What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Try as I might to find Carnival Row, a new Amazon series, in a non-streamable 4k format, I failed.

And as it sounded to be just up my row, an extremely dark, fabricated world - I discovered a methodology that worked.

It's called "streaming."

Somehow, Amazon, along with a couple of other services, attaches a presumably long cord to one's modem, and literally pours in the requested data.

Something new.

Having now viewed all eight episodes, I've come away loving the series, as well as streaming. One must understand that there's a tad more compression than on 4k discs, so there is a slight downside, but when something is only streamed, there's nothing to lose.

The world takes a bit to understand, and become the veritable norm, but one quickly becomes knowledgable in the various creatures and their histories.

Imagery works nicely. Audio likewise, although Atmos would have been nice. The series is 5.1, and it works fine.

Casting is superb, along with cinematography, direction and writing for the series.

Orlando Bloom and Cara Delevingne are the leads, with Ms Delevingne out fairying even Tinkerbelle. Her look and demeanor are perfect for the role. I do have a single complaint. I believe it was episode three, a lead-in to a love scene between Rycroft and Vignette (a Fey). Possibly the worst I've seen. Took me out of the story.

For those who may also be seeking the excitement of Carnival Row, all one needs is a Prime account, and some app or device via which to view.

I selected Apple TV 4k, as I'm an Apple completist, and it functions beautifully. Initially hiccup or two - presumably based upon data throughput. But the moment I upgraded to about 900 mbs, things cleared up nicely.

I'm told that there are other items to stream.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – What DVD?

Highly Recommended

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Streaming has come a long ways since I first streamed "Lucy Gallant" (1955) on Amazon several years ago. A lot of buffering with that SD stream that wasn't very good quality-wise. Nowadays, I own three Apple TV 4K units for each of my HT setups. On my two LG OLED's, it's rather difficult to tell the difference between watching a 4K stream and an actual 4K disc at my normal sitting position with the video in motion. It's why I made the decision to alleviate my disc storage problem by purchasing more streams and less discs. Now, I still buy my share of discs as I bought 10 of them in one day just on Thursday, but my purchases of them have become less in numbers.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
One of the sound mixers of Carnival Row posts regularly on AVS Forum and says the series was mixed in Atmos, and he has been in contact with Amazon about getting the proper Atmos stream working. Amazon keeps promising him that it's "imminent".

And now that you're discovered Amazon Mr. Harris, I suggest you take a look at The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - it's currently my favourite series from any source.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of the sound mixers of Carnival Row posts regularly on AVS Forum and says the series was mixed in Atmos, and he has been in contact with Amazon about getting the proper Atmos stream working. Amazon keeps promising him that it's "imminent".

And now that you're discovered Amazon Mr. Harris, I suggest you take a look at The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - it's currently my favourite series from any source.

To be quite honest, I’m aware of the various streaming programming, as well as discs, but can’t find the time.

Have been working on screenplays.

That noted, I will watch ep 1 of MMM. Or Mad, Mad Maisel.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It's called "streaming."

Somehow, Amazon, along with a couple of other services, attaches a presumably long cord to one's modem, and literally pours in the requested data.

This retired network engineer / architect got quite a chuckle out of this bit, Robert. Thanks for the laugh. :laugh:

I need to add this series to my Amazon watch list.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I agree with RAH that Carnival Row is a show worth watching. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Streaming has come a long ways since I first streamed "Lucy Gallant" (1955) on Amazon several years ago....

Off topic, but when I streamed Lucy Gallant several years ago it didn't look very good (pan and scan low rez), even though originally it was a VistaVision production that should look wonderful. But I do like the movie, and would like to see it closer to the way it should be seen. Do you know if it's been remastered since?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Off topic, but when I streamed Lucy Gallant several years ago it didn't look very good (pan and scan low rez), even though originally it was a VistaVision production that should look wonderful. But I do like the movie, and would like to see it closer to the way it should be seen. Do you know if it's been remastered since?
I don't have a clue as you apparently watched the same transfer as I.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Shouldn’t this thread be in the TV shows or Streaming section.

We need RAH’s Voice there too. ;)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Oh no, if never-streamers (I love whoever coined that) like RAH can even be persuaded, then physical media is almost assuredly doomed!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I started watching episode 3 but the recycled sets and visuals (winter's coming!) from Game of Thrones killed my interest. A rehash mishmash.

I’m not seeing this. Produced in different locations, countries.

A couple of timecodes would be helpful.

Trancas

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I’m not seeing this. Produced in different locations, countries.

A couple of timecodes would be helpful.
Episode 3 when the soldiers are marching in fairyland, in the snow. They reach the citadel and these appear to be sets from GOT's Night's Watch and Winterfell. Starting at about 4:28. If they didn't reuse sets from GOT then the money wasn't on the screen; it looked like a redeployment of GOT visuals. I was expecting to see Jon Snow.

Carnival-Row-Trailer-1-07.jpg

carnival-row-Sequel smaller.jpg

I stopped watching there. The earlier town shots reminded me of so many other period British pieces - The Sherlock Holmes films with R. Downey, Penny Dreadful etc. It just seemed like I'd been down that same CG trail too many times.

But if the narrative does pick up (???) maybe I'll try again.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I boycott streaming including streaming only offers for 3 main reasons:
- technical quality inferior to discs
- no ownership, no long time control over availability, one is at the mercy of the provider, the net, the offering company, the copyright holder, even the regime in totalitarian countries
- no privacy, big brother knows what you watch and when

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks