What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Camelot -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Camelot suffers from too many prognostications, endless debates and little action. If I were filming it, I'd have trimmed that and focused more on the unique music ( meaning, casting different actors in this film, actual singers, ya know?). As it stands, they did cut only a few of the songs, but too bad...I'd always wanted to see "Fie on Goodness" performed but I believe it was cut out of the Broadway version early on.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If you think the movie dragged, be lucky you did not see the stage show. A friend of mine attended the first performance of the preview of the musical in Toronto. It was chosen to open the brand new O’Keefe Centre (now Sony Centre) in 1960,(I’d have been about 9 years old), I believe. He said it lasted over 4 hours and people kept sneaking out the back doors. Apparently almost everyone associated with producing it had a nervous breakdown or heart attack during production.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Camelot suffers from too many prognostications, endless debates and little action. If I were filming it, I'd have trimmed that and focused more on the unique music ( meaning, casting different actors in this film, actual singers, ya know?). As it stands, they did cut only a few of the songs, but too bad...I'd always wanted to see "Fie on Goodness" performed but I believe it was cut out of the Broadway version early on.
Yes, I have read that "Fie on Goodness" was cut on Broadway eventually, but when I saw the national tour in the early 1960s with Jeannie Carson and Biff McGuire, "Fie on Goodness" was in it.

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
If you think the movie dragged, be lucky you did not see the stage show. A friend of mine attended the first performance of the preview of the musical in Toronto. It was chosen to open the brand new O’Keefe Centre (now Sony Centre) in 1960,(I’d have been about 9 years old), I believe. He said it lasted over 4 hours and people kept sneaking out the back doors. Apparently almost everyone associated with producing it had a nervous breakdown or heart attack during production.
That's not really fair to judge a production based on the first preview, ever.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I'm not sure why, but I like "Paint Your Wagon". Always have. We had a chance to see the stage play a few years ago and we liked that as well (different story more music).

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm not sure why, but I like "Paint Your Wagon". Always have. We had a chance to see the stage play a few years ago and we liked that as well (different story more music).
Hey, somebody liked Ishtar too, so don't feel bad. These things happen!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Interestingly, Music Theatre International (which licenses the show) now has a "small cast with minimal tech" version that reinstates "Fie on Goodness," along with "Then You May Take Me to the Fair," which was also cut from the Broadway production.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Interestingly, Music Theatre International (which licenses the show) now has a "small cast with minimal tech" version that reinstates "Fie on Goodness," along with "Then You May Take Me to the Fair," which was also cut from the Broadway production.

That's a fairly recent version, almost a staged concert reading type of thing. I believe the entire cast never leaves the stage. Not sure how much of the book is cut out, but they do emphasize the music.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
That's a fairly recent version, almost a staged concert reading type of thing. I believe the entire cast never leaves the stage. Not sure how much of the book is cut out, but they do emphasize the music.
The concept is that they are a group around a camp, telling the story. It's fully staged and everyone has to learn their lines. It's just they use things there are around the camp to set the scenes. It's quite ingenious. I was surprised at how well it works. You can read it on the MTI website: https://www.mtishows.com/news/now-available-read-camelot-small-cast-version-for-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks