What's new

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
We saw the Village People live at the Greek Theater in Hollywood just as production on CSTM began. Nancy Walker was there with the Village People and many production people, and many back up singers, and the scent of weed filled the air. But even then people were commenting in the audience that the Village People had better be saving their money.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I remember Allan Carr on a talk show at the time predicting Bruce Jenner would become the worlds biggest box office star because of this film. Yikes.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I remember Allan Carr on a talk show at the time predicting Bruce Jenner would become the worlds biggest box office star because of this film. Yikes.
Jenner's career was a bit longer that Mark Spitz' I remember seeing Mark on an episode of Emergency! and thinking to myself that he can't be that bad of an actor :( if he wanted an acting carer ...

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Well I have fond memories of it but I'm in Australia -the only country in the world where it was a hit and a smash one at that!
Must be all our sunshine!!!

It was the same for SWEET CHARITY-longest run in a cinema in the world in Sydney.- 9 months

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Other than that, (& yes, Will Krupp, I'm talking to you) I don't think CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC at all expressed what it was like living in New York. At least, it wasn't the city I lived in.

Heheh. Well that's why I said it was an evocation more than a record. It was what a 13 year old gayling imagined it to be like and WANTED it to be like. I grew up two hours outside of the city but it was an important and, at that age, a seemingly insurmountable two hours. My love for it is certainly tied to nostalgia but I make no apologies!!! :P

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I remember seeing the the movie with my friends on opening night in Louisville, Kentucky. There weren't more than 10 people in the audience, and even though the movie was admittedly not very good, it sure was a lot of fun. Revisiting it over the years just brings a smile to my face. It has a goofy likability, boundless energy in the musical numbers, a sense of fun from director Nancy Walker, and -- as someone already pointed out in an earlier post -- it's the gayest movie ever made without the word gay being spoken. As for interesting casting, not only have you got Bruce Jenner, but you've got June Havoc ( the real-life Baby June from "Gypsy".) And the title number, which ends the movie, is just a joyous celebration that goes on and on. It's indescribably delicious for those with an appetite for something campy and innocent. Do the "Milk Shake"!

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
This movie occupies a very specialized and rarified genre for me... "WTF Movies". They're the sorts of films that you can't wrap your head around anyone making them or thinking there was an audience for it. But damn the torpedos, it got made and got made BIG! Lisztomania, Caligula, Skidoo, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Myra Breckenridge, Exorcist II, Can't Stop the Music... These aren't just bad movies, they're bad on an epic scale. If you like Can't Stop The Music, you'll probably also like Body Rock starring Lorenzo Lamas. It's not quite as lavish; but like all WTF Movies, it seems like it was shot in some alternate universe that never really existed. I like that.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
This movie occupies a very specialized and rarified genre for me... "WTF Movies". They're the sorts of films that you can't wrap your head around anyone making them or thinking there was an audience for it. But damn the torpedos, it got made and got made BIG! Lisztomania, Caligula, Skidoo, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Myra Breckenridge, Exorcist II, Can't Stop the Music... These aren't just bad movies, they're bad on an epic scale. If you like Can't Stop The Music, you'll probably also like Body Rock starring Lorenzo Lamas. It's not quite as lavish; but like all WTF Movies, it seems like it was shot in some alternate universe that never really existed. I like that.

You can easily add Skatetown USA (1979) and Thank God It’s Friday (1978) to that list of WTF Movies of the era.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It's not just good enough to be insipid and overly enthusiastic. You have to inject unconventional sex or hideous lack of taste and pretend it's all fine and dandy. The reset button has to be hit making the audience shake their heads and wonder how it got made. In Can't Stop the Music, that moment is the YMCA production number. In Caligula it was Malcom McDowell sleeping with a horse. Solange's Happiness, it's the scene with the father and his son discussing child molestation. Glen or Glenda whiplashes from transvestites to a hyped up Lugosi frothing at the mouth. The king of all WTF movies was Lisztomania. It hit every mark of bad taste from giant ten foot phalluses to armies of children dancing and marching in Nazi uniforms. Taxidermia runs a close second with an incredibly fat man participating in Olympic regurgitation events and becoming a bloated whale that is devoured by giant housecats. I wish all of these films were on blu-ray, but I think a lot of them are forever relegated to DVD.

This would make a great film festival.

MDS

Agent
Real Name
Michael Shayne
Fun fact #1
The only PG-rated film that shows full frontal male nudity.

Fun fact #2
The movie Cruising was filming in the Village at the same time and protesters confused them because they both had leatherman. Allan Carr finally had to tell the protesters: We’re the good guys making a good gay film. Cruising is the bad gay film, and they are filming three blocks that way! Go throws eggs and blow whistles there.

Fun Fact #3
Despite making their concert debut at the end of the film a majority of the audience is dressed up like the Village People.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Fun fact #1
The only PG-rated film that shows full frontal male nudity.
If you don't count Never Cry Wolf... ;)
MPW-57797

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It really captures NYC in 1979 to a tea. And Bruce Jenner in Daisy Dukes! The YMCA number is hysterically closely gay.
I don't know that I'd call it "closeted," as there are very few scenes that don't have some aspect that practically shouts "GAY!" They just never come out (pardon the pun) and explicitly use the word, "Gay." I do seem to remember, though, that a lot of Middle America didn't seem to catch on at the time that the Village People were Gay. I could be misremembering things, though, as I was still a kid during Disco's heyday.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I do seem to remember, though, that a lot of Middle America didn't seem to catch on at the time that the Village People were Gay. I could be misremembering things, though, as I was still a kid during Disco's heyday.

I think certain people had major blinders on during that era. I recall my grandfather being a huge fan of Liberace without having the faintest clue that he might be gay (Liberace, not my grandfather).

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
So far I've not noticed anyone remember that this rubbish, which had terrible reviews, was known as:

CAN'T STAND THE MUSIC

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think certain people had major blinders on during that era. I recall my grandfather being a huge fan of Liberace without having the faintest clue that he might be gay (Liberace, not my
I don't know that I'd call it "closeted," as there are very few scenes that don't have some aspect that practically shouts "GAY!" They just never come out (pardon the pun) and explicitly use the word, "Gay." I do seem to remember, though, that a lot of Middle America didn't seem to catch on at the time that the Village People were Gay. I could be misremembering things, though, as I was still a kid during Disco's heyday.

Same with me, except I was a teenager then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks