiosity from mainly this thread, it got me to play that BRD first thing this morning. It is a great looking disc.

Crawdaddy

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
I enjoyed seeing Rowan Atkinson last night. I thought the Mr. Bean segment was appropriate and funny. Like Robert, I now want to check out my copy of Chariots of Fire. Unfortunately, I'm out of town right now and can't watch it.

Real Name
Alan Paterson
I'd love to check out my UK copy of 'Chariots of Fire' but it's still en route from the slowest supplier I've ever known, the mighty Zavvi.
I enjoyed the Mr Bean section of the Olympics opening ceremony as well as Jim Bond meets the Queen.
I was also glad that weather cooled down for the sake of the participants as we've been getting temperatures of around 30 degrees for most of the week. For our American cousins this is nothing but to we pale blue Brits, it's murder.
Alan

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon is currently selling this BRD for $17.99 I don't expect that price to last long either.

Crawdaddy

Real Name
Alan Paterson
Received my UK Blu-ray of 'Chariots of Fire' and it pixilates, breaks up and locks up from 1.34.35 to 1.35.38
It seems as if it's not just my disc as quite a few people have reported the issue. Same problem, same spot on the dial. Just wonder of any of the American discs have this problem?
My disc will be winging its way back to Zavvi soon.
Alan

nealg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Neal
Robert Crawford said:
Amazon is currently selling this BRD for $17.99  I don't expect that price to last long either.
Crawdaddy
Amazon is price matching Best Buy's sale price this week. But you'll pay $12.99 at Best Buy with a $5 "Upgrade and Save" dvd trade-in.
EDIT: Amazon back up to $24.99 anyway.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
My UK disc is skipping too, several minutes. Has to be returned... :f
The soundtrack is mastered with too low a volume as well. I'll switch to the US disc.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Was watching the U.S. Digibook version just now and at around the one hour 17-minute mark my player just froze. Ejected, reloaded, same results in the same spot. Rinse, repeat and tried to skip ahead a chapter or two. Still freezing from about 1:17 until 1:25 or so when I gave up.

Disc was spotless, purchased at Best Buy the week of release.

Player is an Oppo BDP-95, latest firmware, has had no other disc-related compatibility problems in the 18 months that I've had it.

Shame, as I was really enjoying the film. Will try another copy and report back.

EDIT: bad copy confirmed; replacement worked fine. A spot check around chapter 25 might be in order before a full viewing.

The title sequence (the beach run) was shocking - I'd always remembered it very hazy, dupey, etc. Was this the sequence where the orig elements (prior to dupe) were located and re-scanned? In any case, wow. It looks fantastic.

Loved it!

Aanel Victoria

Auditioning
Real Name
Aanel Victoria
AlanPaterson said:
'Chariots of Fire' is a special film for me as I have memories of working with Ian Charleson (who played Eric Liddell) just before he died in 1990. I scripted, shot (on 16mm) and directed a short film ('This Civilised World') for the Institution of Civil Engineers here in the UK and Ian was hired to provide the links and voice over to the engineering projects covered by the film. I remember during the filming that Ian looked very thin and his eyes were quite puffy so we couldn't use many of his close ups. At the same time as we were shooting this film in and around London, Ian was playing Hamlet at the Barbican. I remember his gentle sense of humour and his politeness. Being a fellow Scot probably helped and the shoot went well. It was on a Sunday evening that I heard on the radio that he had passed away and I was pleased that he had got to play Hamlet before he died - the pinnacle of an actor's career. He had bravely requested that it be announced that he had died of AIDS, so that a focus was placed on the problem - and I believe he was the first celebrity to have died of it.
Ian's death, sad as it was, left us with a problem though, as he died before recording his voice over for our film. Another male voice would have sounded odd within the same sequence so in the end we got Sue McGregor to do it and it worked well as a 'two hander'.
Thanks so much for sharing this memory, Alan!
I'd like to ask you a question: Do you still have any footage or voiceovers of Ian from that shoot? I'm asking because I am currently writing the full official book biography of Ian Charleson, and any footage/tapes are most invaluable! Especially from those latter months of his life.
The only footage I have from that period is from his "Songs of Praise" episode which aired in April 1989. He was apparently scheduled to be on a television talk show during his Hamlet run, but is in fact not on it -- I imagine he canceled either because of weakness/illness/incapacitation or maybe his eyes were so puffy it would have been counterproductive.
It would really be grand if you could look into your archives and see if there's anything. If that's doable and if you have time.
Thanks so much for this interesting tidbit,
Aanel

Peter II

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Lassig II
With 4K now becoming more mainstream, has anyone heard whether this will be released in 4K? It seems as though that would be the ideal final format for a copy as close to the original that will be produced.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the BD last night (projected). Really outstanding, filmlike transfer. Very good, well done movie as has been said. Outstanding acting and production.

I've not heard of it coming to 4K, but the BD is very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks