What's new

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
So far I've not noticed anyone remember that this rubbish, which had terrible reviews, was known as:

CAN'T STAND THE MUSIC
Never heard that and the film was definitely NOT rubbish.A review is only one person's opinion. None of my friends even read them. All the music numbers are now classics.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
For anyone interested in the film, the documentary, "The Fabulous Allan Carr," is streaming for free on Amazon Prime right now. It has an interesting section on the film and interviews with several of the people in the production. It's a really cool film about a unique individual. The director of the doc has a commentary track on the Blu-ray as well as a second commentary by VP member, Randy Jones.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I think certain people had major blinders on during that era. I recall my grandfather being a huge fan of Liberace without having the faintest clue that he might be gay (Liberace, not my grandfather).
Yup. Liberace and Paul Lynde, as well. I think that most people knew they were Gay, but it wasn't talked about in public, so the thinking was, "If they don't say it outright, assume they're straight." Liberace, especially, was a sex symbol in his heyday and had a huge female fanbase.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Yup. Liberace and Paul Lynde, as well. I think that most people knew they were Gay, but it wasn't talked about in public, so the thinking was, "If they don't say it outright, assume they're straight." Liberace, especially, was a sex symbol in his heyday and had a huge female fanbase.
Same with George Michael when I was in high school. It seemed pretty obvious to me, but a lot of girls didn't seem to clue into the fact that he played for the other team.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Never heard that and the film was definitely NOT rubbish.A review is only one person's opinion. None of my friends even read them. All the music numbers are now classics.

Absolutely! In fact, a recent poll by major film critics and cineastes listed the 10 greatest musical numbers in film history:

1. Gene Kelly singing and dancing the title number in Singin' In The Rain (1952).
2. The barn raising dance from Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954).
3. Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers "Never Gonna Dance" from Swing Time (1936).
4. Judy Garland singing "Over The Rainbow" from The Wizard Of Oz (1939).
5. "America" from West Side Story (1961).
6. Liza Minnelli performing "Mein Herr" from Cabaret (1972).
7. The American In Paris ballet from An American In Paris (1951).
8. Judy Garland performing "The Trolley Song" from Meet Me In St. Louis (1944).
9. Julie Andrews performing the title number in The Sound Of Music (1965).
10 Village People performing YMCA from Can't Stop The Music (1980).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Absolutely! In fact, a recent poll by major film critics and cineastes listed the 10 greatest musical numbers in film history:
[...]
10. Village People performing YMCA from Can't Stop The Music (1980).
Fantastic!! I own the top NINE!!!:rock::dancing-banana-04::rock:

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will

10 Village People performing YMCA from Can't Stop The Music (1980).

Oh no, I'm not falling for this! Once was enough! I'm still trying to shake off getting caught up in that Vincente Minnelli LOST HORIZON musical fiasco :P

(Your wit is sharp as a ginsu knife and as dry as the Sahara and I NEVER know whether or not to believe you, lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Fantastic!! I own the top NINE!!!:rock::dancing-banana-04::rock:
ON DVD or blu-ray I can say I own all of them... on Blu-ray I own 8 and during the Next sale of Criterion I shall own nine of the blu-rays.. that's assuming I can't stop buying CSTM before Swing Time ...

Reactions: PMF

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
If you don't count Never Cry Wolf... ;)
MPW-57797
And the only DIsney movie that a mouse is eaten. :)

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
Oh no, I'm not falling for this! Once was enough! I'm still trying to shake off getting caught up in that Vincente Minnelli LOST HORIZON musical fiasco :P

(Your wit is sharp as a ginsu knife and as dry as the Sahara and I NEVER know whether or not to believe you, lol)
Vincent Minnelli did not direct Lost Horizon. It was Charles Jarrott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks