What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Casablanca -- in HD-DVD (1 Viewer)

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Here I am, cruising along, not worrying about getting an HD player until prices come down, etc, and now my heart skips a beat, the drool starts running, and I have to start thinking about getting a dang HD player....thanks WB (sarcasm).....THANKS WB (no sarcasm)!

Danilo S.

Agent
A little question:

I have readed in this review here http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/casablanca.html
that the aspect ratio of the movie in this HD DVD is 1.33:1.

Question:
I know that many movies made before 1955 was in the 1.37:1. Was Casablanca one of this?

Anyway, for a 1.37:1 movie can be possible in HD DVD to have the 1.37:1 aspect ratio or it must became a 1.33:1 with a little crop on the left and on the right?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
If I don't misremember completely, although the Academy Ratio frame is technically 1.37:1, the SMPTE has been telling everyone for decades to use a 4:3 aperture plate. In any case, it doesn't make any noticable difference, as the extreme edges of the frame are generally cropped in projection, and that's understood when the photography is done.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The important tell-tale sign that Casablanca has been handled correctly, is that toward the beginning of the film, as we initially meet Rick, he is signing a form. In a number of transfers, the date (1941) is cropped.

Here we properly are given the year.

As I've noted in the past, aspect ratios really don't tell the entire story, and are only part of a proper presentation.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, that settles a big argument on whether showing the complete year was intended or not.:)

Crawdaddy

Danilo S.

Agent

It is possible that SMPTE has been telling to use a 4:3 beccause the original TV system (NTSC or PAL, the standard television) is 1.33:1. But now the HD television is here.

In general someone know if can be tecnically possible to have a old movie shotting in 1.37:1 in the same 1.37:1 on HD DVD?

Danilo

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Thanks Robert - looking forward to my pre-ordered copy!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Phil

M

Member 323668

Just finished watching "Casablanca", "Mutiny On the Bounty" and "Spartacus" this weekend.

All three really have incredible HD transfers, with "Casablanca" and "Mutiny On the Bounty" being absolutely stunning. I can't agree with some negative comments on "Spartacus". The HD-DVD is far superior to both the Universal and the Criterion releases as concerns detail and depth.

I never could have imagined a b/w film from the early 40's looking so detailed and to spot such a fantastic gray scale... Real winners and all three definitely must-own HD-DVDs.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks RAH for wetting our appetites on this one!

I'm thrilled that WB is moving forward with (properly) presenting classic films... like academy aspect ratio BW films... in HD.

The clarity of some of these historic prints was mind-blowing. I expect that many modern HT enthusiasts who've only been familiar with classic BW fare on NTSC TV will have some shocks in store. Very, very good shocks, I should add.

dave :D

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, RAH for answering the questions about the date. I had a feeling that the answer would come when the HD arrived. I look forward to it.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
There is not one store in Chicago carrying CASABLANCA HD. Bet Buy does not even have it in their system. Very frustrating to buy HD titles in person even here in a big city.

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
A nice review at Obsessed but it still makes the too-common error of assuming that old films looked bad because the reviewer a.) Has only seen the films in badly-worn retimed-for-broadcast prints on TV, or b.) Has only seen the films on video and never seen a good print in a theater.

The idea that modern digital technology somehow magically revivifies older films to a level of excellence that they never previously enjoyed is just contemporary arrogance. While prints struck with today's finer grain emulsions probably DO look better than prints struck in 1942 (if high-quality source materials are available), I have every confidence that first-run prints of "Casablanca" looked just superb, thank you.

I hope that the ongoing excellence of HD transfers of vintage films (You get ENORMOUS thanks from me, WB!) will help people understand and respect the extraordinary talent and technology that ALREADY lives in these works of art, and will derail the delusion that this "old stuff" looks good because "we" fixed it.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I hope that Warners has the infinite wisdom to consider "RYAN'S DAUGHTER for HD soon. That DVD would be simply amazing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks